Windows 10: Folders and Files Disappeared

Discus and support Folders and Files Disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a couple of folders containing files I have not looked at in over a year. When I went to look at them, I cannot find them ?? Does Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by w1ksz, Nov 17, 2015.

1. w1ksz Win User

Folders and Files Disappeared

I have a couple of folders containing files I have not looked at in over a year.
    When I went to look at them, I cannot find them ??

Does Windows 10 automatically archive older unused files or folders ??

Thanks,

rs

:)

w1ksz, Nov 17, 2015

2. URGENT!! BUG!! Files and folders disappeared!!

Hi, so I have a SSD that is being used for laptop which can be conveniently removed.

I use this drive as main OS for the laptop and portable external storage on work and home computer.

I have made a moved a large amount of media from home computer to laptop drive to watch on-the-go.

Desktop OS is Windows 7 and laptop OS is Windows 10

Problem is:

I made a folder on SSD named EXTstorage at C:/ and plugged it to home PC and move one zip file for all the subtitles and 'one folder with all the medias' (I'll call it MEDIAS folder) in EXTstorage. However, when I plugged this drive back into laptop and
    booted up, EXTstorage and all the subtitles.zip was there but MEDIAS folder was gone.

Checks I done is:

I checked if the MEDIAS folder was frankly hidden for some reason but that was not the case.

I also checked if the data was not moved at all but frankly under property of C: drive, space of MEDIAS appears to be occupied.

But on the EXTstorage folder will only show data being used up with the subtitles.zip

Tried to plug SSD back to desktop and see if folder appears on desktop PC but still does not appear.

I moved them both at once by drag and drop so they cannot be in other folder either. (I checked just in case too)

Since data was moved instead of copying it cannot be relocated from home PC either.

Help me fix this

classified-credential, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Arul_D Win User
    URGENT!! BUG!! Files and folders disappeared!!

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

This issue might have occurred where the files and folder have not copied properly.
    I would suggest you to try with a different PC and check if you are able to view the files and folders.

Reply us back with the status of this issue. We will be lad to assist you.

Arul_D, Nov 17, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

No, it doesn't. Do you know the names of the folders? If so you could try installing Everything Search and see if it finds them.
    Install it, let it start and build it's index, takes a few seconds to maybe half a minute. Then type the folder name in the search box and it will show you every file and folder that has that name in it.

Ztruker, Nov 18, 2015
  5. Molyy Win User
    On which drive did you save the files? Have you clean installed Windows 10? Files/folders are sometimes deleted by accident. Since it has been so long, the data might have been overwritten.

Molyy, Nov 18, 2015
  6. w1ksz Win User
    First; It was an update from Windows 7.
    Second; I had a similar instance with a very large folder (~1,400 files), that re-appeared when I restored a back-up from another
    computer (hence my thoughts of an automatic archive).
    Third; The files were saved on my "C" Drive, but other programs were not affected.
    Fourth; I see my original post was moved from the site I first published it on. No wonder I couldn't find it until I got a response
    and saw where it went. Another MS feature ??

rs

w1ksz, Nov 18, 2015
  7. w1ksz Win User
    I went to install EverythingSearch, but it said something about Port Access ??? Being very paranoid about anything to do with access to my computer, I stopped the install. Why does it want access ??

rs

w1ksz, Nov 18, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

I think they are needed if you want to start the FTP or HTTP servers. I don't use them, I use just the search capability.

Try it, I think you will like it. I consider it one program I will not go without, from XP all the way to Win 10 TH2. I use it a lot.

Ztruker, Nov 19, 2015
  9. w1ksz Win User
    I found something while searching. The Program Files are still there, but the Data Files that were in the Documents Folder are gone. As if the Document Folder was wiped clean as a result of the Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7.

The Documents Folder is totally empty.

rs

w1ksz, Nov 19, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    Do you still have windows.old folder on C: ?

CountMike, Nov 19, 2015
  11. w1ksz Win User
    NO, only a Windows Folder. Nothing in it looks like it would hold "Old" files.

rs

w1ksz, Nov 19, 2015
  12. YOU
    You Win User
  13. YOU
    You Win User

Unless they were securely deleted, deleted files are still restorable if only a little amount of data was written to the hard drive (saving files, watching videos, etc.) after they were deleted. When (or Windows or whatever in this case) delete files, they really just become invisible and are restorable - until r hard drive needs to make space for a new file in which case the invisible file is overwritten/replaced.

14. YOU
    You Win User
    Unfortunately, if Windows deleted the files before performing the upgrade, the vast number of file operations that took place during the upgrade probably caused it to be overwritten, but it's still worth a shot!

Thema:

1. Folders and Files Disappeared - Similar Threads - Folders Files Disappeared

2. Desktop files and folders disappeared?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop files and folders disappeared?: today i opened my laptop that has windows 11 and all files from desktop were disappeared, and also a update happened just before that and ive tried every guide to recover but i couldnt, does anyone know how can i get my files back?...
  3. Desktop files and folders disappeared?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop files and folders disappeared?: today i opened my laptop that has windows 11 and all files from desktop were disappeared, and also a update happened just before that and ive tried every guide to recover but i couldnt, does anyone know how can i get my files back?...
  4. Disappearing folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disappearing folders: I have just noticed that all my folders from the D Drive have disappeared - Windows 10. I've done a search on the D and C drives to no avail. I've looked at the Hidden Folders tick option but this hasn't made any difference. Can anyone help, please. I need any responses to be...
  5. My files in download folder disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My files in download folder disappeared: I was today downloading a game of the net i was really careful about i had scanned it 10 times with 2 antiviruses and I did everything it was not a virus then later i was scared so just to be sure if its not suspicious i was looking at my folders. All folders were great but...
  6. File Folder disappeared from ... everywhere.

File Folder disappeared from ... everywhere.: An important folder has disappeared from my laptop. It is not in the Recycle Bin. I changed search settings to show hidden files with no luck. It is just gone.The folder was open in Windows 10 when it disappeared. I noticed it was gone in the location it should have been,...
  7. Files and folders keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files and folders keep disappearing: At online school, we have a lot to keep track of, and a lot of materials, I keep them in one folder then back them up through pCloud. Then after a while there is nothing there. Several folders get deleted or missing and in a few weeks, the entire folder, gone. Is this a known...
  8. Files & Folder disappeared in Windows 10

Files & Folder disappeared in Windows 10: I installed SSD in my Laptop as 2nd drive. On the 1st HDD drive I already have Win 7 running. I installed Win 10 on SSD. I was booting either from HDD/SDD by changing the boot priority in BIOS. Later i wanted to install Lotus notes 9 on my Win 10 SSD & to have the same...
  9. Folder disappeared

Folder disappeared: A folder I was working on suddenly disappeared. Please help how I would prevent this from happening, and how I recover it. Before it's asked, as I have seen many Microsoft personnel ask in response to this exact question, the file is not hidden. It has disappeared. I cannot...
  10. Files in Download folder are disappeared

Files in Download folder are disappeared: I was still working with some files in the download folder on yesterday (06/01) but today after turn on my computer, all files in the download folder are gone. Is there anyway to fix this. My latest windows update is "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809" on 1/1/2019...