Windows 10: Folders keep reverting to read-only

Discus and support Folders keep reverting to read-only in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, Not sure if this is the place to get help, but couldn't think where else to go. As the title says, every time I change a folder's settings to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SpacePirateBlueUmbra, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Folders keep reverting to read-only

Hi all, Not sure if this is the place to get help, but couldn't think where else to go. As the title says, every time I change a folder's settings to read-write, it reverts to read-only. My account is an admin account and I've changed all my disks to read write with the command prompt. I'm completely lost about this, and any help at all is appreciated.

submitted by /u/SpacePirateBlueUmbra
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SpacePirateBlueUmbra, Jun 24, 2020
  2. sjackson Win User

Folder Reverting to Read Only

I have two drives. My C drive and my D drive. I use my D drive as an external hard drive, but it's internal. My C drive is an SSD and my D drive is an HDD. My SSD is too small, so everything large goes on the HDD. Every folder in my HDD is read-only. I right click the folder and go into properties and take it off read-only and apply the changes, when I go back into properties the folder in question is back on read-only. I have googled this problem multiple times. So all of the basic things that I can try, have been tried. I'll list them below.

Both CMD with Admin Privileges
    attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

Example Images: Not my system, the images are examples but I did the aforementioned and still no result.

Folders keep reverting to read-only [​IMG]

CMD with Full Admin Privileges

attrib -r "full path of folder\*" /s /d

Powershell: With full Admin Privileges

Get-ChildItem -Path "full path of file with extension" -Recurse -File | % { $_.IsReadOnly=$False }

If there is anything else that I can try to get these folders off Read-Only. Please give me a detailed set of instructions that even a layman like myself can understand. Thanks in advance!

sjackson, Jun 24, 2020
  3. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jun 24, 2020
  4. alone Win User

Folders keep reverting to read-only

Display langage reverted back

I followed the suggested actions: everything OK from step 1. and I attach as requested the output for step 2.

for convenience I attach the google translation

I'm ready to act following suggestions (if any) before...going through the restore (please don't misunderstand, I'm not looking forward doing it).

I appreciate in any case your help

alone, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

Folders keep reverting to read-only

1. Folders keep reverting to read-only - Similar Threads - Folders keep reverting

2. New SSD, folders keep reverting to read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New SSD, folders keep reverting to read only: Hello,I have bought a new SSD and formatted it. All files within are automatically set to 'read only' and keep reverting whenever unticked.The SSD is NOT set to read only. It's shown as 'healthy' in Windows and in the diskpart cmd, it is also not shown as readonly.All users...
  3. New SSD, folders keep reverting to read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New SSD, folders keep reverting to read only: Hello,I have bought a new SSD and formatted it. All files within are automatically set to 'read only' and keep reverting whenever unticked.The SSD is NOT set to read only. It's shown as 'healthy' in Windows and in the diskpart cmd, it is also not shown as readonly.All users...
  4. Folder attributes keep reverting to read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder attributes keep reverting to read only: The title says it all - I installed an old game, and when I tried to save a game, I found that I couldn't. I checked the folder settings, and they said read only. I tried to uncheck it, but it keeps reverting. The option to only make the change to the folder itself is...
  5. Folder Keeps Reverting to Read Only on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder Keeps Reverting to Read Only on Windows 10: Hello, When I uncheck my read-only box in properties it keeps reverting and checking the box to read-only. I am on my administrator account and have full control over permissions on all drives. I have taken ownership of the drive I have given every user on my system drive...
  6. My folders keep reverting to read only

My folders keep reverting to read only: Every time i uncheck read only it just goes back to read only after a few mins this means i cant play any games on steam as it keeps telling me the folder is read only please help...
  7. "Read-only" keeps reverting

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Read-only" keeps reverting: Let me start by saying that I have visited countless posts and read many articles on the topic. I have tried almost everything that I came across. its pointless to say, but hitting "apply" instead of "ok" didn't help I changed my account to administrator, used cmd attrib -r...
  8. Folder keeps reverting to read-only but files are fine.

Folder keeps reverting to read-only but files are fine.: Hi,I've this issue where my folders created has this black square on the read-only box.As shown in the pictureWhen i untick it it would be still the same but when the files are read-only,When i untick it files would become non read-only but not the folder.All helps are...
  9. Folder Reverting to Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Reverting to Read Only: I have two drives. My C drive and my D drive. I use my D drive as an external hard drive, but it's internal. My C drive is an SSD and my D drive is an HDD. My SSD is too small, so everything large goes on the HDD. Every folder in my HDD is read-only. I right click the folder...
  10. Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only

Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only: My Music folder and the files within keep reverting to Read-only. I'm the owner (and administrator) of the file so that shouldn't be the issue. When I uncheck Read-only and Apply it nearly finishes but then gives me the message: Error Applying Attributes An error...