Windows 10: Folders missing from D: after a new C: drive installation

Discus and support Folders missing from D: after a new C: drive installation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently installed a new SSD for my primary drive C: and after I booted up the PC the files from my secondary SSD drive D: which used to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Noxis, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Noxis Win User

Folders missing from D: after a new C: drive installation

I recently installed a new SSD for my primary drive C: and after I booted up the PC the files from my secondary SSD drive D: which used to have documents, pictures, and games saved in there are no longer there. Instead I'm seeing completely different folders that were not there before. Not sure how to explain it but the folder that I see now in my secondary drive has similar folders you would normally see in a primary drive such as "Program Files", "Users", and "Windows". I tried to run the chkdsk command however it says my access is denied as I do not have sufficient priviliges or the disk is locked. Did I do something wrong during the installation of windows in the new C: drive I replaced? What would cause the D: drive to delete or change folders?

:)

Noxis, Jan 1, 2021
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Folders missing from D: after a new C: drive installation ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jan 1, 2021
  3. Installing Windows on my new C drive

Current Situation: My C Disk is cramming up and I decided to change a new C disk.

Currently my computer storage is composed of an SSD (being my C disk) and an HDD. I bought a new SSD and desire to somehow transfer my current system into the new SSD along with the current environmental variables, user data, both program files folder, and
    various other folders instead of installing a brand new system on my new C drive.

Questions I am currently wondering:

1. I noticed the function provided by windows called "Create a system image". Currently my softwares are distributed evenly in my C drive (SSD) and D drive (HDD). I am not changing my HDD, so softwares installed there will not be removed. If I only choose
      to backup my system in my C drive, can I still run my softwares on my HDD after changing a C drive and reinstalling Windows using the generated ISO file?
    2. Does this function "create a system image" pack up the environmental variables, registry, along with all other folders in my C drive, or only the minimal system?
    3. If I extract the system image ISO into my new C drive, can I somehow "extract" from the ISO file to create a new system in my new drive? If not, is it possible to make my new C drive a windows Boot USB, and directly installing the windows system onto itself?
    4. What is your suggested method of making this move?

Thank you for your help!!

Power_tile, Jan 1, 2021
  4. Folders missing from D: after a new C: drive installation

D drive missing

HI,

After windows 10 update my D drive is missing. And it works fine if I change the drive letter. But the weird issue is the system shows C and D drives as the same drive.( A new D drive got created and is same as C drive). How do I delete this unnecessary
    D drive?

VikramSoni1, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

Folders missing from D: after a new C: drive installation

1. Folders missing from D: after a new C: drive installation - Similar Threads - Folders missing drive

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  4. Transferring 'Documents' folder/files from C to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring 'Documents' folder/files from C to D drive: As the title says, I'm trying to move the folder to my D drive as my C drive has been rapidly losing storage not sure why, any tips on that? and so I wanted to free up space. Well, I was advised that I can redirect the 'documents' folder by right clicking the folder, going to...
  5. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  6. Trying to move Roaming folder from C: to D: drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to move Roaming folder from C: to D: drive: Im having some storage issues right now (my C drive having 35 gigs left and my D having 1T) and i wanted to move my Roaming folder over because that's whats taking up a bit of storage. is there any way to do that? Thanks. submitted by /u/xX_Bacon_Boi_Xx [link] [comments]...
  7. My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.: Hello! So today I installed an extra drive for storage, and as soon as I booted the pc up, windows started scanning for errors. After it scanned, it asked me to reboot again for Security and maintenance. Even after I rebooted, it still asked me to reboot again. So I tried...
  8. Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive

Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive: I want the OneDrive to backup pictures from my d drive rather than my c drive. when I click location for my one drive pictures and try and change it I get the following error message Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same directory that can't be...
  9. Windows folder in c and d drives

Windows folder in c and d drives: I have my windows installed in my c drive but i saw another windows folder on d drive. Can i delete this and how? [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-folder-in-c-and-d-drives/c9ab0bb9-8127-40f9-a7d1-46375afa080f
  10. D drive installations instead of C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    D drive installations instead of C drive: During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue...