Windows 10: Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it

Discus and support Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The visibility of my folders depends on how I navigate to them, meaning that I am often looking for files that I know that I have saved but then find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by johnquinton, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it

The visibility of my folders depends on how I navigate to them, meaning that I am often looking for files that I know that I have saved but then find them later when I navige to the folder through another route.

The example below shows two views of the same folder (aquacrop). The view on the left was navigated to via a shortcut in the side bar to a folder lower down the folder structure (Research current) while the view on the righ was navigated to from the Local disc C: via users.

Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it ddeec14e-602e-4ac3-aacc-048381651d38?upload=true.jpg

Does any one have any idea why Windows is doing this and how to fix it?

I have tried using a third party file explorer (Total Commander) but still get the same problem.

:)

johnquinton, Aug 19, 2019

2. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Aug 19, 2019
  3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Hello Brink and thank you. This website is a very helpful resource. Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it :)

Your suggested answer will hide the User Profile folder in the Navigation Pane.

Instead, this scenario involves not hiding the User Profile folder but hiding specific Personal Folders in the Navigation Pane that are marked "Hidden" in the Files/Folders Listing Area.

My suspicion is that there are more "PinToNamespace" registry entries for me to toggle the DWORD value.

TechGuy737, Aug 19, 2019
  4. Ragnvaldr Win User

Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it

Is it possible to remove folders from Windows explorer navigation pane?

-EDIT- I missed half of step 1. This should work now.

Yes you can, but it is not as easy as bigfr0g thinks. Follow these steps for each entry you wish to hide.

1. Press Win+R and type "regedit" to enter the Registry Editor.
    2. Then paste: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{THIS CHANGES DEPENDING ON FOLDER}\PropertyBag into the navigation bar.
    3. You will arrive at a folder with several files. If you see a file called "ThisPCPolicy" Skip to step #6.
    4. If there is no file, right-click the blank area of the folder. Hover over "New" and hit "String Value".
    5. Name the string "ThisPCPolicy" and set it to a value of "Hide" Now skip to Step #7.
    6. Open the file and set it to a value of "Hide"
    7. Exit out of Registry Editor and make sure File Explorer is not open.
    8. Open File Explorer and it should be gone. If it's not, try closing and opening File Explorer one more time.

In place of "THIS CHANGES DEPENDING ON FOLDER" add the corresponding IDs, whichever you want to hide.

Documents Folder: f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756

Pictures Folder: 0ddd015d-b06c-45d5-8c4c-f59713854639

Videos Folder: 35286a68-3c57-41a1-bbb1-0eae73d76c95

Downloads Folder: 7d83ee9b-2244-4e70-b1f5-5393042af1e4

Music Folder: a0c69a99-21c8-4671-8703-7934162fcf1d

Desktop Folder: B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641

Hope this helps. If you ever want them back, follow the same instructions, except set the value to "Show".

Ragnvaldr, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it

1. Folder visibility depends on how I navigate to it - Similar Threads - Folder visibility depends

2. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover: In Windows 10. I keep copying files into the wrong folders due to the system expanding a folder at the instant I release a file copy into a folder in the navigation pane. This is NOT the 'Expand to current fodler' problem. This is when I have grabbed a file to move or copy it...
  3. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover: In Windows 10. I keep copying files into the wrong folders due to the system expanding a folder at the instant I release a file copy into a folder in the navigation pane. This is NOT the 'Expand to current fodler' problem. This is when I have grabbed a file to move or copy it...
  4. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Computer not visible in network folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not visible in network folder: I have 4 computers running Win10 21H2 on my home LAN. I have network file sharing enabled on each computer.All the computers can see each other's network shares, except for one machine that's doesn't show in the "Network" icon from anywhere, not even from itself when locally...
  6. Folder is not visible or accessible

Folder is not visible or accessible: There's a folder called Recovery in my D: drive and I can't access or see it, even when I choose to show hidden folders. The reason I know it exists is because I get an error message from Google Drive saying D:\Recovery can't be synced. [ATTACH] When I try accessing the...
  7. Hidden folders no longer visible

Hidden folders no longer visible: After the latest windows update, hidden folders like appdata in file explorer are no longer visible. Not only that, but they can't be set to visible either. Usually this is done through the View-tab, and then checking the "Hidden objects" checkbox, or by going to...
  8. Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible

Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible: Running Windows 10 Pro, 2004 on the host machine I have a problem with shared files not showing on any remote devices. Shared folders and subfolders are visible, but the files within the folders cannot be seen on other Win 10 machines, with Android and other devices...
  9. All files/folders not visible

All files/folders not visible: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Pro with latest update. I am using an external drive of 2TB with three partitions there. One partition has one folder where I keep all my DSLR photos. I have approx 20,630 files and few folders inside but when going inside this folder, it shows me...
  10. Navigation pane not fully visible in Mail App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Navigation pane not fully visible in Mail App: I have 2 devices, a laptop and a Surface tablet. Both have the same Mail App. On the laptop the navigation pane is always fully visible and can be changed with hamburger menu on the upper left side. On the Surface, the navigation panel show only icons and is compressed on the...