Windows 10: floating start menu after resolution change

Discus and support floating start menu after resolution change in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After getting a higher-resolution monitor many windows menus etc. don't scale properly anymore. Start menu: [IMG] The search box is floating on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by _red_mist, Nov 9, 2019.

1. _red_mist Win User

floating start menu after resolution change

After getting a higher-resolution monitor many windows menus etc. don't scale properly anymore.

Start menu:

floating start menu after resolution change [​IMG]

The search box is floating on the desktop, and the start menu is floating somewhere in mid-air.

Furthermore, many other menus are not scaling at all:

floating start menu after resolution change [​IMG]

If I then rescale the window, for some reason it insists on keeping the blue box there and actually reverts to giving me scrollbars in stead of eliminating the useless blue box:

floating start menu after resolution change 02d721b9-825f-42bd-bf0e-db666f0bf40b?upload=true.png

So I'd be very happy to receive a fix for this! I was hoping a restart or something would fix it but it hasn't.

:)

_red_mist, Nov 9, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Help! Windows 10 changed my resolution and can't see anything!!

Hi Etan,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Monitors can support resolutions that are lower than their native resolutions, but text won't look as sharp and the display might be small, centered on the screen, edged with black, or stretched. It is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display
    to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor. Your screen resolution needs to be at least
    1024x768 to have multiple windows and apps on your screen at the same time.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the Display Resolution on your monitor to the recommended level. Follow the below steps

• Open the Start menu and type Settings in the search bar.
    • Click on System and select Display.
    • Make sure that you have set the Change the size of the text, apps and other items to 100%
      recommended.
    • Click on Advanced display settings.
    • Select the monitor and make sure that you have selected Resolution
      to 1920*1080 Recommended.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display adapter then try to change the screen resolution.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.  

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to download the latest display adapters.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Nov 9, 2019
  4. floating start menu after resolution change

desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

I"m not sure what I did, but my desktop has changed. I tried to attach a screenshot, but don't think I did it correctly.

Here's what it looks like when I touch the start button.
    -My start menu items are floating sort of to the right, in the position they normall are.
    -However, this is where it gets wierd.
    -Veritically, on the left
    1. Start button
    2. a button which brings up All Programs
    3. Power button
    <large blank space>
    4. All the way at the top, a button which when clicked shows most used apps.

Joe
    Kalispell, Montana

joemontana, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

floating start menu after resolution change

1. floating start menu after resolution change - Similar Threads - floating start menu

2. Screen resolution changes on start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen resolution changes on start up: My screen resolution keeps changing on start up. Obviously I can change it manually, however it's really annoying that I have to keep doing that.I've tried rolling back display driver and uninstalling them I've kind of run out of ideas now I honestly don't what else I could...
  3. Screen resolution changes on start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen resolution changes on start up: My screen resolution keeps changing on start up. Obviously I can change it manually, however it's really annoying that I have to keep doing that.I've tried rolling back display driver and uninstalling them I've kind of run out of ideas now I honestly don't what else I could...
  4. Changing resolution before start a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing resolution before start a game: HiWhen I start a new game such as rdr2, the resolution is not set and is too big and after few second screen goes off. Until I close the game with alt f4, than I have my screens back....
  5. Changing resolution before start a game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing resolution before start a game: HiWhen I start a new game such as rdr2, the resolution is not set and is too big and after few second screen goes off. Until I close the game with alt f4, than I have my screens back....
  6. Start Menu changing size after playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu changing size after playing games: Not sure how else to describe this. It's not really a problem, more of a concern. After I play a certain game on Steam, or maybe any game (not sure) when I exit the game I find the font in the window for the game has increased meaning it then exceeds the size of the window...
  7. After Start Menu, Windows 10 is getting floating taskbar menu and more

in Windows 10 News
    After Start Menu, Windows 10 is getting floating taskbar menu and more: Microsoft is yet to formally announce all of its Windows 10 redesign plans and it’s believed that the company would introduce the first big update of the year in the fall of 2021. Work on the Sun Valley update has already started at Microsoft, but the company has remained...
  8. Start Menu Changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Changed: How do I get out of this windows 10 start menu? It's on the left of the screen and the desktop image is muted. I have the windows 7 classic shell but it doesn't work like before I updated windows. [ATTACH]...
  9. Start menu starts floating when searching by text input

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu starts floating when searching by text input: Hi all I noticed a curious behaviour with my windows. As soon as I start typing into the Start menu, the menu floats up to the top portion of my screen. Is this how its supposed to work?? I am attaching a screen shots below Click start: [ATTACH] Start to type :...
  10. desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..: I"m not sure what I did, but my desktop has changed. I tried to attach a screenshot, but don't think I did it correctly. Here's what it looks like when I touch the start button. -My start menu items are floating sort of to the right, in the position they normall are....