Windows 10: Folder Attribution

Discus and support Folder Attribution in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How shall I remove the "Read Only' attribution from a folder / file in Win 10 ?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KaushikGhosh1, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Folder Attribution

How shall I remove the "Read Only' attribution from a folder / file in Win 10 ?

:)

KaushikGhosh1, Mar 28, 2019

2. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 28, 2019
  3. Folder and file attributes

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders.

Warning: If you remove the Read-only or System attribute from a folder, it may appear as a ordinary folder and some customizations may be lost. For example, Windows customizes the Fonts folder and provides a special folder
    view that permits you to hide variations, such as bold and italic. It also permits you to change the folder's view settings in ways that are specific to fonts. If you remove the Read-only and System attributes of the Fonts folder, these customized view settings
    are not available. For folders that you have customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's
    Properties dialog box, the folder icon and other customizations may be lost when you remove the Read-only attribute.

If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt.

Press Windows key + X and click
    Command Prompt (Admin)

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:

attrib -r -s c:\test

Hope this will be helpful.

If you still have further queries.

Pease reply us and we will be happy to help you.

Akheel Ahmed, Mar 28, 2019
  4. Folder Attribution

Folder attributes/customization lost on copy or move in Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update)

This is a head-scratcher for sure!

Create a folder (say, TestFolder) and at the command-line use
    attrib +r TestFolder
    or attrib +s TestFolder to set read-only or system attributes for the folder. Then in File Explorer:

Windows 10 1511
    (10586.589)

• Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on the same partition - Copy has
      same attributes set as the original
    • Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on a different partition - Copy has
      same attributes set as the original
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S elsewhere on the same partition - Folder still has
      same attributes set as before
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S to a different partition - Folder still has

Windows 10 1607 (14393.222 & Preview Build
    14936)

• Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on the same partition - Copy
      loses
      attributes of the original
    • Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on a different partition - Copy
      loses attributes of the original
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S elsewhere on same partition - Folder still has
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S to a different partition - Folder
      loses
      attributes it had before

Besides the purely puzzling nature of the change in behavior, this has direct repercussions because it means customized folders (with non-default icons for example) lose their customization on being copied/moved in Windows 10 1607. This is because for desktop.ini
    to work folders needs to have either the +R or +S attribute set.

• What is the reason for this breaking change and has it been announced anywhere?
    • How can we revert back to the behavior of Windows 10 1511 (and previous Windows versions going back to Windows 7 and probably earlier)?
    • If it is indeed a bug in Windows 10 1607 then when will it be fixed?

Update (Feb. 10, 2017): The bug finally
    seems to be fixed
    in Insider Preview build 15019 but the fix hasn't been pushed out to previous Windows 10 versions (1507/1511/1607) yet.

RobertJWin, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

Folder Attribution

1. Folder Attribution - Similar Threads - Folder Attribution

2. How does win 10 control folder attributes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does win 10 control folder attributes?: I was in the process of changing jpgs in the meta data of my mp3 collection. I'd finished several hundred before the updates stopped taking. I tried dropping to dos and used the attribute -r command to fix this. Although I didn't get an error the change did not take place. In...
  3. How does win 10 control folder attributes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How does win 10 control folder attributes?: I was in the process of changing jpgs in the meta data of my mp3 collection. I'd finished several hundred before the updates stopped taking. I tried dropping to dos and used the attribute -r command to fix this. Although I didn't get an error the change did not take place. In...
  4. How does win 10 control folder attributes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.

Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.: I'm looking for a way to organize files/folders in a numeric order without changing the name of the file/folders.The end result would be i could organize material from class based on the order assignments are given to me.My current system is labeling folders like...
  6. Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.: I'm looking for a way to organize files/folders in a numeric order without changing the name of the file/folders.The end result would be i could organize material from class based on the order assignments are given to me.My current system is labeling folders like...
  7. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.: I am an admin and only user of my PC Win 10 10.0.19045 Build 19045I tried to remove the Read Only attribute of the Download folder or Program Files folder and none would work. It would always revert back to Read-Only. For that reason, I am unable to install a software.I have...
  8. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.: I am an admin and only user of my PC Win 10 10.0.19045 Build 19045I tried to remove the Read Only attribute of the Download folder or Program Files folder and none would work. It would always revert back to Read-Only. For that reason, I am unable to install a software.I have...
  9. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

10. Photos Folder and Hidden/System Attribute Automatically Set

Photos Folder and Hidden/System Attribute Automatically Set: I have several folders located on NAS drive with {random path}\Photos\ When navigating to the folder can go to the path {random path} and the folder will be missing from explorer. There are two ways I can get to the folder without changing my system settings to view system...