Windows 10: Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$

Discus and support Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$ in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have recently checked my C and D drive and found that there have been few folders appearing on them starting with "$". I have tried to delete them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bilal_3715, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$

I have recently checked my C and D drive and found that there have been few folders appearing on them starting with "$". I have tried to delete them but can't and due to these I have almost lost all my C drive space 2.65gb free of 110gb even though I have mainly got windows plus couple of games on it which might not even exceed 10gb so don't know how I have lost all the space.

I have started to have the same issue on my D drive now with the folders appearing.

I have updated the windows and the windows defender before I ran a full system scan but still nothing happened.

I do not know how these folders appeared or how to delete them and get free space back.

I have attached screenshots of my drives so you can get a better understanding of what I mean.

Thank you. Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$ 8ccea1c2-05f0-40f8-8178-7389b03f729c?upload=true.png Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$ 425467e1-4e47-45f3-8b62-1f825c18ae97?upload=true.png

:)

Bilal_3715, Jan 21, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jan 21, 2021
  3. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 21, 2021
  4. Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$

Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$

1. Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$ - Similar Threads - Folders Being Created

2. System Files being created on an alternate drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Files being created on an alternate drive?: Hello,Every time I try to format this hard drive, these files see picture keep reappearing no matter what I do.The Xbox Games folder can be deleted, but the Program Files and WindowsApps folder can NOT be deleted.I've tried formatting. Erasing the disk and making a new volume...
  3. System Files being created on an alternate drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Files being created on an alternate drive?: Hello,Every time I try to format this hard drive, these files see picture keep reappearing no matter what I do.The Xbox Games folder can be deleted, but the Program Files and WindowsApps folder can NOT be deleted.I've tried formatting. Erasing the disk and making a new volume...
  4. C Drive Creating Download Folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C Drive Creating Download Folder?: So I changed my default storage from C drive to my own external hard drive for everything. When I download an image it automatically pops up in the hard drive, but when I download a video or anything that i cant "save as", say a video from Google drive for example, it...
  5. Folders being created seemingly randomly on my secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders being created seemingly randomly on my secondary drive: Hey As of a few weeks ago folders have been created on my secondary drive and I have no idea why, I have tried looking around for a solution but haven't been able to find anything that could hint as to why I am having this issue. [img] The folders consist either of no...
  6. Unidentifiable And Persistent Folders Being Created In Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unidentifiable And Persistent Folders Being Created In Documents: Hi there. First post on the community! This has been bugging me for some time, but hasn't been a critical issue, it just causes organisation problems. So I have a desktop which runs an SSD as the main drive, and a hard drive for mass storage and non essential programs....
  7. Files being automatically created in my D: drive.

Files being automatically created in my D: drive.: The files shown below are being automatically created whenever i delete them. Some contain a "FILE File" which ranges between 0-400 bytes[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Folders being created on my gaming HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders being created on my gaming HDD: [ATTACH] Hi the screenshot below shows my HDD which is only for storing games. For some reason I am getting folders created msdownload.tmp, Program Files, WindowsAPps, WpSystem. Is there a way to permanently remove these files and stop them from being created on this HDD ?...
  9. Temporary Folders Created on Network Drives

Temporary Folders Created on Network Drives: Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue we have with random folders being created in network directories when outputting files from a specific application. They seem like filesystem folders to me, or work folders for the application that should normally be invisible...
  10. Folders Being Created

Folders Being Created: Lately I have noticed that something in (I Think in Windows) is creating 2 folders on my computer. One is called (_CLOUD) and the other is called (ASTRA). I can delete them (and I do). Does anyone know what is causing these folders to be created and if so … How do you turn...