Windows 10: Folders have two names

Discus and support Folders have two names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My efforts to permanently remove 3D Objects folder were unsuccessful. Microsoft always came up with a way to put it back. So I thought I would make it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tkphelps, Jan 19, 2021.

1. tkphelps Win User

Folders have two names

My efforts to permanently remove 3D Objects folder were unsuccessful. Microsoft always came up with a way to put it back. So I thought I would make it into something useful and re-named it to Books then moved all my "Books" into that folder. Microsoft found a way to change the name back. I can fix it with Rename, but I suspect Microsoft will change it back at the next update, so I changed the name to x3D Objects and tried to create another folder named Books, and I can't do that because there is still the share name Books attached to x3D Objects - See Capture.jpg attached. So how do I get rid of that spurious share name.
    winver 1709 Build 18363.1316
    Folders have two names [​IMG]

:)

tkphelps, Jan 19, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jan 19, 2021
  4. White Win User

Folders have two names

List file names than a folder.

Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder?
    If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Please.

White, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Folders have two names

1. Folders have two names - Similar Threads - Folders names

2. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  3. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  4. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...: Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the...
  5. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...: Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the...
  6. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

7. why can't i create a new folder without name in windows 10 using ALT 0160 or 255?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't i create a new folder without name in windows 10 using ALT 0160 or 255?: right-clicked on a new folder to rename it, held ALT, and typed 0160 or 255 but it didn't work. I created this question not as a question, but to answer my question because this thread is locked.You want to make sure you have num lock on, and then while holding down alt, type...
  8. why can't i create a new folder without name in windows 10 using ALT 0160 or 255?

why can't i create a new folder without name in windows 10 using ALT 0160 or 255?: right-clicked on a new folder to rename it, held ALT, and typed 0160 or 255 but it didn't work. I created this question not as a question, but to answer my question because this thread is locked.You want to make sure you have num lock on, and then while holding down alt, type...
  9. I cannot name a new folders, recover files from a bin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot name a new folders, recover files from a bin.: Every new folder creates with standart name.The problems began after I accidentally deleted a Desctop folder. It was in OneDrive folder.Help me please...
  10. I cannot name a new folders, recover files from a bin.

I cannot name a new folders, recover files from a bin.: Every new folder creates with standart name.The problems began after I accidentally deleted a Desctop folder. It was in OneDrive folder.Help me please...