Windows 10: Folder Redirection

Discus and support Folder Redirection in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I created a folder on Windows 10 and on my Server 2016 I created a GPO that will direct Desktop of the users on the domain to the folder I created on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Angela_515, May 18, 2020.

1. Folder Redirection

I created a folder on Windows 10 and on my Server 2016 I created a GPO that will direct Desktop of the users on the domain to the folder I created on Windows 10. Because I applied wrong the GPO I tried to delete it and unchecked the share box on the folder I created under properties-sharing but now those users that their folders appear on the folder I created on Windows 10 are unable to access the Desktop part on their computer. When they try it gives the error "Location is unavailable" with the text "C\users\Desktop\pictures is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted.". I followed this steps

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Right-click the file folder and select Properties.

3. Go to Security and select Advanced.

4. Check the box for Replace all child object permission entries with permission entries from this object at bottom.

5. Click Apply, then OK

But when I hit apply it gives the error "Failed to enumerate objects in the container" Access Denied

Any idea how to fix this so the folders can go back to their owners

:)

Angela_515, May 18, 2020
  2. Naveen_M Win User

Windows 10 Folder Redirection

Hi Rick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'd suggest you to refer this article on
    Folder Redirection, Offline Files, and Roaming User Profiles overview
    and check the new and changed functionality. However, as this issue is related to server, I'd suggest you to post your query in

TechNet Forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on servers to handle this issue for you.

Regards,

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, May 18, 2020
  3. Folder Redirection Causes Explorer.exe to become Unresponsive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it can be when the File Explorer freezes while redirecting the folder. Thank you for the detail information and the troubleshooting steps provided in the post.

Please check the below article if helpful for the file explorer freeze issue.

Application & System Crashes with Folder Redirection

Folder Redirection - explorer.exe and iexplore.exe crashing

Disclaimer: The ‘Reset Internet Explorer Settings’ feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The ‘Reset Internet Explorer
    Settings’ feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Disclaimer: A ‘clean boot’ starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however, that functionality will return when you
    reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

However, we would suggest you to check with our Technet forum team because this issue occurs with a good number of end users who are connected to a domain network and the file server have Windows server 2016. I would suggest you
    to post your query in TechNet forums,
    where we have the engineers with the expertise to provide solutions for issues related to server and domain network

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 18, 2020
  4. Folder Redirection

Windows 10 Folder Redirection

Hi,

We are planning to Implement Folder Redirection for all the AD Users. Currently all the AD User are having Home Folder mapped to their AD Profiles redirected to a File Server.

My question is, if we create a Folder Redirection policy for Documents what will happen to existing Home Folder and will the Home Folder data will be redirected to Folder Redirection or Only User Profile Documents will be redirected.

Bit confused. Please help!!!

Soumitro Chakraborty, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Folder Redirection

1. Folder Redirection - Similar Threads - Folder Redirection

2. Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection: we have multiple computers joined to a windows server domain with desktop redirection setup. However, not every computer has the same software installed and although each person has their own dedicated computer to use sometimes they need to sign into another computer and if...
  3. Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection: we have multiple computers joined to a windows server domain with desktop redirection setup. However, not every computer has the same software installed and although each person has their own dedicated computer to use sometimes they need to sign into another computer and if...
  4. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder: Hi, Windows 10 and 11 users are receiving "cannot upload file, this file contains system files" error when attempting to upload Excel CSV files to Microsoft NAV. Files are located in their My Documents folder, which is being redirected to a 2016 Windows server using an...
  5. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder: Hi, Windows 10 and 11 users are receiving "cannot upload file, this file contains system files" error when attempting to upload Excel CSV files to Microsoft NAV. Files are located in their My Documents folder, which is being redirected to a 2016 Windows server using an...
  6. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

7. Whenever i open a folder on my windows 10 desktop it redirects me to the "THIS PC" folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whenever i open a folder on my windows 10 desktop it redirects me to the "THIS PC" folder: Please can someone assist me with detailed what to do. my notebook worked fine before this. last night i changed my HP battery by myself. i restarted the notebook and it quickly went to a screen that said " CMOS error" then went to the normal loggin HP screen and the notebook...
  8. Whenever i open a folder on my windows 10 desktop it redirects me to the "THIS PC" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever i open a folder on my windows 10 desktop it redirects me to the "THIS PC" folder: Please can someone assist me with detailed what to do. my notebook worked fine before this. last night i changed my HP battery by myself. i restarted the notebook and it quickly went to a screen that said " CMOS error" then went to the normal loggin HP screen and the notebook...
  9. Whenever i open a folder on my windows 10 desktop it redirects me to the "THIS PC" folder

10. Redirecting the everything going to the user folder

Redirecting the everything going to the user folder: I have a small system SSD-disk that is getting to small for the task. I don't really have a replacement at hand and I can't afford a new one right now. So I know windows and programs running on windows just keep filling the user-folder with all kinds of trash, it's a...