Windows 10: Folders and Files have Blue Pointing Arrows

Discus and support Folders and Files have Blue Pointing Arrows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong forum thread. On my secondary hard drive I get these arrows on EVERY single file and folder, there's only one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by malim, Oct 20, 2015.

1. malim Win User

Folders and Files have Blue Pointing Arrows

Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong forum thread.
    On my secondary hard drive I get these arrows on EVERY single file and folder, there's only one folder on the root of the hard drive that doesn't have it, but a few files in it have it, but those are in folders that also have it. At first I thought it might be because Compressed settings are switched on because that's the only difference between the system disk and his one.

Folders and Files have Blue Pointing Arrows [​IMG]

:)

malim, Oct 20, 2015
  2. Vinarino Win User

Blue Arrows on folder and file icons

Double Blue Arrows that point at each other = Compression:

Originally, this feature was fantastic.

Previously, compression was indicated simply and optionally by turning the file/folder name blue.

Vinarino, Oct 20, 2015
  3. Two blue arrows on some shortcuts

After a few months of head scratching I've tracked down why the blue arrows have appeared on some shortcuts and not others but have been unable to stop them from showing at the moment.

When an installer uses Advertised Shortcuts a folder is created in C:\Windows\Installer\{GUID}.

In this folder are InstallShield exes for each shortcut for example one for desktop, another of start menu.

The Installer folder is compressed and thus the {GUID} folder is compressed and thus the exes are compressed. The Advertised Shortcuts point to the icon of the exe which has the blue-arrows.

I've tried turning off compression on the {GUID} folder and contents but the files still seems to have the blue-arrows even tho compression has been turned off on the those file.

I'm going to edit the registry to change the shortcut icon path to the program file exe and see if that works.

Roberto (aka Tim), Oct 20, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

5. malim Win User
    Thanks! But is there any other way to keep Compression on but get rid of the arrows? I realise the compression is almost useless but it takes too long undo it.

malim, Oct 20, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Why too long? Crank it up and go to bed. It will be doen by the time you get up.

Ztruker, Oct 21, 2015
  7. malim Win User
    I was hoping to get rid of the overlays without removing the disk compression properties. Thanks for your help, I'll be sure to delete the registry entry

malim, Oct 21, 2015
  8. shimshom Win User

shimshom, Oct 21, 2015
  9. malim Win User
    If there was one thing I was hoping to avoid, it's editing the imageres.dll. I see it in the .dll but I can't find it in Resource Hacker. I guess those annoying arrows aren't looking as bad as before. *Biggrin

malim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folders and Files have Blue Pointing Arrows - Similar Threads - Folders Files Blue

2. Arrow, and Mice and other Pointing Devices have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Arrow, and Mice and other Pointing Devices have Disappeared: Hi there,I was working on my laptop when suddenly the arrow on my screen disappeared. I tried restarting and shutting down my laptop which brought back the arrow. However, after a few minutes, it disappeared again. I tried the same method again but it didn't work. I tried...
  3. Arrow, and Mice and other Pointing Devices have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Arrow, and Mice and other Pointing Devices have Disappeared: Hi there,I was working on my laptop when suddenly the arrow on my screen disappeared. I tried restarting and shutting down my laptop which brought back the arrow. However, after a few minutes, it disappeared again. I tried the same method again but it didn't work. I tried...
  4. Arrow, and Mice and other Pointing Devices have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Blue Arrows on Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Arrows on Files: I would like to ask what are these blue arrows? what does it mean and why do i have them on every different type of files i have? it's very annoying.. is there a way to remove it?...
  6. Blue Arrows on Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Arrows on Files: I would like to ask what are these blue arrows? what does it mean and why do i have them on every different type of files i have? it's very annoying.. is there a way to remove it?...
  7. Compressed folder (two blue arrows)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressed folder (two blue arrows): Every time I create a new folder, it shows the two blue arrows. I know how to get rid of it after creating a new folder, but it never did this before. Is there a way to change the settings so that when I create the new folder, it doesn't have those two blue arrows? Thank...
  8. Power issues and funny blue arrows on my files and folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Power issues and funny blue arrows on my files and folders: I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 Pro. After I shut down for the evening (at a full charge) when I come back after a day or two the battery is fully drained. I have checked my power settings and they seem fine. Since this has been happening I notice little blue...
  9. All my file icons now have blue arrows

All my file icons now have blue arrows: All of my file icons in file manager show blue arrows in bottom left corner but when I check the file properties the compress box is not ticked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-file-icons-now-have-blue-arrows/1fb11e78-b0d4-4f88-a9c2-b616d8bd2f91"
  10. Blue Arrows On All Files and Folders

Blue Arrows On All Files and Folders: Hi, I just booted into Windows and there are two blue arrows on all my files and folders for some strange reason. I've looked it up on the internet and apparently it means that they're compressed. I didn't do it and definetively don't want that. Windows basically compressed...