Windows 10: Folder share requires password to Outlook.com

Discus and support Folder share requires password to Outlook.com in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am working on a 4-PC network. All are running Win 10 Build 1909. PC-1, PC-2, and PC-3 have no problem accessing all shared folders/files on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Texas Cujo, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Folder share requires password to Outlook.com

I am working on a 4-PC network. All are running Win 10 Build 1909. PC-1, PC-2, and PC-3 have no problem accessing all shared folders/files on the network. PC-4 has a problem accessing any files on PC-1, but full access to PC-2 and PC-3. The problem is that when PC-4 attempts to connect with PC-1, a Windows Security message box appears requesting the password to PC-1's Outlook.com account.

All 4 PC's have identical Sharing Options selected.

Any help from the community is greatly appreciated.

:)

Texas Cujo, Mar 2, 2020

2. Sharing a folder still asking to enter password even after disabling turn off password protecting sharing in Windows 10

Old title: Sharing is not working

Dear Microsoft

I have a basic question about the networking. I have two computer and i want to share the folder named "games" using the lan. I connect both computer (computer_1 and computer_2) in computer 1 i
    shared this folder for everyone to read and write. But the problem is that in the computer_1
    turn off the password protecting but it still requiring the password to access the folder "games". And also there is Microsoft password is not working.

Means turn off password protecting sharing is not work.

I want to access this folder in computer_2 without requiring any password for computer_1.

I used the following process also but it still requiring to enter in the computer_1.

• private (current profile)
    • Turn on network discovery
    • Turn on file and printing sharing
    • Guest of Public
    • Turn on network discovery
    • Turn on file and printing sharing
    • All Network
    • Turn on sharing so anyone with the network access can read and write file in the public folder
    • Turn off password protecting

Hemantgehlot, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Sharing a folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your time and patience to work on this issue.

To know the username of your computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Type whoami in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
    4. You will find the username of the computer, use the username and your password to access the file from the shared folder.

However, if the above steps didn’t help, I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing and check if that helps.

To turn off password protected sharing, please follow the steps mentioned below on your laptop:

1. Press and hold Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    2. Type Control and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Change advance sharing settings.
    5. Under All Networks, click on
      Turn off password protected sharing

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 2, 2020
  4. TAU
    Tau Win User

Folder share requires password to Outlook.com

Network share to require login

Alright what i am trying to do is have a password, or login required to access some shared folders on a computer. All computers are using XP Pro SP2, now i have had situations in the past were i try to access a shared folder over the network on a laptop and it asks for a username and password before it will let me access it. This is what i am trying to setup. Even if i was able to assign the folder permissions for a specific user account.

Any help?

Thema:

Folder share requires password to Outlook.com

1. Folder share requires password to Outlook.com - Similar Threads - Folder share requires

2. Add password to share folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add password to share folder: I have a NAS , for user to share folder in windows 11 / 10 , could the folder be protected by password ? that mean add a password protection to the share folder is possible ?thanks...
  3. Add password to share folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add password to share folder: I have a NAS , for user to share folder in windows 11 / 10 , could the folder be protected by password ? that mean add a password protection to the share folder is possible ?thanks...
  4. Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.: Unable to access network folder to PC on network. 2 PCs on a wired network running Windows 10 Home Edition.Both are signed in with the same Microsoft account.Searching for this issue shows resolutions in 2015 using HOMEGROUP, but that function has been discontinued and i am...
  5. Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.: Unable to access network folder to PC on network. 2 PCs on a wired network running Windows 10 Home Edition.Both are signed in with the same Microsoft account.Searching for this issue shows resolutions in 2015 using HOMEGROUP, but that function has been discontinued and i am...
  6. Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Network Folder Sharing with and without Password

Network Folder Sharing with and without Password: Good Day, I have setup a small Private Network. I will be sharing a few folders, some of them will require username/Password wich will be created as local accounts on the shared folder PC. But i would also like to share another folder with "Everyone" and require no username...
  8. Remove saved password on shared folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove saved password on shared folder: Hello, I am using local file sharing to share files between my network and the people using it, i shared a folder from my pc to another person in the network and it required that i enter my microsoft account on their pc, i did that and it no longer require the password,...
  9. Shared folder password

Shared folder password: How to lock a shared folder with a password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folder-password/ab2aff5e-3696-47d4-9d67-37b948a251a6"
  10. Windows 10 wants password to access shared computer - Shared computer requires no password

Windows 10 wants password to access shared computer - Shared computer requires no password: PC "A" is set to share with no password requirement. PC "A" also has a printer that is set to share on network. Other PCs on network can access computer "A" and print to computer "A" printer. New Windows 10 PC, "B" can't access "A". Computer "B" asks for password when...