Windows 10: Folder is Empty when looking at Networked Computer

Discus and support Folder is Empty when looking at Networked Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In File Explorer, when I click on Network and then the icon for my computer, it shows the words "This folder is empty." When I click on This PC in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StevenNichols2, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Folder is Empty when looking at Networked Computer

In File Explorer, when I click on Network and then the icon for my computer, it shows the words "This folder is empty." When I click on This PC in File Explorer, all my drives and folders are visible. I can click on another computer in the network and after signing in, all its shared folders are visible.

If I use another computer on the network and look at the my computer it shows the same message - This Folder is Empty.

Under Network Sharing Options, I have turned on Network Discovery and File/Printer Sharing.

What am I missing?

:)

StevenNichols2, Dec 1, 2018
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Folder is Empty when looking at Networked Computer :)

Frogger, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Difficulty looking thru file folders-computer continually scrolls to the top of the folder.

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Is this issue confined with particular folder or all the folders?

I suggest you to Boot the computer in safe mode, and then check if the issue persists. Once this is done, reboot the computer in normal mode and check.

Safe Mode: Follow the steps to boot to safe mode with networking:

• Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
    • In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
    • Click the ‘Boot’ tab.
    • Under ‘Boot Options’, select the ‘Safe Boot’ option.
    • Choose the type of safe mode by selecting one of the options below the Safe boot check box: Select ‘safe mode’.
    • Click OK and then restart your PC.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 1, 2018
  4. bakasamaz Win User

Folder is Empty when looking at Networked Computer

How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

Hi all I have a question for you all Networking Expert out there. Im running a small networking at my house. this Network consist of 3 computers : My computer, My sister's and My mom's. My computer act as a Network Harddrive, I share a lot of Files in my computer. Sometimes my sister like to pull over some files from my computer, but there are some folders where i dont like her to open. Im thinking to Password Protect a certain folders, so whenever she or my mom open those certain folders a pop up will show up asking for password (im thinking to password protect because sometimes I need to able to access those folders from either my mom's or sister's computer) Is there anyway to do this? third party Program? all computers in my network running Windows XP.

bakasamaz, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Folder is Empty when looking at Networked Computer

1. Folder is Empty when looking at Networked Computer - Similar Threads - Folder Empty looking

2. showing "this folder is empty" when its not

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    showing "this folder is empty" when its not: since i updated my pc from windows 7 to 10 i have had some problems with the local disk Dfor example it shows that the folder is empty but when i search something it shows so its not empty how can i fix it?...
  3. Empty folders

Empty folders: I uploaded folders and files to OneDrive to save them because my laptop needed a new motherboard and would be factory reset. Now I'm trying to get the items back on to my laptop but OneDrive says the folders are empty?In Files Explorer, I can see a cloud beside the items I...
  4. Win10 DLNA can see folders but not video files, folder looks empty

Win10 DLNA can see folders but not video files, folder looks empty: I have streaming turned on. I have added my A:\Video directory where my videos are to my Video library. On my Roku TV, I see my windows DLNA server, and I see the VIDEO folder but cant see the videos, it looks empty even though there are 100 videos in it. Dont see any...
  5. Win10 DLNA can see folders but not video files, folder looks empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 DLNA can see folders but not video files, folder looks empty: I have streaming turned on. I have added my A:\Video directory where my videos are to my Video library. On my Roku TV, I see my windows DLNA server, and I see the VIDEO folder but cant see the videos, it looks empty even though there are 100 videos in it. Dont see any...
  6. windows 10 empty network folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 empty network folder: windows 10 network shows empty computer folder in file explorer and desktop. network sharing is enabled. recent unsuccessful system restore initializing loop. said no system changes made. the network folder contents appear to be the only problem....
  7. Under Network Connects folder is empty

Under Network Connects folder is empty: ?While trying to reset defaults for a keyboard setting on my Alienware laptop, I was instructed to restart in safe mode. Now it's stuck in safe mode, the network and connections folder is empty and all the suggestions require internet. I can't get out of safe mode! I can't...
  8. Empty "USERS" folder on other network computers, Windows 10, 1803

Empty "USERS" folder on other network computers, Windows 10, 1803: Hi, Since one of the recent windows update (unfortunately I don't know which one) the "USERS" folder from my other computer on the network is empty. This is true in both direction meaning whether I'm connecting from Computer A to B or from B to A. Also I do not see anymore...
  9. This folder is empty

This folder is empty: Hi guys, We have a Windows 10 Pro computer that for some reason seems to lose it's files on any attached USB drives. At the moment if I select properties of the USB drive I see that the USB drive has 92GB used, but opening the USB drive itself all the folders are there...
  10. Network Connections folder empty

Network Connections folder empty: HP g6 laptop Had many problems with this laptop. Customer had at least 3 AV programs. Deleted all. (Including 3 Variations of AVG.) Finally got to where I can boot to Desktop, everything looks normal. Except no internet. Network Connections folder is empty. In Device...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network shows computer folder is empty

2. network user folder empty while other computers show

3. networked computer user folder is empty