Windows 10: Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently...

Discus and support Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I get this temporary freeze it stops me typing, and I cannot use the mouse for 5-10 seconds or longer until the system does a flicker and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ITLew, May 15, 2020.

1. ITLew Win User

Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently...

When I get this temporary freeze it stops me typing, and I cannot use the mouse for 5-10 seconds or longer until the system does a flicker and then unfreezes. I also see a delay for the cursor to allow me to type into a box. This is very annoying and slows down my work. I also seem to have typing delay delay and my typing is buffered.

I have run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow to try to sort out this problem. Sometimes it seems to improve for short while and then it comes back again but not today as I just ran these checks and it is still doing the freeze etc.

I have now run the Event Viewer and have seen some errors - here is a dump of the Event properties from an ERROR in Administrative Events which is occurring 33 times aday :

Log Name: Application
    Source: ESENT
    Date: 15/05/2020 19:11:45
    Event ID: 455
    Task Category: Logging/Recovery
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DELL-TOWER-5810
    Description:
    svchost 19928,R,98 TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 0xfffffc01 occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="ESENT" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">455</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>3</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-05-15T18:11:45.103312400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>47445</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>LEWIS-DELL-TOWER-5810</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>

<EventData>
    <Data>svchost</Data>
    <Data>19928,R,98</Data>
    <Data>TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: </Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log</Data>
    <Data>-1023 0xfffffc01</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

The other regularly occurring Warning is this one in DistributedCOM source

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date: 15/05/2020 19:33:20
    Event ID: 10016
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: DELL-TOWE\lewis_4
    Computer: DELL-TOWER-5810
    Description:
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    to the user LEWIS-DELL-TOWE\lewis_4 SID S-1-5-21-3298975364-2335526096-752415896-1002 from address LocalHost Using LRPC running in the application container Unavailable SID Unavailable. This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-05-15T18:33:20.890036000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>92088</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{e1f3a2ba-5f91-4ef2-9411-76b640387068}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="1128" ThreadID="2744" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>LEWIS-DELL-TOWER-5810</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3298975364-2335526096-752415896-1002" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
    <Data Name="param4">{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}</Data>
    <Data Name="param5">{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}</Data>
    <Data Name="param6">LEWIS-DELL-TOWE</Data>
    <Data Name="param7">lewis_4</Data>
    <Data Name="param8">S-1-5-21-3298975364-2335526096-752415896-1002</Data>
    <Data Name="param9">LocalHost Using LRPC</Data>
    <Data Name="param10">Unavailable</Data>
    <Data Name="param11">Unavailable</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Please can anyone guide me how to sort this once for all? I will be eternally grateful!

I can run Event Viewer again if you need other details.

Thanks

:)

ITLew, May 15, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 15, 2020
  3. File explorer flickering

Not sure how to explain this.

When in Windows explorer I'll be looking at a list of files in the"details" listing method. When i run my mouse up and down the list of files the type in the file names flickers or jumps around if you will.

No idea why. I shot a short video from my phone

Thanks

TandDHrezik, May 15, 2020
  4. Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently...

When I minimize file explorer it flickers and freezes

I have a very weird problem with my file explorer. I can open it and it maximizes to full size. But if I try to move it or make it smaller, it will decrease it's size to like a 2 inch by 5 inch box and flicker and freeze. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I've run some supposed fixes that I've seen online, but to no avail.

Any help please?

johnsl_834, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently...

1. Flickering file explorer and window sliders - interface freeze for 5 seconds frequently... - Similar Threads - Flickering file explorer

2. Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds: Hello, I have regularly, but randomly on my windows file explorer the following behavior: I create a folder, and then I have to wait 30 seconds before the folder is created, and the file explorer gives me the hand. During this time the file explorer is unusable. The 30 second...
  3. Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds: Hello, I have regularly, but randomly on my windows file explorer the following behavior: I create a folder, and then I have to wait 30 seconds before the folder is created, and the file explorer gives me the hand. During this time the file explorer is unusable. The 30 second...
  4. Flickering File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flickering File Explorer: Hello!My PC runs 64 Bit Windows 10. For the past five days, I have been having trouble with File Explorer. Whenever I click any folder to open, it flickers. It is so annoying. Attaching a link with a short video of the issue....
  5. Flickering File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flickering File Explorer: Hello!My PC runs 64 Bit Windows 10. For the past five days, I have been having trouble with File Explorer. Whenever I click any folder to open, it flickers. It is so annoying. Attaching a link with a short video of the issue....
  6. Flickering File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Monitor Flickers Black for 5 seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor Flickers Black for 5 seconds: HelloI've had some issues with my monitor as it will flicker black for roughly 5 seconds. The PC stays on fine and everything is controllable but the monitor will go black. The monitor does stay on though and indicates it is on. I got this pc in December as a Christmas gift...
  8. Windows freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds: My friend asked me too have a look at his laptop as it was really slow, i ran some tests and determined his HDD was failing so recommended he got an SSD upgrade, so he bought one and i installed windows 10 for him, his laptop came shipped with windows 10 home, so i installed...
  9. explorer frequently freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    explorer frequently freezes: Hi all. I'm running Windows 10 home (10.0.19041) on a Thinkpad X1 carbon. In the last week, explorer has started to freeze very frequently. There are two behaviors that seem to trigger a freeze: 1) When attempting to save-as from Google Chrome, explorer will become...
  10. File explorer flickering

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer flickering: Not sure how to explain this. When in Windows explorer I'll be looking at a list of files in the"details" listing method. When i run my mouse up and down the list of files the type in the file names flickers or jumps around if you will. No idea why. I shot a short video...