Windows 10: Folders/icons on desktop gone

Discus and support Folders/icons on desktop gone in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am on 1903 I will explain this as it played out I had battlenet on my computer but it was a blank icon..tried uninstalling it but it wouldn't let... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by satorii, Sep 24, 2019.

1. satorii Win User

Folders/icons on desktop gone

I am on 1903

I will explain this as it played out

I had battlenet on my computer but it was a blank icon..tried uninstalling it but it wouldn't let me. I could not get it to uninstall. Not sure why it was blank..i never uninstalled it before.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the battlenet app from blizzards website

I proceed to install it and login

I notice there is a copy of heathstone installed and i didn't want it so i clicked the "setting" option above the game and clicked uninstall on hearthstone.

Right away after clicking uninstall, before any uninstall process could start pretty much all of my shortcuts(accept for a few random ones) and ALL of my folders and documents i had disappeared from my desktop.

i have run a health check and scannow and some restarts.

I have checked in my users folder in c\user\desktop

id imagine its some sort of registry error maybe? with battle net being a blank icon to it "hiding/removing" all my icons right after clicking uninstall it sounds like a reg error.

Also after restarting ..I go to click on "uninstall or change a program" just out of random and all it would do was close before even opening it. here is an screencap: Screen capture - a99ae684420698462012fc21eed0ada3 - Gyazo

thats also telling me there is something up with explorer too.

I'm not sure but i need some of those files back and i cant get my original desktop to show.

:)

satorii, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Mr McC Win User

Weird desktop icon behaviour on Steam

Yes, they are; however, when I right click on the "blue sphere" icon to change it and browse to the corresponding folder inside the Steam folder, it lets me go through all the steps, but the blue sphere remains. *Confused Folders/icons on desktop gone :confused:

Mr McC, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Folders/icons on desktop gone

Icons on the desktop

Hi,

There are several reasons for your desktop icons not to stay put such as changes in registry, system cache, or an enabled
    Auto arrange icon setting. To rectify your issue with keeping your icons arranged, we suggest that you right-click on any blank space on your desktop, click
    View, then make sure that the check mark for Auto arrange icon is removed.

If the issue persist even after performing the steps above, you can rebuild your icon cache. This method solves most issues with incorrectly displayed icons. Here are the steps to do so:

• Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the
      Run box.
    • Type %userprofile%, then hit Enter.
    • Go to the AppData folder, then open the Local
      folder.
    • Select the IconCache file, then click Delete.

If you're having challenges finding the IconCache file, you have to make sure that your hidden items are visible. Below are the steps:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

Folders/icons on desktop gone

1. Folders/icons on desktop gone - Similar Threads - Folders icons desktop

2. Desktop Folder gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Folder gone?: I recently deleted my desktop folder on accident while cleaning things out on one drive. I quickly restored it but most of my files were removed from my desktop. I tried moving the actual desktop folder form the C drive onto one drive but then I realized it didnt fix anything...
  3. Desktop Folder gone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Folder gone?: I recently deleted my desktop folder on accident while cleaning things out on one drive. I quickly restored it but most of my files were removed from my desktop. I tried moving the actual desktop folder form the C drive onto one drive but then I realized it didnt fix anything...
  4. Most of desktop icons gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most of desktop icons gone.: I signed off normally yesterday. When I signed up most of icons on my desktop were gone. I thought something bad happened but when I went into desktop folder in OneDrive everything was there but it didn't appear on my desktop....
  5. Every single icon is gone, on my desktop and in my folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every single icon is gone, on my desktop and in my folders.: So yesterday I restarted my pc and all of a sudden, every icon for my apps are gone. There is only text, which is clickable and the apps are functioning. I have show desktop icons on, I dont have tablet mode on, I've tried resetting the IconCache, but nothing seems to work....
  6. Desktop Icons gone haywire

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons gone haywire: When I turned on my Windows 10 laptop the other morning, my desktop icons were spread out in 4 rows, with many of them missing. I have not installed or uninstalled anything on this computer for many weeks. I do a complete full shutdown nightly Fast Startup is turned off. The...
  7. Desktop shortcut icons gone on laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop shortcut icons gone on laptop: Worked on my laptop yesterday, all good. Turned on this morning and ALL my desktop shortcut files, GONE. Can someone help me troubleshoot, thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-shortcut-icons-gone-on-laptop/48a04e93-647a-43ee-a635-7f2fb7cc63e8
  8. desktop icons gone after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop icons gone after update: I want to ask why after a update windows 10 home version 1709 build 16.299.785 my icons are gone from the desktop and 1 icon came back on my taskbar, and when I click that all does come back....this is so weird, can you help me to resolve this. thank you...
  9. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950
  10. All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain: Hello, After a restart all my icons have disappeared on the Desktop and in all of my folders. The titles under the icons remain and are selectable to open programs. The taskbar is also affected with only generic icons showing for programs; the Quicklaunch bar shows...