Windows 10: Floppy drive on windows 10 acting weird

Discus and support Floppy drive on windows 10 acting weird in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; About a week and a half ago, I bought a Sabrent USB Floppy Drive from Newegg.com. I don't think the disks are broken, but please correct me if so. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PixeltheGreatMC, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Floppy drive on windows 10 acting weird

About a week and a half ago, I bought a Sabrent USB Floppy Drive from Newegg.com. I don't think the disks are broken, but please correct me if so. I plugged in the drive, and put in a 1.44mb floppy disk which was supported by the drive. I then put a couple of files, and ejected the disk. I turned on the write protect notch, and to see if it had copied the files over, I put the disk back in. But alas, windows said that the disk was unreadable and that I needed to re-format it. Keep in mind, the 5 maxell floppy disks I had were pre formatted. So I tried reformating, but it gave me a very unhelpful error saying that windows couldn't format the disk. Frustrated, I proceeded to try out a different disk. That worked just fine, even when I read it in a different computer with the same drive hooked up. I then tried another disk. Now this is a bit weirder... I tried copying the same files that I had with the first disk to this third one, and windows said that the disk may be unformatted, despite me being able to access the filesystem and see that indeed it was formatted. I think the files that I tried copying over were to big for the first disk, but that doesn't make any sense considering that I was able to copy them without error. Thanks in advance

:)

PixeltheGreatMC, Jul 8, 2020
  2. Noor_Azam Win User

trying get external iomega floppy drive to work with windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the current Windows 10 build version installed on your computer?
    2. Are you able to use the Floppy drive on a different computer?
    As there is a prompt on the screen saying the software is loaded, I suggest you to open the Disk Management and see if you are able to see the device under it.

Follow these steps to open Disk Management.

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Disk Management.

Scroll down the Disk management window and check if the Floppy drive is visible, if yes.

• Right click on the Floppy drive.
    • Click on Change drive Letter and Paths.
    • Click on Change.
    • Assign the drive letter you need and click on
      OK
    • Click OK to close the window.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Jul 8, 2020
  3. Windows 98 phantom floppy drive preventing real floppy drive from functioning

Here try this

Safe Mode

Start Windows in Safe mode and try to access the floppy disk drive. To start Windows 95 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press the F8 key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu. To start Windows 98 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after your computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.

If you can access the floppy disk drive, follow these steps:

Use the right mouse button to click My Computer, then click Properties on the menu that appears.
    Click the Device Manager tab.
    Double-click Floppy Disk Controllers.
    Click the floppy disk controller for the drive you are having problems with, then click Properties.
    In Windows 95, click the Original Configuration (Current) check box to clear it. In Windows 98, click the Disable In This Hardware Profile check box to select it. This disables the Windows protected-mode driver for the floppy disk drive controller.
    Click OK.

Restart Windows normally.

If you can access the floppy disk drive successfully after following the above steps, the following conditions may be true:
    The floppy disk drive controller may not be supported in protected mode.
    There are drivers loading in the Config.sys or AUTOEXEC.BAT file that may be necessary for protected-mode access.
    There are drivers loading in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT file that may be causing conflicts in Windows and need to be disabled.

If you still cannot access the floppy disk drive after following steps 1-7, follow these steps:

Use the right mouse button to click My Computer, then click Properties on the menu that appears.
    Click the Device Manager tab.
    Double-click Floppy Disk Controllers.
    Click the floppy disk controller, and then click Remove to remove the controller.
    Click OK.
    In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.
    Click Next, and then click Yes to allow Windows to detect the hardware in your computer.
    When the Add New Hardware Wizard is finished, restart the computer and try to access the floppy disk drive again.
    Redetecting the floppy disk controller should resolve any addressing problems with the controller by detecting the correct address range. If the floppy disk controller is not detected correctly, there may be a problem with the floppy disk controller. If the floppy disk controller is redetected but you still cannot access the floppy disk drive, there may be a problem with the floppy disk.

ThE_MaD_ShOt, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Floppy drive on windows 10 acting weird

Floppy disk drive and windows 10

This instructions are for windows 7 put it dose work on windows 10

In this day and age, with the fact that most new pc’s do not have floppy drives anymore, as a tech, I still find times where bring out an old reliable floppy is my best way to resolve a problem. Many people still have some “classic” tools that are
    on floppy, or documents or pictures saved on floppy (Before CDRW/DVDRW drives became the norm, floppy disks were the way to store and transfer files).

The problem is that many of the Floppy drives do not have drivers or “official” support for Windows Vista or Windows 7. This post covers just such an issue. I use an Iomega USB drive, and whenever I plug it into my Windows 7 pc’s, I get a message
    that Windows can’t find a driver for my device.

Here are some simple steps to get your drive to work with Vista or W7.

1) When you install the drive you will get the message that your drive needs to find drivers. Just hit Cancel

2) Go to start –> Control Panel –> System –> Device Manager

(Example from Windows 7, Vista may look a little different)

3) When the Device Manager opens you will see a listing for X1DE-USB with a Yellow triangle next to it under Other Devices. On that line item right mouse click (NOTE IM SAYING RIGHT MOUSE) and then select Update Driver software and left mouse click
    (NOTE THAT I SAID LEFT)

4) Now select Browse my computer for driver software

5) Now select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer and click on Next

6) Now you will get a box to select your device type from list, click on “Show All Devices” and click on Next

7) In the following window, for the box on the left select NEC Systems, and then on the right select NEC USB Floppy then click on Next

8 ) You will be told by Windows that “Installing this device driver is not recommended…..” its ok just click on Yes to continue.

9) Lastly you will be told that Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

Now if you look at the Device Manager you will see the listing for Floppy disk drive – Citizen X1DE.

Finally if you look in the My Computer icon, you will see the A: drive listed for your floppy drive

With that you now have a working Floppy USB drive.

Micheal Morris 2, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

Floppy drive on windows 10 acting weird

1. Floppy drive on windows 10 acting weird - Similar Threads - Floppy drive acting

2. Windows acting weird

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows acting weird: Hey, been having some weird problems with windows since building this computer. Specs: Intel Core i7-10700K RTX 3070 Gigabyte OC 8gb 750W Corsair 80 PLUS Gold RM750x Kingston SA2000 M.2 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 C16 So the issues I'm having are:...
  3. Windows is acting weird

Windows is acting weird: Hello, I have had a problem for some time now. Windows is acting weird that when I want to use something related to windows it just randomly keeps tabbing. For example, I click on the windows symbol to open the menu, and windows just scroll back and forth like when I am...
  4. Windows 10 is acting weird

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 is acting weird: Yesterday i noticed that some things are not working properly so i checked windows defender and i noticed there was one threat that i cannot delete, i didn't think much about that and i format windows and the partition where it was installed. But the problem is still there i...
  5. Windows 10 Floppy drive Not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Floppy drive Not recognized: Trying to use 3.5 in external floppy drive on Win 10. Files are not listed; however, appears to be floppy drive listed under Device Manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-floppy-drive-not-recognized/2a060f77-dd4f-4477-b61e-c732db16b112
  6. Windows 10 not starting and acting weird

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not starting and acting weird: I've ran into a major probelm. I'll describe everything that happened and I would really appreciate if someone could help. So basically today my windows just crashed. When I'm trying to restart it one of those things happen: The screen turns black and eventually the PC...
  7. Windows 10 is acting really weird

Windows 10 is acting really weird: I'm using Windows 10.Since a few days ago my laptop started to act really weird. 1. If I write something it gets backspaced on its own. 2. Whenever I open a folder it keeps going backward and forward as if it's working on its own There is no virus detected on the system....
  8. Windows acting weird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows acting weird: My dell computer with windows sometimes makes noise, even when it is turned off. Not the sound of the fan, but it will often use the notifcation jingle. I’ve reset, used windows defender to check for viruses, and looked all over, but I can’t seem to find a solution. If anyone...
  9. Windows 10 volume acting weird

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 volume acting weird: Hi all, I've been having this problem for quite a while now. Basically the sound levels are all messed up. Every time I load a new youtube video, the sound is ridiculously loud initially, like 2-3 times louder than my intended setting. The sound level only goes back to my...
  10. windows 10 acting weird

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 acting weird: for the past couple of days now my pc a sony vaio desktop with windows 10 has been acting weird slow to boot up, no text showing in my files, my Web browsers are also not working and when I shut my pc down I get a blue screen no idea what to do ? [img] 105437