Windows 10: Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

Discus and support Folder "Search" not deleting old file names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names. Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bob_12589, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Bob_12589 Win User

Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names.

Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move that picture from Folder 1A to Folder 2B. When I do a search for "Bob" I get three results:

I get "Bob 1.0", "Bob 2.0" in folder 1A, and "Bob 2.0" in Folder 2B. I cannot access "Bob 1.0" or "Bob 2.0" in Folder 1A as they no longer exist (obviously).

This is incredibly annoying and given how I move and re-name folders with thousands of pictures my system is clogged with probably millions of dead duplicates.

I have never seen this problem on any other computer.

How can I have it so that my system deletes dead duplicates?

:)

Bob_12589, Jan 31, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Folder "Search" not deleting old file names :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Folder "Search" not deleting old file names :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

1. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names - Similar Threads - Folder Search deleting

2. .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?: I tried to move a file Spore.iso into a folder called Spore on an exFAT formatted sd card and it threw Error 0x80070570, so i moved the iso to the sd card, where the Spore folder was and it was fine, when i tried to move it from the sd card to the Spore folder, it threw...
  3. Does copying folders delete older files in old folder with the same name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does copying folders delete older files in old folder with the same name?: I create back-ups manually, with the exception of deleting massive files from the drive/pc that I created a back-up from. Now I find it easy to just ctrl+c/v everything, but what happens with older files in the old folder I replace with the new one? Does it "delete" the...
  4. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  5. Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder: I used to be able to open and search a Windows 10 folder for documents whose name contains a pattern of letters and Windows 10 would display all the documents with that name pattern separately. I could then copy and paste everything displayed into another folder to work on...
  6. Names of permanently deleted files and folders.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Names of permanently deleted files and folders.: is it possible to access Names of permanently deleted files in folder? I accidentaly removed lots of files in my downloads folder, as soon as TRIM is enabled on my SSD it was impossible for me to recover removed files, so I'm interested if its possible to see names of...
  7. Names of permanently deleted files in current folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Names of permanently deleted files in current folder: is it possible to access Names of permanently deleted files in folder? I accidentaly removed lots of files in my downloads folder, as soon as TRIM is enabled on my SSD it was impossible for me to recover removed files, so I'm interested if its possible to see names of...
  8. Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder...

Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder...: Category: Minor Details: When permanently deleting a file from a folder, the name of that deleted file vanishes at once. However, if a file name is searched from the search bar and after it is found, deleting it permanently does not remove the name of that file until the...
  9. Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file

in Windows 10 Support
    Download folder shows old deleted files when search for needed file: I chose not to put this in the virtualization section because I don't think this problem is VirtualBox. I'm trying to run another os on VirtualBox so I download the iso image. All my downloads are found in the downloads folder and the iso I download is shown along with a...
  10. How to delete old windows file/folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to delete old windows file/folder: Hi, I just upgraded my Windows 8 OS to Windows 10 and it has left : Old.windows folder with many included files on my Harddrive. I have already backed up and transferred all the files I wanted to keep from that old version and wish to delete that file and all that is...