Windows 10: Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles

Discus and support Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC running Windows10 and an older laptop that is running Windows7. This is a home computer setup with full admin rights on both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TDS77, Jun 12, 2019.

1. TDS77 Win User

Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles

I have a desktop PC running Windows10 and an older laptop that is running Windows7. This is a home computer setup with full admin rights on both machines.

I am trying to share folders between the machines over the home network. Both machines can see the other, but when I try to access a folder on the other machine I receive the error:

Windows cannot access \\<machine_name>\<folder>

You do not have permission to access \\<machine_name>\<folder>, Contact your network administrator to request access

It looks like a permissions issue, but not sure where to modify this.

All folder have been shared with Advanced Permissions for 'Everyone' being Full Control.

Under Security for the folder, all current users have Full Control permissions, but I have noticed that only r that machine are showing. When I go to the 'Add' the Locations is only showing that machine.

How do I resolve this please?

:)

TDS77, Jun 12, 2019
  2. tonistein Win User

Sharing drives with Win7 & Win10

There's nothing wrong with the hard disks. If I use them with Win7 alone there's no boot scanning. The moment I share with Win10 & switch back to Win7 then the disks have to be scanned. I ever tried to skip the scan but after bootup the disks are not accessible
    in Win7. Those USB flashdrive that I created in Win7 & then used in Win10 which I transferred more data inside is not accessible in Win7 again. It say to format the flashdrive

tonistein, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Network share has no permission in Win10, but has in Win7

Hi,

I recently changed my work computer from a Win7 to a Win10 computer. All our network shares are kept on one old Win2K3 server (I know old, but I'm not in charge of upgrading that).

From my Win10 computer I cannot access two network shares out of several needed. The error says that I don't have any permissions. At the same time I can access them from my Win7 computer.

I checked a few suggestions from google (turn on network discovery, file sharing - on, pasword protected sharing, ...) no luck. Most of the suggestions found are for a scenario where I couldn't access any network shares. But this is not the case. Only two are giving me trouble. Even the way permission is granted is the same for all shares - a Security Group in our AD. I also tried changing AllowInsecureGuestAuth in the registry - nothing.

It was fine till some updates got installed. I've uninstalled them (except KB3211320, which cannot be uninstalled) of them and it worked for a while. Till the next updates (which were only for MS Office and not for Windows).

Any ideas?

KaralisArturs, Jun 12, 2019
  4. drkh Win User

Can see files in folders shared on Win7 machine, but cannot open them

Those shared folders in Win7 are shared with EVERYONE indeed.

---

Now, something very interesting...

If I log into the Win7 PC from the "Open file" dialog window of ANY program in Win10, either before or after logging into Win7 from Win10's File Explorer, I won't have any trouble with opening videos, audios and graphics, with their associated programs, i.e., "Movies & TV," "Groove Music" and Photos.

Thema:

1. Folder sharing between WIN10 and WIN7 troubles - Similar Threads - Folder sharing between

2. Troubles with Shared folder on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubles with Shared folder on PC: I'm trying to access my PC with NAS folders, i have a folder set up but i don't know what the username and password is, i tried my username, email address and full name, and i tried my microsoft login password, my windows PIN, nothing's worked...
  3. Troubles with Shared folder on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubles with Shared folder on PC: I'm trying to access my PC with NAS folders, i have a folder set up but i don't know what the username and password is, i tried my username, email address and full name, and i tried my microsoft login password, my windows PIN, nothing's worked...
  4. trouble connecting to a shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    trouble connecting to a shared folder: I want to open a shared folder from my phone.It doesnt work using my main user account a microsoft account but it work with any new local account.do i absolutely need a local account ? how do i make it so the user i use to access the shared folder doesn't appear on windows...
  5. trouble connecting to a shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    trouble connecting to a shared folder: I want to open a shared folder from my phone.It doesnt work using my main user account a microsoft account but it work with any new local account.do i absolutely need a local account ? how do i make it so the user i use to access the shared folder doesn't appear on windows...
  6. Confused between installing win7 or win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused between installing win7 or win10: So I recently bought a new SSD and installed windows 10 pro on it (which was provided by a friend in a USB) after installing it i noticed that my fan was making a lot of noise . I cleaned it up there was some dust etc on it ig but it is still making that noise which is...
  7. Share a folder win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Share a folder win10: Why is it so difficult to find out how to share a folder when on the same wifi network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-a-folder-win10/e9f45ba0-6638-4b83-bc62-a774176ef25d
  8. How to sharing between Win7 & new Win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to sharing between Win7 & new Win10?: Hello, i have 3 PC on my home network. 1 week ago i upgraded one of them from Win10 Pro (old version) to Win10 Pro (1803). PC1 - Win7 Pro PC2 - Win10 Pro (old) PC3 - Win10 Pro 1803 Before i did upgrade, these 3 PCs were connected with Home Group and sharing was working....
  9. In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In between Win10 and Factory Default Win7: I am in W7 because I became stuck after an unsuccessful restore from image. I know the error code, but I am unsure of why it failed. I am trying to get back to W10 and my head is exploding - as it is day 5. External HD works, but I can't find my backups (pst file from...
  10. T61--Win7 --> Win10 failure: Trouble in paradise

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    T61--Win7 --> Win10 failure: Trouble in paradise: I started an upgrade yesterday on the Lenovo T61 from 7 to 10, Media Tool launched from desktop/Upgrade this PC. The 10 download completed/Updates completed (having to /services/restart same 3-4 times). At the first Install reboot the machine hung at the light blue box with...