Windows 10: Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop

Discus and support Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right sub to call for help regarding my problem. I have this folder on my desktop which I put all my work files but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AdobeMaverick, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right sub to call for help regarding my problem.

I have this folder on my desktop which I put all my work files but suddenly it's gone. I'm going to give as much as possible information because I really need those files for my work.

Last time I accessed the folder was around 7:30 PM (March 26). I went to sleep after a few hours note that I didn't turn off my computer. The next day, the folder I'm placing my work files is suddenly gone in the desktop. I just have 3 folders (Recycle Bin included). I'm not really sure what happened so I search all over the internet for possible solution but none of them worked. I tried 3 or 4 3rd party file recovery softwares but none of them found the folder/file (I'm referring to "folder" since the whole folder was lost) in recycle bin, desktop, and local hard drives. That's weird because when your files was suddenly missing, you'd thought that you accidentally deleted the file.

I searched every local hard drives on my computer but it only shows the shortcut version of my folder and files in C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent. When I click "open file location" or access the target folder, it proceeds with an error: "The item 'File name here' that this shortcut has referred to has been changed or moved..."

I also tried solutions like these: Link 1, Link 2, Link 3

I really have this feeling that I didn't accidentally deleted the folder because I can't find it in recycle bin by using a 3rd party software but I can still see it in my Recent folder and it's really impossible that I may have deleted the folder because it's a heavy sized folder (but not more than 10gb) and Recycle Bin will pop up a message if I'm sure that I'd be deleting the file. I may have misplaced the file or dragged the file somewhere, but as I also mentioned above, I tried looking to all my local hard drives but it only shows the shortcut from Recent folder.

Thank you so much in advance!

submitted by /u/AdobeMaverick
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AdobeMaverick, Mar 27, 2020
  2. kongming Win User

Windows 10 Home desktop folders and files all are missing?

My desktop files and folders all are missing?
    One of my desktop folders are MP3 files are missing and it is only one copy. Magically one of folder MP3 songs are able to be played in my music box in the playing list. It is only one copy.
    I have turned on OneDrive to synchronize my desktop desktop files. Is it the problems?

kongming, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 27, 2020
  4. MohanC Win User

Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop

1. Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop - Similar Threads - Folder Files suddenly

2. Missing folders on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing folders on desktop: Hello,All my folders on the desktop vanished out of the blue. Is there a way to get folder back? I tried to show hidden folder and etc but it is not working. Help!!! Thank you....
  3. Missing folders on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing folders on desktop: Hello,All my folders on the desktop vanished out of the blue. Is there a way to get folder back? I tried to show hidden folder and etc but it is not working. Help!!! Thank you....
  4. Desktop files are missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop files are missing: I have an asus laptop that runs on windows 10, i turned on my laptop today and all my desktop files are gone. Granted I have dropbox and they were saved there. But why are they all missing from my desktop?...
  5. A .EXE file missing suddenly

A .EXE file missing suddenly: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 home single language since 2018.I update my Windows to 1909 version. I recently start to play a game and my game's .exe file suddenly erased or deleted from the game main directory. I have to reinstall the game for now several times for a week. Is it...
  6. Desktop Icon Suddenly Missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon Suddenly Missing: Last night when I finished browsing on Firefox and closed it down, I noticed that one of my desktop shortcuts was missing. I checked my Recycle Bin just in case I accidentally deleted it or dragged it there while clicking, but it was empty. I'm also 100% certain that I...
  7. desktop icons folders missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons folders missing: I accidently pushed something all my icons on desktop are not visible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-folders-missing/527a04e5-6679-4ef3-9c15-69ae680eed23
  8. All files and folders on desktop suddenly gone.

All files and folders on desktop suddenly gone.: I was playing Hearthstone on my laptop and then I exited the game and after I wanted to exit the Battle.net app. When I right click > exit on the app in the icon tray suddenly all of my icons, files and folders on my desktop completely disappeared. The only icons still...
  9. Missing Folders/Files

Missing Folders/Files: Hi, I recently noticed after working on a folder and saving, the next day the folder had disappeared. I checked the used/free values in Windows Explorer and found a 50GB difference from this to the value given by selecting contents and checking properties. I have 6...
  10. Desktop Folder Suddenly Went Missing - Can't Find it Anywhere

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Folder Suddenly Went Missing - Can't Find it Anywhere: I suddenly lost a folder with a bunch of important files in it. I also lost another folder with a lot of family videos. I'm not as worried about the videos because I have those backed up with Google and on thumb drives, but the other folder I need desperately. I have done...