Windows 10: Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is

Discus and support Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 3 TB WD Red, which I have had for around 2 years and it has been working fine, though in these last few weeks I have been experiencing weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by terrorc0n, Feb 5, 2019.

1. terrorc0n Win User

Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is

I have a 3 TB WD Red, which I have had for around 2 years and it has been working fine, though in these last few weeks I have been experiencing weird issues with my torrent client that downloads to this hard drive. Originally I reinstalled my torrent client but that didn't fix anything, checked all drivers, which were OK and ran chkdsk /f which came back as OK and no bad sectors.

I noticed today that my music folder was seemingly larger than any other folder on the drive, when I check the root folder properties it comes back as the entire folder being larger that 3.6TB which isn't possible considering the drive is only 3TB. When I check the properties of the internal files, it comes back with the correct size of 752GB. Programs like WinDirStat seem to show the data as correct but windows file explorer seems to have an issue with it.

After backing all my data up and reformatting the drive, copying over the back up of my music folder still yields the same results. Though I have found that on my other drive I had backed this particular folder up to, it is registering the folder to be a complete 103TB's on disk, which is completely incorrect. I have run antivirus software and Malwarebytes with no success.

I am really unsure as to what this could be, but it does seem to hinder certain programs I am trying to use.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

:)

terrorc0n, Feb 5, 2019

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is - Similar Threads - Folder HDD showing

2. photos and videos are showing as much larger than actual. I Can't open them.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    photos and videos are showing as much larger than actual. I Can't open them.: I moved some photos from my phone to my pc and the sizes for photos and videos are showing as much larger than actual. I Can't open them. other phots are opening fine in other files. I transfer them back to my phone and won't open....
  3. photos and videos are showing as much larger than actual. I Can't open them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos and videos are showing as much larger than actual. I Can't open them.: I moved some photos from my phone to my pc and the sizes for photos and videos are showing as much larger than actual. I Can't open them. other phots are opening fine in other files. I transfer them back to my phone and won't open....
  4. photos and videos are showing as much larger than actual. I Can't open them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  6. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

"Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  7. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

8. Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity: I would like to request for some assistance in regards to a file sizing issue I have experienced. I randomly checked through my folders and discovered one of them showing weird size properties. It is a sub-folder within the HDD partition and it is showing sizes way larger...
  9. Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity

Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity: I would like to request for some assistance in regards to a file sizing issue I have experienced. I randomly checked through my folders and discovered one of them showing weird size properties. It is a sub-folder within the HDD partition and it is showing sizes way larger...
  10. Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity