Windows 10: FOlder renames itself and cant be fixed - Downloads folder has become Documents folder

Discus and support FOlder renames itself and cant be fixed - Downloads folder has become Documents folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a problem with the system shortcuts for Downloads and Documents getting tangled up together. Corruption in the registry I presume. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Stephen_Gray_Au, Jan 17, 2020.

1. FOlder renames itself and cant be fixed - Downloads folder has become Documents folder

This is a problem with the system shortcuts for Downloads and Documents getting tangled up together. Corruption in the registry I presume.

The symptom is that I have two "Documents" folders, but one is supposed to be the "Downloads" folder. Both the links jump to the very same actual directory. The Downloads folder has somehow been renamed to "Documents" and points to the "c:/WIndows/Users/XXX/Documents" folder. While there are two shortduts, one has the documents icon and the other the downloads icon.

This has only recently happened as at Jan 2020. I have to suspect a Microsoft update, but cant be sure. Searching this Community, I found a very, very similar issue reported in 2017. The 2017 suggested fix doesnt work for me - and actually it didnt work then either, judging by the comments. However I did try it but when I renamed one folder, after restarting Explorer, it renamed both shortcuts.

The even stranger, I tried to manually add a "Downloads" folder to my user directory, but the system prevents it with the complaint that I cant because "there is already a folder called "Documents". So it is reading the text I typed "Downloads" and converted that to "Documents" and my guess is that this is evidence of it being a registry corruption that ties the two names together.

My own suggested fix;

1. Create a brand new user account

2. Copy all my files to that user.

3. only use the new user from now on

4. wait a few weeks before deleting the old user account unitl I am certain I copied accross everything.

5. Hope that another software update doesnt do again !

Does anyone have an other suggestion of how this can be fixed?

:)

Stephen_Gray_Au, Jan 17, 2020
  2. RSchulte Win User

Documents folder renamed to Downloads

Last night I was copying Pictures and Documents to external drives as backups.

Now I see two Downloads folders and no documents folder. One downloads folder has the download icon, the other downloads folder has the documents icon, and all the documents. The change does not seem to affect Office and Quicken, they find their files without
    a problem. Tried to rename it back to Documents, but it won't rename.

Suggestions?

RSchulte, Jan 17, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 17, 2020
  4. FOlder renames itself and cant be fixed - Downloads folder has become Documents folder

Documents folder renamed to Downloads

Hi Schulte,

I swill be glad to help you with the issue you have with documents folder.

Did you try to rename both documents folders?

I suggest you to reset folders. Please follow the below steps:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. While in File Explorer, click/tap on the View tab, and click/tap on
    Options in the ribbon.

3. Click on the tab that says View and click on Reset Defaults.

Please reply with the results, we are happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

FOlder renames itself and cant be fixed - Downloads folder has become Documents folder

1. FOlder renames itself and cant be fixed - Downloads folder has become Documents folder - Similar Threads - FOlder renames itself

2. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  3. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  4. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Documents folder has become corrupted

Documents folder has become corrupted: Hello, I haven't been able to access my documents folder, and will get a response that it is corrupted and unreadable. I've run DISM and the System File Checker, none report any corrupted files or repairs....
  6. Documents folder has become corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder has become corrupted: Hello, I haven't been able to access my documents folder, and will get a response that it is corrupted and unreadable. I've run DISM and the System File Checker, none report any corrupted files or repairs....
  7. Documents folder has become corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. A OneDrive Folder has become the Windows Document folder

A OneDrive Folder has become the Windows Document folder: Hi, I have just recently set up OneDrive in my new computer. One of the folders in OneDrive is not in the OneDrive folder any longer. Instead, all of the contents of that missing folder are in the Windows Documents folder. I have tried solving this by going to Documents ->...
  9. Rename Documents and Music folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename Documents and Music folders?: hi, just read this forum again and i'm not so sure if my problems related to this or not. Anyway, wanna know can i Rename the Folders and How can i do it. I've marked the folders that i want to rename in the picture. [img] this issue suddenly happens after the latest...
  10. Documents folder has been multiplying itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder has been multiplying itself: Just did a fresh Win 10 Pro 64 bit install. In File Explorer, I've directed Documents folder to server on network. As you can see, the Documents folder has been multiplying itself. This, from ordinary use. Under Properties each copy has the location tab showing the server....