Windows 10: Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored

Discus and support Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10 x64 20H2 10.0.19042.867. In Windows Explorer, if you open the folder properties, there's the "Optimization" option on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Armin Zingler, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored

Hi,

Windows 10 x64 20H2 10.0.19042.867.

In Windows Explorer, if you open the folder properties, there's the "Optimization" option on the "Customize" tab. For a certain folder, there is "General Items" selected . I switch to "Videos" and click OK. The problem is that the setting does not seem to be stored. If I open the dialog again, "General Items" is still selected.

Using procmon, I was able to find out which registry key stores the settings of a certain folder:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1525\Shell

There are the values FolderType=Videos and SniffedFolderType=Generic. So, obviously the folder type is ignored when opening the dialog. What can cause this?

Another attempt was changing the folder type of the parent folder to "Videos", checking the "apply setting to sub folders" box. This didn't help, too. Still "General Items" is selected.

This is a user specific setting. I've tried it with a different user account. No problem with that one. However, a desktop.ini file is created including the line "FolderType=Videos".

So, final attempt: As I don't need the old folder view settings, I'd like to reset them, hoping it solves the problem. My question is how to do this safely?

There are the reg keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagsMRU

Can I safely delete these two completely?

Thanks.

:)

Armin Zingler, Mar 12, 2021
  2. mrgeek Win User

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Mar 12, 2021
  3. Setting folder view

Hi. I have folders on my E drive which I like to see in List view. Some of those folders contain sub-folders which I also like to see in List view. When it comes to the actual files, I'd like them shown as Large Icons.

Is such a setup possible? Thank you. (version 1903)

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've solved it. Set top-level folder to Large Icons then go to View/Options/Change... and click Apply to Folders. Then just change the top-level folder back to Details by right-clicking an empty space.

Taking this a step further, is it possible to have different file views in different folders i.e. all the files in Folder A are shown one way while the files in Folder B are shown another?

- - - Updated - -

dortmunder, Mar 12, 2021
  4. Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored

How do I change the folder optimization settings?

@dalchina, I looked briefly for forum rules but didn't see them either in Customizations or the parent forum - I must have missed it. @swarfega, that's entirely different from what I'm trying to do.

In Windows 10, the folder view (such as "Large Icons", "Small Icons", "Tiles", "List", "Details", etc.) defaults on "Details," because the library is optimized for Music.
    This optimization can be found by right-clicking on the library, selecting "Properties," and from the drop-down menu underneath "Optimize this library for:" you can select an optimization option. However, these options are redundant and useless. Three of them use the exact SAME view (General Items, Documents and Music use the "Details" view), and the other are for icons.

But that means that these "optimizations" must be found somewhere in the OS, either in the registry or in a file in the core Windows folder, which means that it can be modified.

My goal here is to modify the "Music" optimization preset to show the "List" view, rather than the default "Details" view.

And before any simple suggestion is made... "Apply to folders" does not work for libraries in Windows 10.
    This is no easy fix. I'm looking for a way to mod the actual OS as necessary, to permanently alter the preset in question.

cybervegeto22, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored

1. Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored - Similar Threads - Folder view optimization

2. How to optimize view of folders on Android phone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to optimize view of folders on Android phone?: Problem summary: Can't optimize view of folders on Android phone. Ultimate objective is in Windows Explorer to be able to see "Date", "Date created", "Date modified", and "Date taken".StepsConnect Android10 phone to Win10 laptop via USBOn Win10 laptop, open Windows...
  3. How to optimize view of folders on Android phone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to optimize view of folders on Android phone?: Problem summary: Can't optimize view of folders on Android phone. Ultimate objective is in Windows Explorer to be able to see "Date", "Date created", "Date modified", and "Date taken".StepsConnect Android10 phone to Win10 laptop via USBOn Win10 laptop, open Windows...
  4. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  5. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  6. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. power settings ignored

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power settings ignored: Windows 10 is ignoring power settings and locks screen after 1 minute, troubleshooting power settings did not help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-settings-ignored/3933bc6a-c203-4728-bffa-3b8b57dbc455
  8. Folders View Settings Are Not Saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders View Settings Are Not Saving: Recently I've noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to unhide protected operating system files. I unticked the corresponding check box and I received the warning, but when I pressed the OK button, nothing happened. When I opened the view settings again the check box was...
  9. Setting folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting folder view: Hi. I have folders on my E drive which I like to see in List view. Some of those folders contain sub-folders which I also like to see in List view. When it comes to the actual files, I'd like them shown as Large Icons. Is such a setup possible? Thank you. (version 1903) 159581
  10. Issue with Folder View Setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with Folder View Setting: Hello All, I have set the Folder View settings for my Win10 many times. But every time I restart the machine the settings were lost. Looks so strange. Please share your ideas to resolve. Thanks, Kannan...