Windows 10: Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files

Discus and support Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 64 bit Version 1803 build 17134.407 I have two Western Digital external USB drives attached to my main computer. One has drive letter E:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris Panny, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files

Windows 10 64 bit Version 1803 build 17134.407

I have two Western Digital external USB drives attached to my main computer. One has drive letter E: and the other is M:. They are identical in content and directory structure and I use them to store the majority of my files. (The C: is used for the OS). I rebuilt the machine about 2 mos ago. Then about 3 weeks back, I tried to play some mp3 music via Windows media player. The Music Library settings are pointed to a folder that resides on E:, although I have the same files backed up on the M:.

WMP reported that it could not access the mp3 file because the file might be in use, I might not have access to the computer where the is stored or my proxy settings might be incorrect. Then I opened the folder up via Windows Explorer and tried to delete one of the many album art files in the same folder. I right-clicked on the file and am getting the pop-up menu shown on the left screenshot below. Notice it requires Admin privileges. Once I click on Delete, I'm getting File Access Denied alert. (This doesn't happen if I try on the M: drive - it just says Delete without the shield).

Another problem that has started within the past few days with this drive is I'm seeing instances where I can't save files that I've opened in a particular app. Earlier I opened up an Adobe Illustrator file, did some editing and then tried to save the file. It wouldn't let me save the file. I had to close without saving. I looked at it in Explorer and it's now at 0 bytes. I can't even copy a file to this particular folder where this Illustrator file was. The whole directory is corrupt now. I've run Error Checking to check for errors but no errors are being reported.

Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files 903df039-0f1a-451f-a509-9e93b1935856?upload=true.jpg Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files c3a2b90f-e1ed-47f7-b388-cf0fa37091a7?upload=true.jpg

:)

Chris Panny, Dec 5, 2018
  2. R9
    r9 Win User

Trouble deleting a folder

Download norton commander for windows and try it. I`m using it for deleting those autorun.inf virus files that stuck to the USB drives or second non system partition. If no file is used from windows folder NC should erase it easy. And there is Hiren`s boot disk that you can download it is bootable and has volkov commander on it similar to NC and it runs in DOS and it will delete windows folder 100%. Or you can make USB stick bootable and use deltree command.

3. Admin folder

Thanks for the suggestion, however when I rclick on the folder I don’t get the option to see “properties”. I tried to delete this folder but I got a message saying that I needed admin privileges to delete. I was afraid to delete this because it seemed
    to be the actual folder rather than a shortcut. I’ve checked location on the drive and it shows the admin file in the desktop area of the hd. Still need help.

Original post was that I had some way put the admin folder on my desktop and wanted to get it where it belongs.

WarrenBrake, Dec 5, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files

1. Folder On External USB Drive Suddenly Requires Admin Privileges To Delete Files - Similar Threads - Folder External USB

2. Deleting files from external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting files from external USB hard drive: This Windows 11 is something else. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do. But the damage is done.I am trying to delete some folders and all files on an external usb drive. The system is telling me I need administrator permission to do this. What am I supposed to do....
  3. Deleting files from external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting files from external USB hard drive: This Windows 11 is something else. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do. But the damage is done.I am trying to delete some folders and all files on an external usb drive. The system is telling me I need administrator permission to do this. What am I supposed to do....
  4. Unable to do anything within File Explorer requiring Admin Privileges

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to do anything within File Explorer requiring Admin Privileges: Sometime last year I had to replace everything within my computer and this included my storage drives which included my installation of Windows 10. I re-installed my version of windows correctly but before this, I had installed it on one of my HDDs E: instead of my SSD C:,...
  5. Admin privileges

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Admin privileges: So I recently transferred windows over to a new m.2 drive which I got got Christmas. But when I was trying to make the account passwordsless, I used the command netplwiz to make it passwordless because that's what I found online, but while doing that I decided to change the...
  6. admin privileges

in Windows 10 Customization
    admin privileges: so i want admin privileges so i can unblock websites but for some reason i cant access accounts, gaming, apps, update and sercuity, personalization, and when i do a admin app it says enter admin user and password i reset my computer but nothing helped and i cantt access...
  7. Apps Started Requiring Admin Privileges

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Apps Started Requiring Admin Privileges: I have admin rights on my computer. Up until about a week ago the vast majority of the apps I ran didn't need to be run as administrator. But all of a sudden stuff won't run unless I run it as administrator. I haven't changed anything as far as user account controls or admin...
  8. Deleted external drive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted external drive files: I tried posting in the technical community but no one replied. Windows 10 was updating and seemed to add my external WD drive to a Storage Spaces. When I tried to recover it using a restore tool it turned the files into something it doesn't recognize when I try to open...
  9. No Admin privileges.

in Windows 10 Support
    No Admin privileges.: I purchased a new Alienware computer 2 weeks ago and a couple days ago I noticed I couldn't access my Pictures folder. I also noticed I couldn't do any Admin tasks. I can't open task manager, Open any exe. files and when I right click on C drive I get Access is denied. I...
  10. USB drive now requires Admin OK for file/folder copies, moves, deletes

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive now requires Admin OK for file/folder copies, moves, deletes: I have a USB hard drive that was created with an earlier Win 10 install. I had to wipe that install because of severe corruption with some of my Office 2013 programs, especially Outlook. I've done a fresh install (Creators' Update) and reinstalled programs, with good results,...