Windows 10: Folder organization

Discus and support Folder organization in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have recently bought a computer with Windows 10, after many years of Win 7. I was very satisfied with 7. Since installing, I am trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DennisWard4, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Folder organization

Hello.

I have recently bought a computer with Windows 10, after many years of Win 7. I was very satisfied with 7.

Since installing, I am trying desperately to understand what Microsoft thinking is regarding file/folder organization. Although I'm fairly computer literate, I can't get my head around the defaults regarding OneDrive, C:, This PC, and users. For us, a very simple environment - my wife and I on single computer - no network. We want to share all folders/files on what used to be C:.

Can anyone suggest a reference that explains and suggests optimal organization of folders? I just don't get it. And Microsoft seems to be negligent in making this user environment friendly!

Thanks.

:)

DennisWard4, Feb 14, 2020
  2. John Fer Win User

Organize pictures in File Explorer in sub-folders by Year and Month

Hi Joseph,

We want to know more about the issue that you are experiencing. Please answer the following:

• Are you trying to organize folders on your PC or on your mobile device?
    • If you are trying to organize folders on your mobile device, could you please provide us the make and model of your device?

Meanwhile, if you are trying to organize your PC’s file explorer, we suggest checking the reply of
    IanCost on this thread to help you out.

Let us know how this goes.

John Fer, Feb 14, 2020
  3. create folders in start menu to organize

You have to navigate to the All Users Start menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Create folders per your organization - they'll still be sorted alphabetically so plan the names
    Then move the specific application folder to your newly created folder(s).

Universal apps have a mind of their own, but you can organize Desktop apps in the menu list.

Folder organization [​IMG]

It's not perfect *cry

Slartybart, Feb 14, 2020
  4. enso Win User

Folder organization

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

Folder organization

1. Folder organization - Similar Threads - Folder organization

2. Can’t access shared folder because of organization’s security policies

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t access shared folder because of organization’s security policies: [ATTACH]If you try to connect to a device, which requires the credentials of a guest instead of proper authentication, you might come across an error […] This post Can’t access shared folder because of organization’s security policies is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Is there any way to organize "All Apps" into folders with sub-folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to organize "All Apps" into folders with sub-folders?: I just upgraded my main machine to Win 10 and "All Apps" is a mess. I had my Win 7 start menu organized in folder groupings that made sense to me. Folders for the main program types, "Applications", "Games", "Internet", etc. Each of those had sub-folders for the individual...
  4. Disable the new folder settings that organize by date?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable the new folder settings that organize by date?: With the new way the folders are set is pretty annoying especially with zip files, as i will unzip it and i have no idea which date the actual zip contents are and i have to search for it, i would rather it simply unzip and be at the front 145833
  5. Easy Guide: How to Organize Messages in Windows Mail into Different Folders using Drag and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Easy Guide: How to Organize Messages in Windows Mail into Different Folders using Drag and...: Continuing our series on using the organization tools built into Windows Mail, we take a look at using the simple drag and drop feature to organize messages into different folders. You can have folders for frequently accessed or referenced messages or sorting by importance....
  6. How does one stop folders being organized by date, when Downloading and Saving a file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How does one stop folders being organized by date, when Downloading and Saving a file?: I can stop normal folders from being organized by date (click on "View", "Group By", and choose "None"), in Explorer, but when I want to DOWNLOAD a file, the Download (or Document) folder view automatically sorts itself by date, and this is incredibly irritating. This is a...
  7. How do I remove time organizer on downloads folder?

How do I remove time organizer on downloads folder?: Hey guys, I need help figuring out how to remove the time organizers on my downloads folder, the stuff labeled "today" "last week" "earlier this year".[ATTACH]...
  8. Organize folders between desktop views?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Organize folders between desktop views?: Something I was curious about - my personal computer is also my work computer, and I was hoping there might be a way to be able to switch between desktop views and keep all my work in one view so that I don't have to see it when I'm not working, without having to create two...
  9. Downloads Folder Organization - How to prevent folders from being grouped separate from files?

Downloads Folder Organization - How to prevent folders from being grouped separate from files?: Hello, My mission is simple. How can I organize my downloads folder so that when I choose to sort the contents of said folder by date modified, ALL of the contents are organized by their date. No matter what option I choose right now, it will sort the various file types by...
  10. Desktop folder suddenly organized like a music folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop folder suddenly organized like a music folder: My desktop folder has switched to being organized like a music folder. Since the customize tab is not available for the desktop folder, how do I switch this back? I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1803 build 17134.472, if that is relevant....