Windows 10: Folders are saying Read-Only but no files inside are marked Read-Only, have tried...

Discus and support Folders are saying Read-Only but no files inside are marked Read-Only, have tried... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Look, I've tried everything I can. From several different forums that have the exact same problems as me to as many websites and links as I can count... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SolarSquish, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Folders are saying Read-Only but no files inside are marked Read-Only, have tried...

Look, I've tried everything I can. From several different forums that have the exact same problems as me to as many websites and links as I can count on my fingers. But nothing has solved this issue. I have the most recent version of Windows installed on my computer and one day as I was trying to play a game on my computer and all of a sudden none of my towns would load Sims 3 but that's not important to this issue. I went to Google for answers and it said it could be one of two problems. One problem being that the files were Read-Only. I went through other game files and just regular files like .mdp's from my FireAlpaca art program also unrelated and .jpg's I've transferred from my phone.. just simple pictures. Every file POSSIBLE on my laptop is now marked with a fully black Read-Only box. I don't know what in the world happened. I have tried listening to Windows' advice from MULTIPLE forums. Some solutions being; opening the command prompt as admin, typing in attrib -r c:\folder\*.* /s which means something special to the computer attrib is the command, -r is the flag for removing read-only attributes, c:\folder\*.* is the folder you are running it on plus wildcards for all files, and /s is the flag for doing all sub directories and files AND ALSO typing in ATTR DISK CLEAR READONLY which is another special command the computer reads and I was left with my computer telling me it didn't recognize the c:\folder\ which is literally my internal hard drive where the issue is happening or telling me it didn't recognize ATTR. THEN I went on to giving my user FULL ACCESS using advanced permissions on my internal hard drive and when I applied all the permissions to the user it stopped on every folder that I realized the Read-Only attribute was on and just didn't apply it saying I "didn't have access" when I was literally trying to give myself access then and there. This has gotten to the point where I'm considering hiring professional help but I just don't have the money for that right now so all my computer is good for now is using Chrome and drawing. I can't play any of my games and I have tried literally everything I believe possible. Oh, and one last thing. After all this research I've found out that a fully blacked out Read-Only box means files WITHIN the folder are marked Read-Only and not the folder itself while check marks are opposite. But to my dismay I looked through all my FireAlpaca files to check if it was the files or folders... and literally not a single file had Read-Only. It was just my folders... so why would it have an all blacked out box??? I'm sorry for this long explanation but this is getting out of hand and there HAS to be a way to fix this problem that me and so many others are experiencing. Please, if anyone can, HELP!

:)

SolarSquish, Jan 18, 2020

2. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Laura3745 Win User
    Read-only files

I'm trying to install programs on my brand new computer with Windows 10 but seem to be having the same problem as several other people in being unable to change folders from read-only.

My account is an administrator account, and I changed it so I am the owner of the folder (I have also tried with Users and Everyone as owners). I also changed the settings to these administrators have full control under Basic permissions. I have also tried
    the steps listed in these two other threads:

Cannot change files/folders from "read only'

Document folders marked read only after upgrade to Windows 10.

Along the way I have got messages saying "failed to enumerate objects in the container" or one that says "access denied" or one that says a particular subfolder cannot be changed because it is in use (even if all the other dialog boxes are closed).

Every time I change the folder from read-only it reverts back as soon as I close the properties box. Is there something else I can try?

Laura3745, Jan 18, 2020
  4. Folders are saying Read-Only but no files inside are marked Read-Only, have tried...

Windows keeps marking files and folders as read only

I have windows 10 home, All the files and folders are listed as read only even folders I have just created. I have administrator status.

Hammy'sDad, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Folders are saying Read-Only but no files inside are marked Read-Only, have tried...

1. Folders are saying Read-Only but no files inside are marked Read-Only, have tried... - Similar Threads - Folders are saying

2. Read/Write Folder inside Read only folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read/Write Folder inside Read only folder: Look, I'm trying to make Remote Storage by sharing a folder in this case is "networkDrive", the root. Hosted by mapping network drive.Inside the folder, there are 2 folders:viewed using the mapped network driveThe "networkDrive" folder is supposed to be read only - meaning...
  3. read only folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    read only folders: I noticed all my folders are now read only. I went to Google and it seems many people have the same issue and are blaming the update on this. I am assuming an update caused this. Can you tell me about this and if MS plans to patch or fix this? [Windows 20H2 19042.867,...
  4. All folders are marked read only.

All folders are marked read only.: I'm having issues where my version of Windows 10 is making all of my folders read-only and causing major access denied errors happen with some programs that need read and write access. [ATTACH] Its not a problem with the program its windows and as I'm running on Windows...
  5. Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?: win 10 Home v 10.0.18362 Tia; If this is not the right forum , Please aim me at the proper one . Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ? I don't know how this happened , but it started yesterday . I am trying to backup Folders to flash drive , but the Read-only get...
  6. Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?: win 10 Home v 10.0.18362 Tia; If this is not the right forum , Please aim me at the proper one . Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ? I don't know how this happened , but it started yesterday . I am trying to backup Folders to flash drive , but the Read-only get...
  7. read only + only applies for files in the folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    read only + only applies for files in the folder: Dears I am not able to remove the permission of read only from any folder from any folder on my windows 10 PC. i tried attrib command also but did not work is this a bug with the latest updates [ATTACH]...
  8. read only folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    read only folders: Hi, Community, I have never done this before as there used to be a phone number that would give me access to an agent who would help. Cut backs, perhaps? Oh well. So, my question is: How do I get rid of the "read only" restrictions on photo folders, please? I have tried...
  9. Regarding Folders Marked "Read Only"

Regarding Folders Marked "Read Only": This is just a slight issue in which folders marked as "Read Only" are locked with this attribute and cannot be changed. I first tried the standard approach, going into the folder properties and disabling read only and then clicking apply and exiting the properties which I...
  10. Drives Marked Read Only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drives Marked Read Only: I have several hard drives on my PCs; some are physical, some are partitions. In every PC I've upgraded, W10 marks these as RO. I go through the ritual of setting permissions to Full and marking RW, but occasionally a drive will revert to RO. I can't find a Take Ownership...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folders are marked read only but files inside are not