Windows 10: Folders/files getting dragged to the desktop always go to the top left first, push every...

Discus and support Folders/files getting dragged to the desktop always go to the top left first, push every... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So basically say I've downloaded a file and it goes to the downloads folder but I want it on my desktop. I drag it there, it goes top left first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Oryon-, Feb 11, 2021.

1. /u/Oryon- Win User

Folders/files getting dragged to the desktop always go to the top left first, push every...

So basically say I've downloaded a file and it goes to the downloads folder but I want it on my desktop. I drag it there, it goes top left first (pushes every icon down one position) then goes back to the place I dropped it at. It's just annoying. Any way I can fix this?

submitted by /u/Oryon-
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Oryon-, Feb 11, 2021

2. Ways to Drag Files or Folders

Summary:

This article covers ways to drag files or folders while working on File Explorer.

Here's a list of ways to copy, move, or create shortcuts:

CTRL while dragging a file - Copy a file to another drive or folder. *

SHIFT while dragging a file - Move a file to another drive. **

ALT while dragging a file - Create a shortcut to a file on the desktop or another location.

*: You can also drag a file or folder to another drive, which means copying.

**: If moving a file or folder to another folder on the same drive, you don't need to hold SHIFT while dragging a file or folder.

TIP: If you use your right mouse button to drag a file or folder to another folder or desktop and release it, you will get three options: Copy Here, Move Here, and Create Shortcut(s) Here.

PilotRain942054, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Win10 Desktop files are in my Desktop folder but not visible on my Desktop

Hi Peter,

Based on the details you have provided, you can try these basic steps:

• Right-click on your desktop.
    • Select View.
    • Check or uncheck Auto Arrange Icons.
    • It should make all files and folders appear but on the left side, You will have to drag and drop them where you need it.
    Let us know if this resolves your issue.

Eugene deV, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Folders/files getting dragged to the desktop always go to the top left first, push every...

Why does Windows 10 exit to parent folder up on dragging a file to a network folder?

Can you provide some reproduction steps so I can test it out in the lab? Correct me if I have this wrong:

• Open network folder ( \\server\folder\subfolder )
    • Take a file from desktop, and drag it into the openeed folder
    • The opened folder will jump up a level (to the "folder" in this example) after releasing

Is that right?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Folders/files getting dragged to the desktop always go to the top left first, push every...

1. Folders/files getting dragged to the desktop always go to the top left first, push every... - Similar Threads - Folders files getting

2. After dragging a file to a folder I ALWAYS then have to scroll up to the top of the folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After dragging a file to a folder I ALWAYS then have to scroll up to the top of the folder: This issue is driving me nuts.I am copying a file into a folder, whose files are sorted with the newest at the top.I copy by CRTL-drag/drop. The source & target folders are in detailed list view mode.When I drop the file into the folder, it gets "dropped" at the bottom of the...
  3. After dragging a file to a folder I ALWAYS then have to scroll up to the top of the folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After dragging a file to a folder I ALWAYS then have to scroll up to the top of the folder: This issue is driving me nuts.I am copying a file into a folder, whose files are sorted with the newest at the top.I copy by CRTL-drag/drop. The source & target folders are in detailed list view mode.When I drop the file into the folder, it gets "dropped" at the bottom of the...
  4. file/folder is fixed in the top of the Desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file/folder is fixed in the top of the Desktop.: Hi!I have this problem since windows 10. I have updated my computer to windows 11 but still. I have the same problem. For some reason, I have something fixed in the desktop screen. when I click this thing, a file/folder opens. this thing doesn't appear until I hover on...
  5. file/folder is fixed in the top of the Desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file/folder is fixed in the top of the Desktop.: Hi!I have this problem since windows 10. I have updated my computer to windows 11 but still. I have the same problem. For some reason, I have something fixed in the desktop screen. when I click this thing, a file/folder opens. this thing doesn't appear until I hover on...
  6. file/folder is fixed in the top of the Desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Dragging files to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dragging files to desktop: I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. I'm using three monitors and before I did this clean install, I could keep my browser window open on the middle monitor, drag a file or picture to the desktop on the right monitor, and it'd place the file where I wanted wherever...
  8. New Shortcuts on Desktop going to top left and pushing other shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Shortcuts on Desktop going to top left and pushing other shortcuts.: How do have new shortcuts on my desktop go to the first empty space? Instead, it goes to the upper left space, where I have something, and pushes everything down a space, with shortcuts already on the bottom looping around the top of the next column. (Only for shortcuts added...
  9. Pinning a file in the folder that it is in, so it can be always the top file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pinning a file in the folder that it is in, so it can be always the top file.: Title pretty much is this possible? No matter the sorting and grouping option I select I would love to have 1 file be pinned to be the top file no matter what, any info would be much appreciated....
  10. Icon at top left of desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon at top left of desktop: [img] This icon used to be in the form of a folder, but I deleted it and it's come back as a piece of paper. I haven't a clue as to what it's for, because when I click on it, nothing happens. Anyone else getting this? 4048