Windows 10: Folders closing on their own

Discus and support Folders closing on their own in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hoping someone can help. I've been having some issues with my computer running really slowly and not responding which I suspect has something to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ArmstrongsUniball, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Folders closing on their own

Hoping someone can help.

I've been having some issues with my computer running really slowly and not responding which I suspect has something to do with a failing HDD. I ran a check disk and the number of "hard disk has a bad block" errors in event viewer had dropped significantly from every 5 seconds and the computer was a lot more responsive.

I've bought a new HDD and just went on my computer to make sure everything that I require is backed up and I realised that i was still having issues with the folders I open closing themselves and the screen refreshing regularly.

Is it likely that these are related to the failing HDD or is this something else I probably have to fix?

submitted by /u/ArmstrongsUniball
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ArmstrongsUniball, Apr 9, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Apr 9, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Apr 9, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Folders closing on their own

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

Folders closing on their own

1. Folders closing on their own - Similar Threads - Folders closing own

2. terminal opening and closing on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    terminal opening and closing on its own: when i start my laptop windows 11 terminal start opening and closing on its own. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/terminal-opening-and-closing-on-its-own/4022d837-0a12-465b-b7af-032674c2e2e5
  3. terminal opening and closing on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    terminal opening and closing on its own: when i start my laptop windows 11 terminal start opening and closing on its own. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/terminal-opening-and-closing-on-its-own/4022d837-0a12-465b-b7af-032674c2e2e5
  4. Outlook and Chrome apps close on their own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook and Chrome apps close on their own: Every day, both my Chrome and Outlook apps shut down automatically, sometimes several times a day. It always happens while I'm using a different app i.e. MS Word, Quickbooks, etc., and both apps seem to shut down at the same time. If it was only Chrome OR Outlook, I would...
  5. Outlook and Chrome apps close on their own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook and Chrome apps close on their own: Every day, both my Chrome and Outlook apps shut down automatically, sometimes several times a day. It always happens while I'm using a different app i.e. MS Word, Quickbooks, etc., and both apps seem to shut down at the same time. If it was only Chrome OR Outlook, I would...
  6. windows settings closing on its own

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows settings closing on its own: when i open my settings and click on a category the settings app just closes on itself. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-settings-closing-on-its-own/f7e242d2-72be-4c4e-90bc-197bd7917709
  7. programs, browers close and/or minimize on their own

in Windows 10 Customization
    programs, browers close and/or minimize on their own: I have a new HP laptop and for the past month, my browser will close on its own and Word will minimize on its own. How do I stop this? Also, since the last update, when I'm using Windows Settings, and I click on a topic, it goes automatically to Bing and there is no way to...
  8. Folders keep moving on their own

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders keep moving on their own: Hello, Windows Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 I have this continuous problem with the folders re-organizing themselves with rebellious permanence on my personal computer files and desktop. I have a physical disability which means sometimes when I click the mouse, the...
  9. Issue with different windows closing on their own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue with different windows closing on their own: I'll be using something like Firefox and suddenly it closes down. Most of the time I can't reopen it & if I can it closes again seconds later. From then on the same thing will happen to anything I try to view Netflix app, mail app etc. I'll look at it and within 10 seconds...
  10. Issue With Applications closing on their own, suddenly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue With Applications closing on their own, suddenly.: I have a Lenovo Laptop and recently I have been experiencing some issue with my Windows 10. As soon as I open any application or even file explorer, the applications close automatically. Also, When I type something, anywhere, the applications close on their own. The "shut...