Windows 10: Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive.

Discus and support Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have a large Flash Drive, and it has a lot of memories on it with all of my pictures. I have recently been sending my old photos on my phone to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChloeKlepatzki, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive.

So I have a large Flash Drive, and it has a lot of memories on it with all of my pictures. I have recently been sending my old photos on my phone to it, and when I was creating a new folder [Folder "Other"], I had copied from a zip file to this file. On accident, I didn't realize my error and unzipped the original file and named it "Other (1)" and so I had two folders ["Other" and "Other (1)"], and when I went to delete "Other (1)" At this point I just shut my computer as it was dying and went to bed. The next morning I had to take my lanyard, and I unknowingly just pulled it out of the computer without properly ejecting it. Today I noticed I couldn't delete it, and after going in and seeing this hidden text (See below), I quickly freaked out. (Note, for easier work with the CMD I renamed the original"Other" to "Other Hi" and "Other (1)" to "Other") (So "Other" --> "Other Hi" & "Other (1)" --> "Other")
    Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. 84e774ab-071f-45e1-b7c7-693224740526?upload=true.jpg

I looked up small tutorials and concluded that I needed to change the properties from Read Only. When I tried to select that, it came up with "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." (See more pictures)

Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. d5a765aa-9aa2-4778-9ecd-b6944432920f?upload=true.jpg Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. e6d377fb-4369-4578-8077-b838cb363a9d?upload=true.jpg

After this, I started to panic more, and I found the article "Only a folder on a FlashDrive had a very strange content instead of its content." The only difference was I do not care for the folder, and I only want to delete it. I follow the article and use the CMD and it came up with the phrase "The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect" again (See picture below).

Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. 16b569e4-fb88-4fce-868c-ad18675274ba?upload=true.jpg

I'm just trying to save my memories.

Also, note that this was one of the first times that I had pulled the Drive from my computer w/out ejecting it. I have had Flash Drives lose data before, and so I am super cautious of it, it had just been a late night and so I forgot one time.

:)

ChloeKlepatzki, Oct 28, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Oct 28, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Oct 28, 2019
  4. Arnie Est Win User

Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive.

Is there a key to delete character ahead of the cursor?

Hello Stephen,

As of the moment, deleting the characters next to the cursor is unavailable. You can only delete characters by moving the cursor to the right side. You can always send a suggestion via Feedback Hub app so that it can be added or included on the next update.

To send a feedback on your phone, you can follow the steps below:

• Go to All Apps, search for the Feedback
      Hub app.
    • Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    • Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the
      add
      button (+).
    • Select Suggestion and fill up the box with the details of the feature you want to be added on Windows phone.
    • Select the right category for the suggestion and then submit.

Should you need more help, feel free to ask the Community.

Arnie Est, Oct 28, 2019
Thema:

Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive.

1. Folder has weird characters and will not delete off of flash drive. - Similar Threads - Folder has weird

2. Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters: I returned to some work from last week and it seems there was a code-related mishap - a number of files and folders have somehow been created from my code, using the start of each line of code itself as a file / foldername string: Directory of...
  3. Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters: I returned to some work from last week and it seems there was a code-related mishap - a number of files and folders have somehow been created from my code, using the start of each line of code itself as a file / foldername string: Directory of...
  4. Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows settings has wrong text and weird characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows settings has wrong text and weird characters: Hi, recently installed windows 11 onto a computer and the settings window is all out of whack see the image below. I have no idea what would be causing this aside from the fresh install, and would appreciate any pointers as to how to fix the issue, I have already tried...
  6. Windows settings has wrong text and weird characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows settings has wrong text and weird characters: Hi, recently installed windows 11 onto a computer and the settings window is all out of whack see the image below. I have no idea what would be causing this aside from the fresh install, and would appreciate any pointers as to how to fix the issue, I have already tried...
  7. Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot delete a folder on a flash drive: I have a Samsung flash drive. It has a huge folder with thousands of files on it. I want to empty the drive, but I'm unable to delete that folder. File Explorer just hangs or does nothing no error message. The same when I try to delete individual files in batches. Sometimes...
  8. Flash drive folder and files deletes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Flash drive folder and files deletes: I am using Windows 10 home. I have a Scandisk Ultra 32 GB flash drive. In the last 2 months, 2 different folders disappeared (not deleted). Each folder contained about 1000 records. I tried using EasyUS Data Recovery Wizard to try to recover the missing files and folders,...
  9. Deleted folder on flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted folder on flash drive: I erroneously deleted a folder on a flash drive. The folder contains ~ 22 files Word docs and pdf's. Can I restore it to the flash drive? Thanks, John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-folder-on-flash-drive/58cb0082-d0f5-46a5-a5b2-147e82afe789"
  10. Weird Green Characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Green Characters: Has anyone seen this before. There are weird green charachter in the min/max/close area of "modern" apps and weird green square. [img] 10440

Users found this page by searching for:

1. repair folder with weird characters