Windows 10: Flickering start menu options

Discus and support Flickering start menu options in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just started having this issue a couple days ago and I'm not even sure how to google the issue to even try to fix it. I have tried unplugging my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IronicTrout, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Flickering start menu options

I just started having this issue a couple days ago and I'm not even sure how to google the issue to even try to fix it. I have tried unplugging my keyboard to see if it was a weird key being held down issue but no luck. Does anyone have an idea what the issue may be?

Also when this is happening I can't left click on that button either. I have to right click.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/IronicTrout
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IronicTrout, Mar 12, 2020

2. Flickering Home Screen and No Start Menu

Hi Ben,

This issue could be caused due to some corrupt files or app conflicts. I would suggest you to try these steps and check:

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:

The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn’t open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:

The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues – if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    [*]Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.

Bennet Martin, Mar 12, 2020
  3. SUI
    Sui Win User
    Screen starts to flicker after logging in for a while

Hello

This is an entirely new issue. My screen starts to flicker after logging in/turning on computer for a while, and/or if I launch an app that uses my Nvidia card (my laptop has Optimus), I'm not exactly sure which of these two causes it. For the first while after a restart, the screen appears fine. The flickering appears on desktop background + internet browser as well, so I'm pretty sure it's not a program compatibility issue. The flickering is not severe (the type that looks like horizontal bars sliding up) but it's an annoyance.

Tried:

• Disabling Windows error reporting + problem reporting service in msconfig
    • Restart computer
    • Resetting Nvidia global settings to default in Nvidia control panel
    • Checking for display drive updates in device manager (all up to date)
    • Checking monitor refresh rate (60Hz, can't be changed)

Laptop I'm using:

• i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz
    • 1900x1080
    • Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia GT750M

Thanks for suggestions.

4. Ryan Pag Win User

Flickering start menu options

Flickering Start Menu - Windows 10

Hello,

We recommend following below methods to help you resolve the flickering issues.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Device Troubleshooter

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box, then click it.
    • Select Hardware and Sound, then click Hardware and Devices
    • Follow the wizard steps to run the Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Update the Display Adapter

• Press Windows Logo + X, then select Device Manager.
    • Locate the Display Adapter.
    • Right-click the Display driver icon and click Update Driver Software.
    • Click on Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software option.
    • Restart the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Ryan Pag, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Flickering start menu options

1. Flickering start menu options - Similar Threads - Flickering start menu

2. Start menu flickering ish

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu flickering ish: Hi, my W10 pc just suddenly started to flicker ish, like i cant turn off the pc or search for anything or do anything there. its like jumping between 2 apps and idk what to do, i tried alot of stuff and tbh it's starting to annoy me so much rn. im gonna post a youtube link so...
  3. Start menu flickering ish

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu flickering ish: Hi, my W10 pc just suddenly started to flicker ish, like i cant turn off the pc or search for anything or do anything there. its like jumping between 2 apps and idk what to do, i tried alot of stuff and tbh it's starting to annoy me so much rn. im gonna post a youtube link so...
  4. Start menu flickering ish

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cursor and screen flickers when as Start menu is open

Cursor and screen flickers when as Start menu is open: Hi. My mouse cursor flickers when I open Start menu and a few screen flashes, black flashes in full screen and white flashes only at the bottom about one inch height. I already tried reformatting and reinstalling Windows and reinstalling graphics drivers. My laptop is Acer...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu Flickering

Windows 10 Start Menu Flickering: So my Windows 10 Start Menu is flickering bcoz of Start10 being installed and the install.xml file doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-flickering/305fc297-349b-49d7-a21d-ed85304a413d
  7. My taskbar and cursor is flickering and All options on Advanced Start Up menu seems to not work

My taskbar and cursor is flickering and All options on Advanced Start Up menu seems to not work: My laptop seems fine when i started opening it but after signing in, the taskbar and cursor flickers. I can't click any icons on the task bar and there are no apps on the desktop. They say i should open task manager to see of ot flickers as well but it doesnt open. nor win+r....
  8. New app options in start menu

New app options in start menu: On my laptop, my start menu now has a new look with app options. For example, in Outlook, I can navigate straight to New Email Message (see photo attached). However, on my desktop, these options don't appear. I am running the same build of Windows (10.0.17134) on both...
  9. Photo Veiwer On Start Menu Options ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Veiwer On Start Menu Options ?: I went threw all the options I could find. I want the viewer to show pictures like I have them in folder groups not by the date they where downloaded or taking. Is there a way? Its either collection or albums but both are by dates and that not what I want. If not then I will...
  10. Adding Options To Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding Options To Start Menu: I don't know about anyone else but I had a plain looking start menu that was tiny with no options. It's easy to fix.. Right Click Taskbar > Click Properties > Start Menu Tab > Customize > Then Add what you like. I was going to make a tutorial on this but it seemed too...