Windows 10: Floating windows cause misplaced contextual menus

Discus and support Floating windows cause misplaced contextual menus in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I program with two screens. There is something unhappily mismatched about the sizing of my two screens, and it makes a mess in the following way: if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Joymaker, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Joymaker Win User

Floating windows cause misplaced contextual menus

I program with two screens. There is something unhappily mismatched about the sizing of my two screens, and it makes a mess in the following way: if any floating window is open, it pins the scaling of everything to the screen that the floating window is on. Contextual menus on the other screen appear radically out of place, or even offscreen where they are unusable.

I can fix the problem for the moment by minimizing or hiding floating windows, and then each screen handles its own contextual menus properly. But this inhibits my ability to get work done.

Additional observation: if the floating window is split between the two screens, the "good" screen will be whichever one has more than 50% of it. And the portion of the window that is on the other screen will look too large or too small. As I move the window from one screen to the other gradually, there is an abrupt snapping point at which "too large" changes to "normal, and "normal" changes to "too small".

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

Windows 10 Home, version 1903

:)

Joymaker, Mar 28, 2020

2. Contextual menu

Bonjour,

Back to my problem.

Thank you Akheel Ahmed for your answer.

According to the result of sfc /scannow everything is OK in the Windows system.

The problem is that for a few shortcut icons on the desktop (Skype,...) the contextual menu is displayed correctly, but for all others:

• nothing is displayed,
    • the system seem to be frozen, the mouse cursor becomes a spinning wheel for waiting, mouse buttons are inefficient for a few seconds,
    • then the display gets black for less than 1 second,
    • and finally everything comes back to the normal state (without contextual menu !).
    If I display the desktop folder with Windows Explorer, the problem is the same: impossible to get the contextual menu from the involved shortcuts.

Does this give you an idea to solve my problem ?

Pierre

Pierre THOMAS, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Contextual menu

Bonjour,

I just installed Windows 10 in a desktop PC.

I can't get the contextual menu with a right click on a desktop shortcut: how can I get it ?

(Other right clicks are OK)

Pierre

Pierre THOMAS, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

1. Floating windows cause misplaced contextual menus - Similar Threads - Floating cause misplaced

2. Windows 11 Explorer crashes/resets when using contextual menus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer crashes/resets when using contextual menus: I just installed Win11 about a week ago and Windows Explorer crashes/resets when I try to use contextual menus right click. It doesn't happen all of the time, but enough to make it a detriment to actually working with the system.Any ideas on how to stop this?...
  3. Windows 11 Explorer crashes/resets when using contextual menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Explorer crashes/resets when using contextual menus: I just installed Win11 about a week ago and Windows Explorer crashes/resets when I try to use contextual menus right click. It doesn't happen all of the time, but enough to make it a detriment to actually working with the system.Any ideas on how to stop this?...
  4. Misplaced Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Misplaced Error: I randomly get several instances ~20 of a "device phone has either disconnected or stopped responding", but I do not have my phone plugged in at all, the notifications come from nowhere....
  5. Misplaced Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Misplaced Error: I randomly get several instances ~20 of a "device phone has either disconnected or stopped responding", but I do not have my phone plugged in at all, the notifications come from nowhere....
  6. Misplaced Error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Contextual click issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Contextual click issues: Whenever I right click in a folder to copy/paste or do anything, the contextual menu doesn't show up. Here's a sample of the problem attached. I've tried disabling shell extensions related to contextual stuff, didn't help. Any suggestions? It's frustrating as all get...
  8. Slow/Freeze Contextual Menus after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow/Freeze Contextual Menus after Anniversary Update: After the last big update for Windows 10 (the anniversary one) I started having a problem with contextual menus (all right click windows except the ones on the task bar) an in general potion windows, program windows etc. In general what happens is that you can se the...
  9. Contextual sensing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Contextual sensing in Windows 10: In Windows 10, we are very excited to introduce several APIs for contextual sensing that can help you build apps to improve your customers’ daily lives. These include apps that detect presence when customers approach their devices, apps that can detect whether your customer...
  10. remove contextual menu

in Windows 10 Support
    remove contextual menu: remove contextual menu cut and copy and create shortcut. Thank you. [img] 47558