Windows 10: folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them.

Discus and support folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was copying some music from Linux to a external NTFS drive to transfer it to Windows but when trying to copy the files/folders, windows blocks me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Harry_001, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Harry_001 Win User

folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them.

I was copying some music from Linux to a external NTFS drive to transfer it to Windows but when trying to copy the files/folders, windows blocks me copying the files with '?' and folders with ':'.

I got this error when trying to copy a file with '?':

The file name you specified is not valid or too long.

Specify a diffrent file name.

And when trying to access a folder with ':' in:

[folder path] is unavalible, If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or this disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or the internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

QUESTON:

So the question is how can I copy these files without having to logout and boot into Linux. Is there any way, I'm fine with comandline (thats basicly a requirement with Linux), I can't run virtual machines on this computer (I need a newer BIOS update to allow this and haven't gotten around to doing that), and I am happy to use 3rd party software?

Screenshot:

screenshot - postimage.org

folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them. 6e693d71-0cf3-47d8-a8ab-f90383a2694e?upload=true.png

:)

Harry_001, Feb 19, 2019
  2. Patrick8 Win User

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Hi Ramsey,

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot copy file because file name too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick8, Feb 19, 2019
  3. ax_Cap Win User

Solved!!!!!

Use 7zip.

open the 7zip file manager, go to the folder of the long name file, select the file, right click on it and select "rename".
    erase some of the words of the file and press enter.

regards!!!!!

ax_Cap, Feb 19, 2019
  4. yesme Win User

folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them.

Thanks a lot Mate, it works!!!!!

yesme, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

1. folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them. - Similar Threads - folder wont open

2. exe files wont open browsers wont open regedit wont open cmd wont open Microsoft edge will open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exe files wont open browsers wont open regedit wont open cmd wont open Microsoft edge will open: exe files won't open browsers won't open regedit won't open cmd wont open Microsoft edge will open and no safeboot all exe files turned white keeps asking how do you want to open this file...
  3. exe files wont open browsers wont open regedit wont open cmd wont open Microsoft edge will open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe files wont open browsers wont open regedit wont open cmd wont open Microsoft edge will open: exe files won't open browsers won't open regedit won't open cmd wont open Microsoft edge will open and no safeboot all exe files turned white keeps asking how do you want to open this file...
  4. Folder wont open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder wont open: Please help peps i got in trouble. When i open the folder the window redirect me to quick access and wont redirect me to the particular folder and same goes with control panel please hlep hoping for effective response...
  5. Folder wont open

Folder wont open: Please help peps i got in trouble. When i open the folder the window redirect me to quick access and wont redirect me to the particular folder and same goes with control panel please hlep hoping for effective response...
  6. Cannot rename a folder because Windows says a file in it is open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot rename a folder because Windows says a file in it is open: This has been a really, really dumb problem for decades. So it always amazes me when the people who contribute to this forum act as if they have never seen it .Windows uses an obsolete process called Thumbnail caching. It theory, it used to speed up searches back in the early...
  7. Cannot rename a folder because Windows says a file in it is open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot rename a folder because Windows says a file in it is open: This has been a really, really dumb problem for decades. So it always amazes me when the people who contribute to this forum act as if they have never seen it .Windows uses an obsolete process called Thumbnail caching. It theory, it used to speed up searches back in the early...
  8. Cannot rename a folder because Windows says a file in it is open

9. How to copy files with reserved names?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy files with reserved names?: I use an encryption & password protection program with an export function that creates file names containing "CON.". No problem if I just want to export and import the files, but I cannot copy the exported files. An attempt results in an invalid handle error. I assume that is...
  10. accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup

in Windows 10 Support
    accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup: hello everyone, i ran a command that was suppose to rename every file extension in a folder to the jpg file, but forgot that the default folder was system32 in cmd. I even ran CMD as admin, so it renamed quite a few. After restarting my computer obviously failed to start up....