Windows 10: Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof

Discus and support Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I copied some stuff and noticed that a folder - Pictures & Pets had seemingly renamed itself to Pictures without asking or even notifying me. See this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Aelius, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Aelius Win User

Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof

I copied some stuff and noticed that a folder - Pictures & Pets had seemingly renamed itself to Pictures without asking or even notifying me. See this gif I made that shows it in action.

I've never seen anything like this before, and I've used Windows 12+ hours a day for well over a decade.

I just updating to a fresh Windows 10 install. The folders were initially created in Windows 7. If I create a new folder with the same name, I cannot replicate this anymore. This is only a problem when copying the actual folder that I originally created in Windows 7. Still, it makes me worried what other shenanigans it might be doing to my data without me knowing.

At a glance, no other folders copied from Windows 7 have this issue, including other folders with an ampersand in the name.

What in the heck is this?

:)

Aelius, Jun 7, 2019

2. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof

1. Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof - Similar Threads - Folders renaming themselves

2. Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a Folder: HelloI transferred a folder to Google Drive as a back up. It seems automatically the original folder was named as MobilMover.exe., and my original folder was made sub-folder! I am not sure what the folder name MobilMover.exe is doing? I tried to rename it but will not allow...
  3. Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming a Folder: HelloI transferred a folder to Google Drive as a back up. It seems automatically the original folder was named as MobilMover.exe., and my original folder was made sub-folder! I am not sure what the folder name MobilMover.exe is doing? I tried to rename it but will not allow...
  4. Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shared network folders closing by themselves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared network folders closing by themselves: I'm running windows 10 pro version 21H2If I open a folder that is stored on my pc, it will stay open in the background until I choose to close it.If I open a folder on a shared network location A drive on a server computer that I am wired into if the folder is in the...
  6. file folders close themselves

file folders close themselves: When I am looking for a particular file in a file folder, and I don't know which file it is, I sometimes have to open several to find it. Each time I open a file, the file folder seems to close itself and go back to the desktop. When I want to trry a different file, I have to...
  7. renaming folders

renaming folders: I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file." Then when I x out of that message, I get: 2) "The file or folder does not exist." I can rename the folder by going to the...
  8. Rename folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename folder: Hi It's not possible Rename. When you change the name, all five folders change to the same. Best regards, Peter[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/rename-folder/5ae40fa8-392b-4a94-ace7-fc1d5aa6c2ab
  9. Folders Resetting Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders Resetting Themselves: This just started happening and since a reboot didn't fix it I'm stumped as to what is going on. When I have a folder open with enough files listed that I have to scroll through the list, every now and then, even though I'm still using the list, the folder resets itself to...
  10. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

in Windows 10 Support
    Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names: I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the...