Windows 10: Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy

Discus and support Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I used robocopy to backup the entire c:/ of a Win10 machine to an external harddrive. The bootloader of that machine is toast, so I'm doing this from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/aerialanimal, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy

I used robocopy to backup the entire c:/ of a Win10 machine to an external harddrive. The bootloader of that machine is toast, so I'm doing this from CMD on a recovery disk. When the backup is done, if I run dir on the external drive I see nothing, but I can cd into the backup directory manually. It even auto completes for me.

When I then attach the harddrive to another Win10 PC and open the external drive in explorer... Nothing! However if I type the address of the backup folder in the bar I can access everything no problem. CMD behaviour on this second PC is same as seen on original.

When in the backup directory if I right click and go properties, hidden is ticked and greyed out. From the root even with show hidden ticked I still don't see it.

I ended up just creating a new folder on the external and cut & pasting the contents across which has given me a normal directory with all the data in. Still... Interested in what happened!

submitted by /u/aerialanimal
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/aerialanimal, Mar 23, 2021

2. Robocopy copies folders not in Documents to my backup Documents folder on 2nd drive.

Two things:

• You must surroound your folder names with double quotes:

robocopy "C:\Users\my name\Documents . . ." "D:\Dropbox\my name\Documents
      . . ."
    • Robocopy often hides target folders, causing users to think they are missing. Look for hidden folders.

Frederik Long, Mar 23, 2021
  3. Kreij Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy

Pinned & Recent Folder Missing From Explorer in Start

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the quick access and recently oped files option are missing. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Open File explorer.
    • Click on View and then Options.
    • Choose Folder and search options.
    • Under General Tab and under Privacy, make sure to place a check mark on Show recently used files and recently used folder in Quick access.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy

1. Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy - Similar Threads - Folder showing explorer

2. Show number of files in folder in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show number of files in folder in Explorer?: Using Windows 11In Explorer it will show folders and files. For folders, is there a column/field I can add along with Name, Type, Date Created, etc that will show if there are files in that folder, or how many files are in that folder? I basically want to know if folders...
  3. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer: Following recent updates on Windows 10 on both my PC And Laptop I am no longer able to see all the files on my external hard drive. It is a WD My Cloud and File Explorer now only shows Music, Photos and Videos and not the Smartware folder containg my backups. The folder is...
  4. File Explorer "save as" folders not showing

File Explorer "save as" folders not showing: Hi Everyone,Not even sure how to ask this question. It' sounds beyond dumb and I've never seen this before......I was working in Photoshop and went to save a file. When the "save as" window opened, the left side folder directory was totally gone – total white space. I have a...
  5. Robocopy missing some files and folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Robocopy missing some files and folders: We are planning to midgrade our fileserver from server 2012 R2 to 2019. When running robocopy to transfer files and fodders to 2012 R server to 2019, it shows no failed. However, if I check drive size and files copied on these two server, they are different.2012 R2 shows...
  6. Why does Robocopy fail this folder?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Why does Robocopy fail this folder?: I have this weird folder in my windows 10 system drive, this doesn't seem to be a junction point so I don't know what it is, please see picture. I am trying to copy it with robocopy from an admin CLI from a WindowsPE off a Windows Installation Media USB stick, with the...
  7. Certain Folders Not Showing in Windows Explorer

Certain Folders Not Showing in Windows Explorer: Hello, I am experiencing an issue where certain folders are not showing in the list of folders under "Videos". I have a folder in the Videos folder, and I can search for it and search for files in that particular folder, and they appear, but the the folder where they are...
  8. How Robocopy copy the folder start with A?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Robocopy copy the folder start with A?: Hi Recently i want to migrate my laptop to my desktop data, and i want to do it batch by batch So it is the below command is the correct command to copy the folder name start with A robocopy C:\Users\xxx\ a*.* /S ?MIR Z:\Users\xxx\ /COPY:DT /DCOPY:T Thank You...
  9. File Explorer folders not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer folders not showing: I am unable to open File Explorer to the normal view (folders/files listed down left side of screen e,g, Libraries; OneDrive; This PC; Local C; Network etc.). All I see is Quick Access. I have restarted my computer and reset File Explorer defaults. I have tried to...
  10. How to show local (not OneDrive) folders in Explorer after Anniversary

in Windows 10 Support
    How to show local (not OneDrive) folders in Explorer after Anniversary: Hi! Just upgraded to Anniversary Update. Now I am having trouble seeing my local (not OneDrive) Pictures and Documents folders in Explorer. Under "This PC" I can see locals folders for "Desktop", "Downloads", "Music" etc., but for "Documents" and "Pictures" I can only see...