Windows 10: Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed

Discus and support Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a folder within my Documents folder where the ownership and inheritance keep changing, preventing me for editing files in that folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Palazzo, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Palazzo Win User

Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed

Hi,

I have a folder within my Documents folder where the ownership and inheritance keep changing, preventing me for editing files in that folder until I manually fix it.

Most folders under Documents are owned by my Windows account (my Windows email address) and Inherit permissions at a drive level.
    The folder just show 4 inherited permissions:
    Admins:Full Control
    SYSTEM:Full Control

Authenticated Users:Modify

Users:Read and Execute

But, even if I set this particular folder to the same permissions the owner gets changed to the Administrators group, the inheritance is completely removed, and the folder changed to specific permissions:
    The 4 above become folder specific, and 4 new permissions are added:
    SYSTEM:Special
    Administrators:None
    Authenticated UsersFolder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed :Delete
    Users:None

And net, I can't make any changes to the folder contents. I can manually remove these, change the owner a reactivate the inheritance, and all is good, but minutes later, it reverts to the Administrators owner and non-inherited permissions.

This does not happen to other folders under Documents if I edit files i there.

Now, the only oddity about this folder is that I have been backing it up using Google Drive (i.e. I've selected it as the only folder to be backed up to Google Drive on this computer). As I suspected Google Backup and Sync was the culprit, I removed the folder from this (Although left Backup and Sync syncing the Google Drive).
    However, this doesn't seem to have addressed the issue.

My main question is, is it possible to track the process that is changing the ownership/permissions. I've tried setting up auditing, but this doesn't seem to be giving me what I need, so I'd like some guidance on how I can best get that information.

:)

Palazzo, Jun 9, 2019
  2. Skiff640 Win User

Excel changes the owner of file during save

I just duplicated the problem with a brand new Excel file that had nothing to do with the old XP machine ...
    • Signed in as the original owner who is in the administrator group
    • Created a new Excel file in the same folder as above
    • Edited the file with Excel as the original owner ... saved
    • Checked ownership and permissions. Everything looks OK, including the inherited permissions from the folder
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as a second user who is not in the Administrator group
    • Edited the the file with Excel as the second user ... saved the file with changes
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as the original owner
    • Checked ownership and permissions. The ownership of the file has changed to the second user.

The original and second users are the exact same users described in the post above. Uggghhh ...

Clueless in Houston ...

Skiff640, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Inherit permission from the parent folder in Windows Server 2012R2

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want the child folder to inherit the permissions from the parent folder. You can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Right click on the folder to which you want to provide permission.
    2. Click on Security tab.
    3. Click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Enable Inheritance and.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

If that doesn’t help, as you are using Windows Server 2012R2, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums, where we have support professionals who
    are well equipped with the knowledge on Windows Server.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Skiff640 Win User

Excel changes the owner of file during save

When Excel saves my workbook file, it changes the NTFS ownership of the file to the user account that is using Excel. I need it to allow the data to be changed within the workbook, but not change the file's ownership. Any ideas?

• Windows 10 Pro ... clean recent install ... all updates are current
    • Office 2010 (Excel) ... clean recent install ... all updates are current
    • The original owner of Excel file is in the Administrator group
    • Excel user is not in the Administrator group
    • Excel user has the following inherited permissions to the file, through a group, inherited down from the folder in which it resides:
    Modify
    Read and execute
    Read
    Write
    • Excel user does not have the following permissions. I checked this in Properties using the "Effective Access" feature:
    Full Control
    Change permissions
    Take ownership

The only unusual thing is the Excel file came from an XP machine. I don't see how that would affect anything but ...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ... I tried everything I can think of, and have searched this forum and the internet without success.

Thanks

Skiff640, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed - Similar Threads - Folder Owner Inheritance

2. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  3. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  4. Sound balance changes spontaneously

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound balance changes spontaneously: Hello, I am using an HP Omen running Windows 10. Every once in a while the computer will very obviously change the LR stereo balance I think to make the right side quieter or louder. It won't change back for a while, maybe 20 minutes, and then revert to its previous volume...
  5. Files and Folders Permissions Inherited

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and Folders Permissions Inherited: So with windows 7, if i had an external drive D:\ with read and execute only permissions for user X, and these permission were inherited from the drive D:\ if user X opened the drive, selected a folder on the drive and right clicked, there would be a UAC symbol by DELETE,...
  6. Changing Folder Icon in File Explorer - Subfolder Inheritance

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Folder Icon in File Explorer - Subfolder Inheritance: Looking to change the Icon of a folder in file explorer and then having that icon inherit to every subfolder. Is that possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-icon-in-file-explorer-subfolder/03272e65-4e85-42a4-84ff-d3cf8e0ba194"
  7. Change of owner

Change of owner: I have obtained a second-hand PC that runs windows 10. This has the original owner set-up as admin and a second person as 'user account' how do I delete these two accounts and install myself as 'admin' ( I will be the sole user) without altering other programs and settings?...
  8. change owners

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    change owners: how do i change administrators and make this HP laptop running windows 10 that was givin to me mine ? my account etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-owners/21f8316d-80f4-482d-a744-709c18837e35"
  9. Spontaneous Volume Change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Spontaneous Volume Change: Occasionally my volume will change on its own. The volume control popup appears and volume goes up or down, sometimes to a painful result, however usually just annoying (volume down is more typical than volume up). I believe I know the cause. My laptop uses a Realtek Audio...
  10. Spontaneous Theme Change

Spontaneous Theme Change: Over the last few months, Windows 10 has been creating a new unsaved theme and making it current, overriding my preferred theme. I can switch back to my preferred theme and delete the spontaneously-created one, but it's really annoying as it sometimes happens several times...