Windows 10: Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive

Discus and support Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows is my C: drive. All my data files are on D: the issue I'm having is with folders inside a folder structure that looks like this, on my DATA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Jun 26, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive

Windows is my C: drive. All my data files are on D: the issue I'm having is with folders inside a folder structure that looks like this, on my DATA drive:

D:\Photo\Catalog\Half-Done catalogs

Suddenly some sub-folders inside this folder structure are read-only. I did the normal right-click Properties, and saw that the read-only box was black. So I clicked on that box to clear it, and Windows applied the new permissions to all sub-folders. It worked, but right away some of the sub-folders reverted to read-only.

So inside the Properties windows, I clicked on the security tab, changed ownership to Administrators, checked the box to apply to sub-folders. That worked, again, until some sub-folders reverted to read-only. A windows reboot didn't clear up the problem.

On the Microsoft web site, they advise doing a clean Windows install to deal with this problem. What a crock! *Kill

I may need to hand-fix the offending folders, but I need a way to locate them. Suggestions gratefully accepted.

:)

2. Kreij Win User

Need a book for Data Structures

Many good suggestions here

Kreij, Jun 26, 2019
  3. buck10 Win User
    Folder structure

Hi

I would like my folder structure to have the list view but show thumbnails for files within those folders.

In the 'folder options' I can only set either picture view or list view. How can I achieve list view AND show thumbs?

I have realised I can set this manunally for each folder, but it's impractical as I have thousands of directories.

Thanks for any help

buck10, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive

1. Folder structure suddenly read-only on DATA drive - Similar Threads - Folder structure suddenly

2. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  3. Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.: Suddenly today 6/28/22 all my folders are read only. I've tried all the suggestions I can find on the internet including:- uninstalling anti-virus software- being logged in as administrator- changing permissions administrator and users- changing the folder attributes- running...
  4. Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.: Suddenly today 6/28/22 all my folders are read only. I've tried all the suggestions I can find on the internet including:- uninstalling anti-virus software- being logged in as administrator- changing permissions administrator and users- changing the folder attributes- running...
  5. Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  7. Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only

Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only: So I am trying to install auto desk inverter and for a long time it was given me a 1909 installation code. Apparently the fix for that was just making the folder C:\ProgramData\Autodesk not be READ ONLY. So went to the folder right clicked>Properties> and unclicked the read...
  8. Is the folder "Program Data" which is read-only safe to take off 'read-only'?

Is the folder "Program Data" which is read-only safe to take off 'read-only'?: I recently bought an application which came with a lot of bonus or extra material. I specifically bought this version of the application directly from their website in order to use the bonus or extra material. Problem is, the application does not read the files. I was able to...
  9. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  10. Read only folders on all disc drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read only folders on all disc drives: Hello, past few days I am experiencing very bad situation with computer. I read many posts but I still do not get things working as they should so I am hoping that I will get some answers here. I am guessing that with latest update windows decided that my folders are...