Windows 10: Folders not responding

Discus and support Folders not responding in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When i click on any folder and then select a file, it hangs. It says on top of the folder "Not Responding". When i close the folder the screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArjunKumar5, May 27, 2020.

1. Folders not responding

When i click on any folder and then select a file, it hangs. It says on top of the folder "Not Responding". When i close the folder the screen refreshes and the folder closes. But the problem of not responsing persists every time i open the folder and click to open a file.

This is happening with all folders. Very frustrating considering this surface is not even a year old.

To open a particular file i need to know its name and search it through the start menu.

Please help.

Wishes,

:)

ArjunKumar5, May 27, 2020

2. Windows Folders Randomly Freezing and Not Responding

Once in a while, some of my windows folders, irrespective of the number of files and their size randomly freezes, then shows not responding and shuts down.

When i try and open them again they do the same. over and over.

the only solutions I have found to overcome this is.

1. Restart the System.
    2. Remove a few items from the folder.
    3. Change the Sort by/Group by Format of the folder.

Can anyone suggest what may be the source of the problem; and any solutions ?

Vigneswara Prabhu, May 27, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Folders not responding :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 27, 2020
  4. enso Win User

Folders not responding

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

Folders not responding

1. Folders not responding - Similar Threads - Folders responding

2. download folder doesn't responding. how to fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download folder doesn't responding. how to fix this?: download folder doesn't responding. how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-folder-doesnt-responding-how-to-fix-this/784b29dd-c265-45d2-add2-2936016fa404
  3. download folder doesn't responding. how to fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download folder doesn't responding. how to fix this?: download folder doesn't responding. how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-folder-doesnt-responding-how-to-fix-this/784b29dd-c265-45d2-add2-2936016fa404
  4. External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding: I have an external hard drive WD My Passport, which stopped working, but when I connect to my PC, I can see the folders. When I try to open the folders to copy the files, the windows says ''not responding.'' What should I do to recover my data?...
  5. External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding

External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding: I have an external hard drive WD My Passport, which stopped working, but when I connect to my PC, I can see the folders. When I try to open the folders to copy the files, the windows says ''not responding.'' What should I do to recover my data?...
  6. External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.: When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue....
  8. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.: When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue....
  9. Icon File , folder, shortcuts & application right click - system not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon File , folder, shortcuts & application right click - system not responding: Hi we are using Windows server 2012 R2 as a terminal server. now we are facing the issue of right click issue. some times system suddenly not responding the right clicks and shows system busy symbol. on that time user cant sign out and sign in. also shows 'windows event...
  10. Icon File , folder, shortcuts & application right click - system not responding

Icon File , folder, shortcuts & application right click - system not responding: Hi we are using Windows server 2012 R2 as a terminal server. now we are facing the issue of right click issue. some times system suddenly not responding the right clicks and shows system busy symbol. on that time user cant sign out and sign in. also shows 'windows event...