Windows 10: Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users

Discus and support Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a WIndows 2012 R2 server, on that server I have about 10 users. My desktop computer is Windows 10, my boss' computer is Windows 10. We are both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by barnmother, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users

I have a WIndows 2012 R2 server, on that server I have about 10 users. My desktop computer is Windows 10, my boss' computer is Windows 10. We are both users on the network. I am trying to share a folder with only him and none of the other employees. I have gone to Properties, Sharing, advanced sharing, checked share this folder, then gone to permissions, I removed everyone and added him and me with full control.

The dang folder is showing up on every computer on the network and they all have access to it and open and change anything in the folder.

No matter what I have tried I get the same result. Hopefully someone here can have an answer on how to fix this. I had no problems with this on my old computer and only he and I could see the folder. That computer suffered a hard drive failure so we are working with a new machine.

All other net work functions see to be working fine. But then we share pretty much everything else.

:)

barnmother, Oct 19, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

How to merge user accounts in Win 10

Go File Explorer, C;, Users. One of them is the one you want everything. Expand to show all folders under it.

Then go to the next user expand, click on a folder. It now shows all of the sub-folders and file Drag these to the folder under the first user.

When this is done close the second user and then open the third user and do it again. Do it for all that are needed.

At the end check the first user and see if the files you need are there. If they are you may nor nee the other users and you may want to delete them there in File Explorer.

lacrumb, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Andrew E. Win User
    I installed Windows DVD Player for Windows 10 But It Does Not Show Up

Maybe it downloaded in a "zipped-file",those usually end up in %Temp% folder,type that in

cmd,or run..R.click on a zipped folder,select "extract all" extract to a user folder that you can locate,

my music,or similiar..If no show,redownload,set the download to a specific user folder..

Also,if it was installed,open cmd,type: services.msc in msc scroll thru,if located,double click on it,start

service,set to auto-start...

Andrew E., Oct 19, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried setting the permissions on ntfs on the share did you remove the Group everyone

Samuria, Oct 19, 2016
  5. yes the group everyone was removed but the folder was still accessible by everyone. Not sure what you mean by ntfs

barnmother, Oct 19, 2016
  6. Alright I have managed to set the permissions now so that while the file shows on all the computers on the network, however, even the people I gave permission to are unable to see it.

I have no idea how I did that of if it is a step closer or a step further away. I have to be missing something really simple

The people that are supposed to see it get a message that they don't have permission to see folder.*Mad

barnmother, Oct 19, 2016
  7. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Oct 19, 2016
  8. Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users

Yes that is exactly how I did the sharing. I have done this multiple times (I have unshared and tried again). Like I explained I have given permission for full control to the person that needs it but they are denied access saying they don't have permission to access the resource. I tried adding a different person giving them full control but they get the same message just as a test.

Do I need to restart my computer and or the server after making these changes to the permissions is that needed?

barnmother, Oct 19, 2016
  9. bump - does anyone have any ideas on this? I have tried restarting all the machines involved. No matter who I add for permissions they cannot access the file, it says they don't have permission.

barnmother, Oct 19, 2016
  10. Still looking for a solution to be able to share this folder.

barnmother, Oct 21, 2016
  11. Neemobeer Win User
    If this is an Active Directory environment then all that is needed is to right click on the folder you wish to share select the Share tab > Advanced Sharing > Permissions. Remove the Everyone group and add the domain users and specify their permissions. The thing to remember when dealing with remote access (sharing) is both share and ntfs (local permissions on a folder) come into play. The rule is the most restrictive permissions always win. So if a user has deny locally to that folder and allow in the share permissions they will be denied access.

Neemobeer, Oct 21, 2016
  12. Yes active directory. The user everyone was removed and a specific user added and also added under permissions. This all worked fine previously but the original computer had a failure and this is being set up on a new
    Computer. The files being shared to everyone work fine and this file will work if shared with everyone, just not if it's shared with specific users no matter who the user is.

barnmother, Oct 21, 2016
  13. Neemobeer Win User

Can you post of pictures of your NTFS settings and share permissions?

Neemobeer, Oct 21, 2016
  14. Since this is a work
    Computer will do on Monday

barnmother, Oct 21, 2016
  15. Ok here are the screenshots requested.

barnmother, Oct 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users - Similar Threads - Folder Specific user

2. Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files: When I click on the User's File icon on my desktop, it opens up, but some of the personal folders are missing. They are present in the quick access menu on the left. They are also present in C:\Users\[user name]\. It's only when I open the User's File icon on the desktop that...
  3. User name is not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User name is not showing in Users folder: I've seen this question asked before but the solution does not work for me. Hopefully Dave M sees itMy user name is EricI'm trying to find my AppData folder in the following path;C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number] Settings\en_US\x64\New...
  4. User name is not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User name is not showing in Users folder: I've seen this question asked before but the solution does not work for me. Hopefully Dave M sees itMy user name is EricI'm trying to find my AppData folder in the following path;C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number] Settings\en_US\x64\New...
  5. main user not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    main user not showing in Users folder: I messed things up and did a re-install of Windows 11 to get folders back to the correct places. Before I had Desktop in several place,s one within the prinmary Desktop folder.After the re-install, under Users I have - Default, Desktop and Public. My main User is Frank which...
  6. main user not showing in Users folder

main user not showing in Users folder: I messed things up and did a re-install of Windows 11 to get folders back to the correct places. Before I had Desktop in several place,s one within the prinmary Desktop folder.After the re-install, under Users I have - Default, Desktop and Public. My main User is Frank which...
  7. User name is not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name is not showing in Users folder: Hi, my name is Manish Kumar recently I reset my pc and made some changes but after this, I realized that my user name "manis" is not showing in the Users folder. > Also, my Appdata folder is showing in the Desktop directory and when I make the hidden tick on the explorer it...
  8. Missing folders not showing up under "User" folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing folders not showing up under "User" folder: First time questions. . Running Win 10 Pro on my desktop computer. Two questions? In "System Information" my system name is DESKTOP and the User Name is DESKTOP\Desktop. I picked the System Named as DESKTOP because I have a laptop and a desktop computer. My laptop shows...
  9. User not showing up on User list.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User not showing up on User list.: Hey, Recently my account got deleted from user list but every time i restart my PC i get the login screen to my account which was deleted from user list. Since i don't know the password, I tried using cmd.exe (admin) to change my password there with another account by doing...
  10. Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users

Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users: Hey guys, I am interested in setting up some company-wide commands to remove a lot of the built-in crap from Windows 10. Employees don't need to be using the Xbox app, and we don't need Get Office, Get Skype etc as we already have those installed using the administrator...