Windows 10: Fluctuating FPS while playing any game all of a sudden

Discus and support Fluctuating FPS while playing any game all of a sudden in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For the past two days I couldn’t play any game for more than 10 minutes without crashing. I’m pretty sure I was overheating too, because my pc was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Joystiqz, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Fluctuating FPS while playing any game all of a sudden

For the past two days I couldn’t play any game for more than 10 minutes without crashing. I’m pretty sure I was overheating too, because my pc was making concerning loud noises but only when I was playing a game or doing something process-heavy. Plus the case was very warm; and I’m only running one fan until I get a splitter cable to use the second. Until then I just took some detachable plates off the back of my case to let more air in/out. Also took apart my pc and its components to thoroughly clean any dust with a cloth and canned air

After that my pc runs quiet again, but now I get random and significant FPS drops in any game instead of just crashing. I wanna say it only drops when I’m shooting or a lot is happening on the screen, but it’s very random and during some fights on Apex it almost isn’t even an issue. The weirdest and most annoying thing about this is that my FPS only drops for a few seconds to 30-50 and then it’s back to 60-70+

I’ve tried:

-Updating all of my drivers to no success

-Lowering game settings to no success

-Restored windows to 3/14/20 because I thought maybe a Windows update I recently installed was doing something weird and causing issues

My pc specs:

OS- Windows 10 x64 bit

CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC

MB- Gigabyte B450M DS3H

RAM- 16gb

This is the first time I’ve had a problem like this and everything was running smooth like 4 days ago. This is beyond frustrating and I’m not sure what else could be causing it. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated! :/

submitted by /u/Joystiqz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Joystiqz, Mar 21, 2020
  2. Dull Byte Win User

Sudden FPS drop/Stutter

Since 2 days ago, I just turned on my Computer, and it starting having issues while I was playing Witcher 3 (starts with decent fpsm and then very low fps, dropping to 35, then 20, and stopping at 12 or so, in a matter of seconds, in a matter of 1min of starting the game), also stuttering without any high demanding programs, randomly. I was playing at 45-60 fps, without any stutters or sudden fps drop. Have tried other games the issue persists. Even setup everything to low settings.
    I have ran several tests with several tools, all seems normal, no sudden memory spikes, or temperature raising out of the ordinary, nothing that would indicate such an fps drop or stuttering.

MSI Afterburner

I also did the reset option on Windows10, completly cleaned out all my personal info from the windows partition.
    So at this point, I am not sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I kept doing some tests to find out the issue. And this happened before and I was able to replicate it. Same thing happened as before, till I set it up to fullscreen, Alt+Tab from the game and then back to the game, FPS went up to 50 again, stable and good, dropped after a couple of seconds. After a bit it went to 2-5 fps, and I had to shutdown the game, because even the sound was getting messed up.

MSI Afterburner 2

In this image those ups and downs in the GPU usage are when the fps dropped really hard and the sound got messed up.

Dull Byte, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Jose Est Win User
    Permanent FPS drop in all games.

Hi,

Outdated drivers, CPU-intensive processes running in the background, virus and malware infection, and CPU throttling are reasons for a sudden FPS drop when playing games.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide a suitable resolution, we would like to know the following:

• When was the last time you have installed the latest drivers on your computer as well as the latest game updates?
    • Have you checked the CPU temperature while playing games?
    • When was the last time you have cleaned your laptop?
    • When was the last time you run a full scan on your laptop to check for virus and malware?

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Mar 21, 2020
  4. Fluctuating FPS while playing any game all of a sudden

screen flikkering and low fps when playing fullscreen games

Hi Malik,

An outdated graphics card is one of the possible reasons why you are getting low FPS when playing games on your Windows 10 device. To resolve this concern, we need to collect more information. Kindly answer the questions below:

• Are you experiencing this issue with all of your games?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the affected games?

Meanwhile, I recommend that you run the troubleshooter for Windows apps. This can help remove conflicts with an app from Microsoft Store. To do this, you may click the link below:

Click here

Also, I suggest that you update your graphics card. To make sure that you have the latest graphics card, it would be best to get in touch with your computer manufacturer.

Wilfred Mac, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

Fluctuating FPS while playing any game all of a sudden

1. Fluctuating FPS while playing any game all of a sudden - Similar Threads - Fluctuating FPS while

2. My pc crashes all of a sudden while playing games.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc crashes all of a sudden while playing games.: I was playing roblox for specific: Monday morning misery then I joined someone I don't know if this helps but when I did my other monitor pc screen started to look like it was glitching and I heard a noise too. So I turned off my pc and turned it back on. Then it does the...
  3. My pc crashes all of a sudden while playing games.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My pc crashes all of a sudden while playing games.: I was playing roblox for specific: Monday morning misery then I joined someone I don't know if this helps but when I did my other monitor pc screen started to look like it was glitching and I heard a noise too. So I turned off my pc and turned it back on. Then it does the...
  4. My pc crashes all of a sudden while playing games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Sudden low fps and cpu usage in all games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden low fps and cpu usage in all games: A while ago I tried playing bg3 as always but I got sudden low fps drops that ive never had.Same with the other games, such as house flipper,ac etc.The cpu usage while running these games is around 10-25% and I have no other background apps that could effect that.I checked my...
  6. fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop: as the title mentioned , my cpu usage drops which coincides with sudden frame drops in my games too. this has been happening on not so demanding , age old titles like dragons dogma etc. totally frustrated and I've tried several things at this point to deal with it. my specs...
  7. fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop

fps suddenly drops while playing games , so does the cpu usage drop: as the title mentioned , my cpu usage drops which coincides with sudden frame drops in my games too. this has been happening on not so demanding , age old titles like dragons dogma etc. totally frustrated and I've tried several things at this point to deal with it. my specs...
  8. Sudden drop in fps while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden drop in fps while gaming: So I play this game called VALORANT on my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop which is about more than a year old and for a few weeks I am experiencing sudden frame drops while playing. It runs fine for a few moments and then again I experience the frame drops. I tried turning off my...
  9. Sudden drop in fps while gaming

Sudden drop in fps while gaming: So I play this game called VALORANT on my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop which is about more than a year old and for a few weeks I am experiencing sudden frame drops while playing. It runs fine for a few moments and then again I experience the frame drops. I tried turning off my...
  10. Fix for FPS drops suddenly for all games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for FPS drops suddenly for all games: I first used to play gta5 and far cry 4 perfectly and other games too, but recently FPS has dropped down to 14-20 frames. So I inquired about Hardware damages at service centers but there was no issue, the technician told me that it was due to the OS. So please help me. My...