Windows 10: folders appear empty even though data is still on drives

Discus and support folders appear empty even though data is still on drives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; my mother who is running Windows 10 has not turned her computer on and quite some time. However this morning when she turned her PC on any folder she... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by danni1of2, Apr 11, 2017.

1. danni1of2 Win User

folders appear empty even though data is still on drives

my mother who is running Windows 10 has not turned her computer on and quite some time. However this morning when she turned her PC on any folder she clicked on appears to be empty however the drive indicators in the "this computer" window show that there is data on the drive

Does anybody know how to scan her hard drives and recover her data?

Also does anybody know what might have caused this?
    While I still dont know why it happen...
    I had mother run chkdsk in Elevated CMD prompt afterward the folder content showed again

:)

danni1of2, Apr 11, 2017
  2. Mark Pare Win User

Windows 10 files disappeared on network drives

I have had Windows 10 for some time now. After a recent automatic upgrade, two of my network drives have their files not visible.

J: -> 2TB drive with 473GB free, but no files show up saying "This folder is empty"

K: -> 3TB drive with 16.4GB free space, but no files show up saying "This folder is empty"

I'm sure that the files are still physically on the drive as it is clear that there is space being taken up. I wanted to use attrib -h on the directory, but most of the files are in a folder called Apple TV and even though the folders still remain, I am
    not able to cd into them.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark Pare, Apr 11, 2017
  3. JamesJoey Win User
    Empty Drives Displaying Despite Checking "Hide empty drives"

Even though I have "Hide empty drives" checked (as I have always) empty drives still show in explorer's right pane.

It was fine until the last update.

No, I haven't made any changes to my system lately.

James

JamesJoey, Apr 11, 2017
Thema:

folders appear empty even though data is still on drives

1. folders appear empty even though data is still on drives - Similar Threads - folders appear empty

2. Still saving to OneDrive even though it's unlinked?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Still saving to OneDrive even though it's unlinked?: Hi!I'm having issues with OneDrive...I really don't like it, and I've already unlinked my PC. The issue I have is that it's still showing up as a place to save. I've already done the "File", "Options", "Save", and "Turn off AutoSave" options, but it's still coming up as a...
  3. Still saving to OneDrive even though it's unlinked?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Still saving to OneDrive even though it's unlinked?: Hi!I'm having issues with OneDrive...I really don't like it, and I've already unlinked my PC. The issue I have is that it's still showing up as a place to save. I've already done the "File", "Options", "Save", and "Turn off AutoSave" options, but it's still coming up as a...
  4. Why does this PC tell this folder is empty, even though it has files in it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does this PC tell this folder is empty, even though it has files in it?: Hi everyone, I use Windows 8.1, and I get an error “This folder is empty” even though it has files in it???For your further information, The screenshot has been attached. Can anyone help me with the solution??Yes, I tried sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image...
  5. Why does this PC tell this folder is empty, even though it has files in it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does this PC tell this folder is empty, even though it has files in it?: Hi everyone, I use Windows 8.1, and I get an error “This folder is empty” even though it has files in it???For your further information, The screenshot has been attached. Can anyone help me with the solution??Yes, I tried sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image...
  6. Drive still appears on File Explorer even after ejecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive still appears on File Explorer even after ejecting: See this screenshot, I've ejected my PenDrive but still it is appearing there. It didn't used to happen like this before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-still-appears-on-file-explorer-even-after/4834fc88-5c0f-4afc-8b19-7393f247651c
  7. One Drive - empty folders

One Drive - empty folders: Background: I have been having issued with my outlook. So IT department says "they have to do a 1909 update and if that doesn't fix it then they will do a reimage." So first, they wanted me to copy all my docs from my computer to OneDrive. Worked great. for about 2 weeks...
  8. File not appearing even though it says it saved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File not appearing even though it says it saved: for school i had to make an essay on word and i saved it as a .docx file, its said it saved multiple times but its not showing up, any idea what's going on? submitted by /u/Chadly1234 [link] [comments]...
  9. One Drive lacks Delete option for empty folder still appearing in Shared section

One Drive lacks Delete option for empty folder still appearing in Shared section: In One Drive, I was able to delete an empty shared folder from My Files, but that same folder still appears in the Shared area, and there is no Delete option along the top. FYI, I am trying to make One Drive empty for now. I cannot understand what makes the Delete button...
  10. Programs are still appearing in Apps & Features tab even though they have been deleted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs are still appearing in Apps & Features tab even though they have been deleted: When I try to remove a program from my computer using the app & features tab in settings, I get a pop up saying [Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\(my user)\Desktop\New folder\steam.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. This user has such been delete...