Windows 10: Folder names in programs folder changed to random letters and numbers

Discus and support Folder names in programs folder changed to random letters and numbers in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Some program folders and shortcuts for various apps have been renamed. The original file names for the .exe files are all intact. I can still use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TarikD, Mar 12, 2020.

1. /u/TarikD Win User

Folder names in programs folder changed to random letters and numbers

Some program folders and shortcuts for various apps have been renamed. The original file names for the .exe files are all intact.

I can still use windows search to look up "Microsoft Word," for example, but then the result "$R4EBKO7" comes up with the Microsoft Word icon next to it.

Any ideas on why this could have happened and if there is any action I need to take?

https://i.imgur.com/4SRkyKH.png

https://i.imgur.com/NEcUws1.png

submitted by /u/TarikD
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TarikD, Mar 12, 2020
  2. Bevier Win User

PSA: RealTemp Won't Run from Folder with Greek Letter in Name

I have a very specific filing system that makes use of Greek letters in certain file names.

When trying to run RealTemp, I had an issue that the driver could not be found. It ended up being that the program didn't like the parent folder I put it in. The parent folder had a Greek letter in it and refused to run. If I deleted the Greek letter from the name, it would run perfectly.

Of course, this is not a common issue for people, but I thought I would post it nonetheless.

Bevier, Mar 12, 2020
  3. JediNemo Win User
    User Folder Relocation - drive letter changed / can't log in

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this in.

Here's the scenario.
    You use the (amazing) folder relocation tutorial in this forum. The process succeeds and you have a wonderful stress free year in Windows 10. Then your motherboard fails and you replace it with a different brand. Suddenly, when you get booted back to Windows, you can't log in! You quickly realize it's because you set your 2nd hard drive to drive letter "D:", but when Windows reloaded the disk drives because of the hardware change, it assigned "D:" to the DVD drive, and now you are stuck!

Fear not fellow tweakers, I put in the research and have the solution (this may be redundant from another post, tried to search originally but didn't find anything, so my apologies if duplicating).

Quick detail: First, we are going to boot into the recovery console and use the command prompt. In the recovery console, please be aware that it uses a virtual drive "X:" as the OS drive. Your other drive letters will be changed. Then we will identify which drive letter your OS is installed on. Next we will find which drive letter your user profiles are loaded on. Then we will make registry edits to fix the drive letter changes. Finally a reboot and celebratory dance.

Note: You will need an understanding of command line operations and registry editing. If you do not, please find that information first, I will assume you have this knowledge moving forward.
    Also, there are no screen shots. I'm sorry, I didn't think I would be posting this while I went through the process, therefore I have no screen shots to share. If anyone has to go through this, it would be great if you could share your experience and provide screenshots if available.

***THIS INVOLVES REGISTRY EDITING. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT A REGISTRY EXPERT AND CAN NOT TROUBLESHOOT MISSED STEPS OR ERRORS.***

Step 1: Boot into the Recovery Console and select the Command Prompt option.
    * If you don't know how, basic tutorial: Interrupt the boot cycle 3 times to activate the recovery consol. As the system boots, when you see the windows logo, simply do a hard reset. After 3 times, when the windows logo appears, it will say it is starting "Automatic Recovery". Once that is done, log in with the local admin account and it will (at least for me) automatically open a command prompt.
    * This can also be accomplished a number of other ways including the use of recovery drives, install media, etc.

Step 2: If you are confident on which drive is likely which, you can skip to step 3. If not, you need to determine which drive is which in the registry. To do this you have to use a variety of steps.
    1. Find the original OS drive. In the command prompt, type the following command:
      bcdedit | find "osdevice"
      The command will return osdecice partition=*: where "*" will be the current drive letter.
    2. Now you need to find the drive that has the user profiles folder assigned, from your folder relocation. There are a few ways to do this, I will list one. Type "regedit" in the command prompt to open the registry editor.
    3. In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    4. In this part of the registry you will see all the drive letters assigned to various volumes. From step 2a, you'll know which volume would be your normal "C:" drive. Write down the hex code associated with that drive letter. Next, you need to determine which drive letters represent volumes on physically mounted drives, and which represent removable media. Not getting too technical, basically you just look for all the volumes that have a hex code length equal to that of the OS drive.
      1. For example, if in step 2a you discovered that your OS drive is assigned the letter "W:", then look at the entry with that drive letter assigned. The number of hex entries represents a volume on a physically connected drive. Find all the other drive letters that have an equal number of hex entries. Those are all volumes on physically connected drives.
    5. Explore each of those drive letters to find the one with the user profile folder.
    6. Do this by typing "dir *:" in the command prompt, where "*" equals the drive letter.
    7. Go back to the registry editor (regedit). Find the "DosDrive" key entry with same drive letter as in step 2e. Write down the hex code for that key entry.

Step 3: Before we can make the necessary registry changes, you need to connect to a different registry, called a "Hive".
    1. This link has a more expanded explanation of what we are about to do.
    2. In the key folder pane (left pane) of the Registry Editor window, highlight the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" option.
    3. Next, click on "File" and chose the option for "Load Hive"
    4. You'll have a familiar "open" window, navigate to the os drive found in step 2a.
    5. Navigate to the windows\system32\config folder
    6. Select the "SYSTEM" file option, and click "OPEN"
    7. It will ask for a key name. This is a temporary name and thus doesn't need anything official. Make it easy to remember. I used: "Drive Letter Change". Then click "OK"
    8. Now you will see an option under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for "Drive Letter Change" (or whatever you named it in the previous step.
    9. Open that new folder and navigate down to
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drive Letter Change\MountedDevices
    10. This will look similar to what you found in step 2d, with the notable difference being this is what Windows will look like when not in recovery!

Step 4: Make the registry changes
    1. Delete every registry entry that either starts with \\??\ OR has a hex code LONGER than the physical drives (Step 2d).
    2. You should be left with \DosDevices\ keys with equal length hex codes.
    3. Find the key with the hex code that matches with the OS drive you wrote down in step 2d. Make sure it is assigned the drive letter "C:"
      1. There should be no change in this
    4. Find the key with a hex code that matches your user folder drive, you wrote this down in step 2f.
    5. Right click that key name and chose the option for "Rename"
    6. Change the drive letter to whichever drive letter is needed for your particular setup.
      1. When I did my folder relocation initially, I had set my user folders to be found on the D drive. So on this step I renamed the key from "\DosDevice\E:" to "\DosDevice\D:"
    7. Confirm there are no duplicate or conflicting key entries: each drive letter will be used only once.
    8. *NOTE* For THIS particular set of keys (MountedDevices), you can safely delete everything thing. Windows will re-initialize these values at boot if it detects drives that are unaccounted for. So, if you delete everything besides the C drive and your user profile drive, that is OK! Windows will reconstruct the missing keys for you. Once you can log in, you can use Device Manager to change drive letters at will. This IS NOT TRUE for all registry items.

Step 5: Close the registry editor

Step 6: Type "exit" at the command prompt

Step 7: Click on the button for "Turn off PC"

Step 8: Count to 10, take a deep breath, and turn the computer back on

Step 9: Log into windows

Step 10: Assuming Step 9 worked, celebrate in your preferred method. If step 9 didn't work, double check you followed my instructions. If not, shut it all down and go to the beach!

JediNemo, Mar 12, 2020
  4. WojtasRed Win User

Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Folder names in programs folder changed to random letters and numbers - Similar Threads - Folder names programs

2. Change the name of account and folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the name of account and folder name.: I am in the process of setting up a Windows PC. I noticed that after I went through the prompts to begin using windows and signing on to my Microsoft account that I have a user in my local folders called c:\users\kenp1. I do not want to use that name, but I can't find...
  3. Unknown folder containing a string of letters and numbers as the folder name.

Unknown folder containing a string of letters and numbers as the folder name.: I've been pondering of this file that appeared within the local disk area, it's name is a very strange mix of letters and numbers which makes no sense to me at all. Within the file, is a bunch of Eula files that I, even as an administrator, cannot open. Once I've scouted for...
  4. can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters

can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters: why does my backup exclude the long files made up of random numbers and letters? What are they? I did not create them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-backup-long-files-named-with-random/14fc2dfa-76b4-46b4-bc65-837bd1d5a79a
  5. can't change the name of a folder any folder

can't change the name of a folder any folder: hey, I have a problem, I can't change the name of a new foler even if i just created it, im getting an error message of this kind: "we couldn't find the specific file" im getting it in hebrew so the translation may not be accurate what can I do? windows 10, 100 +GB...
  6. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder: Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library) Here's what is happening in explorer: I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder...
  7. Folder names changed after folder move

Folder names changed after folder move: I have windows 10. I am working with pictures. I created a new file folder and moved about 30 other folders under the new folder. The 30 folders all had names I had created. After the move, all those folder name are gone and just the date of each file folder is there. I...
  8. Documents folder name in chinese letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Documents folder name in chinese letters: Hello! i bought a surface pro m3, 2017 i belive. Finished set up and now i went into the libraries folder and noticed theres no documents folder but in its place a chinese characters folder with the documents icon, there is anothe but dont know what folder it is. Set up,...
  9. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  10. User's Files folder name changed to"Folders"

User's Files folder name changed to"Folders": User's files folder name(In my case its 'Dev') suddenly changed to "Folders". Whatever new account I create it still shows the home folder as "Folders". Pls help..Its really annoying.My brother used the laptop and accidently installed some malware and adware which i just...