Windows 10: Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is

Discus and support Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 3 TB WD Red, which I have had for around 2 years and it has been working fine, though in these last few weeks I have been experiencing weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by terrorc0n, Feb 5, 2019.

1. terrorc0n Win User

Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is

I have a 3 TB WD Red, which I have had for around 2 years and it has been working fine, though in these last few weeks I have been experiencing weird issues with my torrent client that downloads to this hard drive. Originally I reinstalled my torrent client but that didn't fix anything, checked all drivers, which were OK and ran chkdsk /f which came back as OK and no bad sectors.

I noticed today that my music folder was seemingly larger than any other folder on the drive, when I check the root folder properties it comes back as the entire folder being larger that 3.6TB which isn't possible considering the drive is only 3TB. When I check the properties of the internal files, it comes back with the correct size of 752GB. Programs like WinDirStat seem to show the data as correct but windows file explorer seems to have an issue with it.

After backing all my data up and reformatting the drive, copying over the back up of my music folder still yields the same results. Though I have found that on my other drive I had backed this particular folder up to, it is registering the folder to be a complete 103TB's on disk, which is completely incorrect. I have run antivirus software and Malwarebytes with no success.

I am really unsure as to what this could be, but it does seem to hinder certain programs I am trying to use.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

:)

terrorc0n, Feb 5, 2019

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is - Similar Threads - Folder HDD showing

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB: Hi, Since last Windows 10 Update, File Explorer crashes frequently. One of such crashes happens trying opening the Properties window for a 5TB WD hard disk while using a non-administrator account. The same operation tried with an administrator account don't crashes, but...
  3. hdd not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hdd not showing: I have a 500 gb ssd as boot drive and 1tb mechanical hdd as backup drive. the 1tb does not show in file explorer or disk manager. help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-not-showing/becd1520-d715-4a70-92a9-32402d94ed3b"
  4. Any maximised window is larger than my screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Any maximised window is larger than my screen: For many years I've assumed that the subject issue, described below, was a flaw unique to my particular monitors, a succession of iiyama models, always 1920 x 1200, my preferred resolution. But I was wrong, because I've today replaced my 24" iiyama Prolite E2403WS with a 24"...
  5. picture larger than screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    picture larger than screen: picture is larger than screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/picture-larger-than-screen/7369f263-396f-4c03-8d1f-4a1b0b2c6f13
  6. I want my heading font to be larger than my actual letter how do I do this

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want my heading font to be larger than my actual letter how do I do this: how do i make my heading font larger than my font in the letter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/i-want-my-heading-font-to-be-larger-than-my-actual/48ae5f9d-f78f-4955-aa2e-e1e12efbca3b
  7. moving win 10 os to larger HdD

in Windows 10 Support
    moving win 10 os to larger HdD: Can I do a disk image of my 250Gb C drive with the windows 10 Pro OS & install on a larger 2 Tb HdD? Would it be legal? This is a refurbed Dell 9010 desktop. 113188
  8. Windows 10 update larger than available memory

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update larger than available memory: I just got a notice that I had a Windows10 Update available, and it installed the "Windows 10 Update Assistant" on the desktop. When I run it, I get the error "You'll Need to Free Up Some Disk Space on your PC, 16gb required". The problem is I don't HAVE 16gb. This is a small...
  9. Why does one HDD show more properties info than another?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does one HDD show more properties info than another?: When I do a "Properties" on my J: HDD it shows "Used space", "Free space" and "Capacity" for this HDD. [img] When I do the same for my F: HDD it shows ZERO for all three. See above. BOTH drives are NTFS. Also when I do properties on a folder on J: it shows...
  10. Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD: I'm trying to migrate my Win10x64 OS and apps (not concerned about data) to a larger HDD by using several software apps (Acronis, AOEMI Partition Assistant) in Clone or Copy or Migrate modes. So far, none of them will boot when the older boot drive is disconnected or...