Windows 10: Folder icon reverting back to default!?

Discus and support Folder icon reverting back to default!? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have been trying to change my folder icons on my desktop to clear up some space. This is happening for the 3 folders so i will keep it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by casadetrejo, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Folder icon reverting back to default!?

Hello, I have been trying to change my folder icons on my desktop to clear up some space.

This is happening for the 3 folders so i will keep it to talking just about the Games folder.

files are being acquired from Microsoft store app 'icon8' maybe that's the company namemost likely this or related to windows 8 and not 10 which i have

Firstly I'm naming my files 'alt+0160' to add a space so the files will have no names because the icons will indicate what is in that folder. To avoid having duplicate files named that and replacing them, I have been right clicking folder>rename>right clicking text box to rename> insert unicode...> then choosing one. added that for info in case it's needed

The problem I am having is that the folder icon keeps reverting back into the default folder icon.

For ex. I am right clicking folder>properties>customize>change icon> browse> navigating to .ico file.

It worked for a bit but when i went to add game shortcuts into the folder it removed the file back to default so I tried to do the process again with the shortcuts already in the folder and it worked. I started the process with the next folder with a different ico file and hit apply and okay and it removed the first folders ico back to default along with the current folder. After constant back and forth with the 3 folders i managed to get them all showing. I eventually opened one of the folders and all the folders reset to default. I even restarted my pc to see if that will help and it did not.

I keep trying to change the icon files back to the ico files i wanted and it will not take them at all now after hitting apply. somewhat, it will show the icon of the ico file when hitting apply and show in that screen previewing it but once ok is hit and closes that window it doesnt change the folder icon on the desktop and when i go back to the customize i do not see the ico file i wanted to use previewed anymore.

i tried repeating the process with the preinstalled ico files to choose from and they worked in any case i tried with the noname 0160 system or named so i am at a loss to what is happening,

thank you!

:)

casadetrejo, Aug 16, 2020

2. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

thanks, well i know how to change a folder icon i just want to know a way i can make it stick permanently so i can more it with out the folder converting back to the default icon.

dont worry i found how

Live OR Die, Aug 16, 2020
  3. folder icons reverting to default when copied issue

Hi,

To help you with your concern of folder icons reverting to default when copied, please consider the troubleshooting suggestion below:

Use the System File Checker.

System File Checker is a utility available in Windows 10 that checks for system file corruption. It's recommended for advanced users.

Start utilizing this helpful tool by clicking this link:
    Using System File Checker in Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Folder icon reverting back to default!?

How to make a Uber Hidden Folder

• Make a new folder.
    • Change the icon to a blank icon. No icon should appear
    • Rename the folder to a blank by pressing "alt + 255." (NOTE: Press 255 on the numpad) No text should appear.
    • Your done! It is uber hidden. *Big Grin Folder icon reverting back to default!? :D

PVTCaboose1337, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

Folder icon reverting back to default!?

1. Folder icon reverting back to default!? - Similar Threads - Folder icon reverting

2. default folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default folder icon: hello! whenever i make a new folder, my folder default icon doesn't show but it only shows a white paper kind-of icon. i just want to ask how can i put back my default folder icon back? because i've been having a hard time changing it in each folder manually.from, chy....
  3. default folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default folder icon: hello! whenever i make a new folder, my folder default icon doesn't show but it only shows a white paper kind-of icon. i just want to ask how can i put back my default folder icon back? because i've been having a hard time changing it in each folder manually.from, chy....
  4. Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default: When I customize a folder view in it's properties to use a specific template, it will revert back to the General Items template after I have exit and re-entered the folder. This is so annoying because being able to use different templates view types is most convenient. It...
  5. Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customised Folder View Reverts Back to Default: When I customize a folder view in it's properties to use a specific template, it will revert back to the General Items template after I have exit and re-entered the folder. This is so annoying because being able to use different templates view types is most convenient. It...
  6. Reset files and folders icon back to default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reset files and folders icon back to default: Hello, my name is Daniel and a friend of mine has recently told me to use custom desktop themes. So, from the image as you can see, I've done it. But the problem is, I wanted to bring it back to default. I have tried doing some research on google. I uninstalled the app that...
  7. folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default: Like it says on the title. The only thing I can add to that, this is happening on internal HDD that is other than my OS drive. I customized icons but after reboot, they keep reverting back to default. For years this was not an issue and all of a sudden it is... 131381
  8. folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default

in Windows 10 Support
    folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default: Like it says on the title. The only thing I can add to that, this is happening on internal HDD that is other than my OS drive. I customized icons but after reboot, they keep reverting back to default. For years this was not an issue and all of a sudden it is... 131381
  9. Documents folder location reverts back to defaults after 1809 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder location reverts back to defaults after 1809 update: I have my Documents folder relocated to the D: Data drive to save space on my 128Gb SSD drive which is my system drive. I used the Documents folders properties location tab to do this. After the feature update through Windows Update from 1803 to 1809..now under C:\Users the...
  10. Reverting Back To Factory Default

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reverting Back To Factory Default: Do to a bad install to windows10 version 1803, I had to revert back to the factory default - windows version 1607. How do I go about updating windows to bring it up to date. Should I allow the version 1803 to install again? 110328