Windows 10: Folder disappeared after drag and drop

Discus and support Folder disappeared after drag and drop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I accidentally dragged a folder containing very important docs mostly Word and PDFs from my desktop window into another folder’s window. After dragging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Baji2020, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Baji2020 Win User

Folder disappeared after drag and drop

I accidentally dragged a folder containing very important docs mostly Word and PDFs from my desktop window into another folder’s window. After dragging back into the desktop window, it just disappeared. There was no dialog box showing the move, it just vanished. It’s now even gone from my quick access and frequent folders in File Explorer. I searched the desktop, the entire C: hard drive, the Recycling Bin, shared folders and other folders where I may have accidentally dragged it. Nothing. Would appreciate ANY help, tips or advice here. This was a very crucial folder for me.

Note: PC runs regular scans, so malware and other viruses are unlikely. And I’ve seen no other signs or symptoms of a larger problem.

Specs: Microsoft Surface Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise version 1709, OS Build 16299.1868

:)

Baji2020, Jun 1, 2020

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Jun 1, 2020
  3. Drag and Drop

When using "Drag and Drop":
    • "Alt + left mouse button" to create a Link/Shortcut
    • "Ctrl + left mouse button" to Copy the file
    • "Shift + left mouse button" to Move the file

lehnerus2000, Jun 1, 2020
  4. Win User

Thema:

1. Folder disappeared after drag and drop - Similar Threads - Folder disappeared drag

2. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and drop large folders and permissions: Hello,I am writing to report a problem with the windows storage server in my work place. We have a couple of folders that store 5 TB each on this server. However, when a user tries to drag a folder to another location and immediately cancels the request, the action is still...
  3. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop large folders and permissions: Hello,I am writing to report a problem with the windows storage server in my work place. We have a couple of folders that store 5 TB each on this server. However, when a user tries to drag a folder to another location and immediately cancels the request, the action is still...
  4. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  6. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  7. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  9. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6
  10. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drag and drop: Hi. I have dell inspiron with windows 10. . I used to be able to drag and drop using the left click on the touch pad, but now its not working. I can do shift and use the arrows to mark the text to copy, and then move it copy etc. but in many cases I just need to left click...