Windows 10: Folders missing after upgrade to 1511

Discus and support Folders missing after upgrade to 1511 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Windows 10 on my PC last night upgraded itself to 1511. This morning, I noticed that when I open File Explorer that under "My PC" the folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by london2000, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Folders missing after upgrade to 1511

Hello,

Windows 10 on my PC last night upgraded itself to 1511. This morning, I noticed that when I open File Explorer that under "My PC" the folders and files in "Documents" have all disappeared.

However, the files are still there and I can retrieve individual files by searching for them by name. I can also open the entire folder structure by going a long way round, namely "C:\Windows\Users\{user name}\Documents rather than just looking under "My PC".

Other folders under "My PC" (eg, Pictures, Music, etc) are unaffected and are still visible.

As the Document folders were visible yesterday afternoon this problem must be associated with the upgrade to 1511. Has anyone else experienced this - and does anyone have a solution?

Thanks, Roger

:)

london2000, Dec 11, 2015
  2. trav07 Win User

Desktop files missing after Update 1511

Just updated a brand new PC to Windows 10 Version 1511 and had the same issue. When looking under This PC, My Documents, My Pictures, etc. are empty. All folders and files that were previously in them are missing. After some research online,
    I was able to determine that the folders and files are still under my User folder. Hope that helps.

It's terribly disappointing that MS did not warn about this issue prior to pushing this upgrade.

trav07, Dec 11, 2015
  3. sunnydp Win User
    Folders not visible after upgrade to 1511

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my Dell laptop and lost all my folders and pictures. I am not computer savvy and fear I cannot retrieve them. They were saved to my hard drive though? HELP

sunnydp, Dec 11, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Folders missing after upgrade to 1511

Hi london2000, welcome to Ten Forums. Try opening file explorer and click the File tab, Click on change folder and Search options. You should have this.

Folders missing after upgrade to 1511 [​IMG]

For each tab (General, View, Serch) click on Restore Defaults, Apply and OK. See if that helps.

JohnC, Dec 11, 2015
  5. Thanks, John, that was a good suggestion but unfortunately it's made no difference.

london2000, Dec 11, 2015
  6. As a workaround until a proper solution is found, I've pinned the long route (ie, C:\Windows\Users\{user name}\Documents) to "Quick Access" which gets me to where I want to be with one click of the mouse.

london2000, Dec 12, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Does rt clicking a folder, "Include in Library" help here?
    Sorry, a random thought as I've never had such a problem ... yet..

dalchina, Dec 12, 2015
  8. Folders missing after upgrade to 1511

Thanks for the suggestion but when I just tried it I got the message back saying it was already in the library.

london2000, Dec 12, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    - or moving the folders out and back in?

Other hints on the internet suggest a corrupted user profile.

dalchina, Dec 12, 2015
  10. Thanks, but unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to do that.

What I have noticed this afternoon is that the empty Documents folder under "My PC" is actually a OneDrive folder. All the other folders under "My PC" are C:\ drive folders.

Do you know how a corrupted user profile might be fixed?

Thanks

london2000, Dec 12, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, essentially you need to create a new one.
    I suggest some research is needed.
    Fix corrupt profile in Windows 8
    gives an idea, but some things could be different in Win 10.
    How to fix a corrupt user profile in Windows - How-To - PC Advisor
    Fix: Corrupt User Profile in Windows 10

These more recent articles suggest at first glance there's no change.

A very quick search suggests there may be nothing in tenforums on this, but have a look.

Clearly you can create a new user with the same rights and demonstrate to your own satisfaction the same symptom isn't present before doing anything more drastic.

It rather depends also how complex your existing profile it is. If you can fairly simply create another user whose files, folders, startups are the same, then delete your current one, that's great. However you also need to consider the question of your login id, particularly if you use an MS live id.

Ideally someone who's been through that would help...*Smile

dalchina, Dec 12, 2015
  12. Thanks for this advice. I'll look into it but I'm concerned I could end up in a bigger mess. I'm always fully backed up so it might be easier for me simply to reset the PC and start again from scratch, trusting to luck that the 1511 upgrade works flawlessly next time.

In the meanwhile the workaround I've implemented (attaching the full path length to "Quick Access") is preserving my sanity so there's no rush to do anything!

I much appreciate you taking the time to provide advice.

london2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Folders missing after upgrade to 1511

1. Folders missing after upgrade to 1511 - Similar Threads - Folders missing upgrade

2. Cannot upgrade past 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade past 1511: I have a Lenovo T400 laptop that runs a legitimate activated copy of Windows 7 Pro. I successfully upgraded it to Windows 10 1511 some time ago. It has all the updates to 1511 but cannot install the 1809 update. Any ideas? 139186
  3. Can't Upgrade to 1511

Can't Upgrade to 1511: Hello, I have been following this thread and am unable to upgrade my laptop to 1511, I am on build 10240. I have followed all the steps in this thread and many other threads with no result. I will update windows defender stuff but will not upgrade to build 1511 or the latest...
  4. Windows 1511 upgrade problem

Windows 1511 upgrade problem: Hi, I bought recently laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed on it. Last week I've tried to install 1511 upgrade, but it got stuck at about 23% so I decided to postpone it and to do this upgrade overnight since I heard that it takes lot of time. Now, however I keep getting this...
  5. Disrupted network after upgrade to 1511

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disrupted network after upgrade to 1511: Hi, Two of my three-computer network upgraded to W10 1511 from 10240, and ever since these two won’t see each other in their respective Network folder. The remainder can see them both but it is still a W10 10240, which indicates that there is a problem with the latest...
  6. Disk Usage after 10250 -> 1511 upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Usage after 10250 -> 1511 upgrade: Hi Guys, I recently did a clean install of Win 10 1511 on one of my machines and things went so well that I thought I'd take the chance and upgrade my other system from Win 10 10240 to 1511, using the "Media Creation Toll" method... It seemed to take about twice as long...
  7. After upgrading to Windows 10 version 1511

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After upgrading to Windows 10 version 1511: Right now I'm suffering issues on Windows 10 after upgrading to version 1511 The issues include: Performance issues - my laptop is suffering lag and hangs randomly (this had never happened before version 1511) Longer boot - It would take 30 seconds or longer to boot,...
  8. Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?: I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person told me that it is not...
  9. Problem upgrading to 1511

Problem upgrading to 1511: Hi, I successfully upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home a week or so ago but I used an ISO that I had successfully upgraded 2 other PCs with - turns out It was build 10240. When I upgraded it gave me the option to keep all my installed software and settings. I'm now...
  10. System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade

System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade: Be kind, I'm more than a little stressed at the moment... I did a stupid thing. When I upgraded all 5 computers here to Windows 10 several months ago, it went SO WELL I figured doing the November upgrade yesterday would be a snap. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ran the...