Windows 10: Folder organization

Discus and support Folder organization in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have recently bought a computer with Windows 10, after many years of Win 7. I was very satisfied with 7. Since installing, I am trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DennisWard4, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Folder organization

Hello.

I have recently bought a computer with Windows 10, after many years of Win 7. I was very satisfied with 7.

Since installing, I am trying desperately to understand what Microsoft thinking is regarding file/folder organization. Although I'm fairly computer literate, I can't get my head around the defaults regarding OneDrive, C:, This PC, and users. For us, a very simple environment - my wife and I on single computer - no network. We want to share all folders/files on what used to be C:.

Can anyone suggest a reference that explains and suggests optimal organization of folders? I just don't get it. And Microsoft seems to be negligent in making this user environment friendly!

Thanks.

:)

DennisWard4, Feb 14, 2020
  2. John Fer Win User

Organize pictures in File Explorer in sub-folders by Year and Month

Hi Joseph,

We want to know more about the issue that you are experiencing. Please answer the following:

• Are you trying to organize folders on your PC or on your mobile device?
    • If you are trying to organize folders on your mobile device, could you please provide us the make and model of your device?

Meanwhile, if you are trying to organize your PC’s file explorer, we suggest checking the reply of
    IanCost on this thread to help you out.

Let us know how this goes.

John Fer, Feb 14, 2020
  3. create folders in start menu to organize

You have to navigate to the All Users Start menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Create folders per your organization - they'll still be sorted alphabetically so plan the names
    Then move the specific application folder to your newly created folder(s).

Universal apps have a mind of their own, but you can organize Desktop apps in the menu list.

Folder organization [​IMG]

It's not perfect *cry

Slartybart, Feb 14, 2020
  4. enso Win User

Folder organization

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

Folder organization

1. Folder organization - Similar Threads - Folder organization

2. Why is my windows recycle bin organizing files by drive and folder location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my windows recycle bin organizing files by drive and folder location?: The recycle bin used to list individual files by name. Recently noticed that now all files are grouped by their location first. Very annoying since I now have to search through individual folders for recently deleted files. [Tried to upload screenshot but kept getting...
  3. Why is my windows recycle bin organizing files by drive and folder location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my windows recycle bin organizing files by drive and folder location?: The recycle bin used to list individual files by name. Recently noticed that now all files are grouped by their location first. Very annoying since I now have to search through individual folders for recently deleted files. [Tried to upload screenshot but kept getting...
  4. Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.

Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.: I'm looking for a way to organize files/folders in a numeric order without changing the name of the file/folders.The end result would be i could organize material from class based on the order assignments are given to me.My current system is labeling folders like...
  5. Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Organize folders by numeric attribute. Assigning number to folder.: I'm looking for a way to organize files/folders in a numeric order without changing the name of the file/folders.The end result would be i could organize material from class based on the order assignments are given to me.My current system is labeling folders like...
  6. Has anyone had a hard time moving /organizing folders in one drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has anyone had a hard time moving /organizing folders in one drive?: This is probably a dumb question, but somehow the quick access icons are in the middle of my folders in my one drive and I can't move them and it's somewhat irritating. The order in one drive goes like this:- Home- One Drive Personal - Steve- One Drive Steve - Company Work...
  7. Has anyone had a hard time moving /organizing folders in one drive?

Has anyone had a hard time moving /organizing folders in one drive?: This is probably a dumb question, but somehow the quick access icons are in the middle of my folders in my one drive and I can't move them and it's somewhat irritating. The order in one drive goes like this:- Home- One Drive Personal - Steve- One Drive Steve - Company Work...
  8. How can I organize my Windows 10 Music folder by date using only the keyboard - NO MOUSE?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I organize my Windows 10 Music folder by date using only the keyboard - NO MOUSE?: The Music folder doesn't have an option readily available to sort files by date; but I want them by date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-organize-my-windows-10-music-folder-by/c3b662cf-9ef4-475f-9543-b263de7b56e6
  9. How can I organize my Windows 10 Music folder by date using only the keyboard - NO MOUSE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I organize my Windows 10 Music folder by date using only the keyboard - NO MOUSE?: The Music folder doesn't have an option readily available to sort files by date; but I want them by date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-organize-my-windows-10-music-folder-by/c3b662cf-9ef4-475f-9543-b263de7b56e6
  10. How can I organize my Windows 10 Music folder by date using only the keyboard - NO MOUSE?