Windows 10: Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive

Discus and support Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three computers, main desktop, backup old desktop, and laptop. I had a guy come and set up sharing so they'd see each other. However, the main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ithinktfiam, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive

I have three computers, main desktop, backup old desktop, and laptop. I had a guy come and set up sharing so they'd see each other. However, the main desktop has stopped seeing the laptop. When I turn on the laptop and it connects to the network, it can see the other two computers no problem as connected network drives. The desktop can see the backup but not the laptop.

When I check the laptop's Document drive it is shared on the network. What do I need to reset on one or the other computer so that the desktop can again see the laptop's shared Documents folder

:)

ithinktfiam, Sep 10, 2018
  2. sarahk Win User

Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Hi

My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.

At various times it's all been good but then something mysterious happens and we're back to square one.

So
    • I've set up a homegroup and both computers belong to it
    • I've set up sharing so that the homegroup can read/write
    • I've added my husbands email address as a user on the desktop and accepted the invitation so that it doesn't show as pending

Yet, when I go to the laptop
    • I can see the homegroup and the two computers that are in it
    • I can see the network and the same two computers
    • If I click on the drives I get a no-permission error

I've obviously missed a step somewhere and I've gone over tutorials and guides but can't work out what it is. Any ideas?

sarahk, Sep 10, 2018
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Sep 10, 2018
  4. YIN
    Yin Win User

Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive

XP Sharing Folder\drive issues??

Hi Guys,

2 computers. desktop(yin) and laptop(yin2)

I can access \\Yin2 from my desktop, to see all shared folders on my laptop.

but I can't access \\Yin from my laptop. However I can access \\Yin\storage or \\Yin\Music and so on.

When I use the "net use \\yin" command in cmd on my laptop it read success
    but when i try to access i get permission denied.

Any Ideas?

Thema:

Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive

1. Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive - Similar Threads - Folders shared desktop

2. Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop: HELP! I am trying to share a drive containing folders and files on our desktop to a laptop. I have setup the drive, folder, and files to be shared; I have not required a password; etc. Yet, I either get errors saying 1 I need credentials yet without telling me EXACTLY what...
  3. Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop: HELP! I am trying to share a drive containing folders and files on our desktop to a laptop. I have setup the drive, folder, and files to be shared; I have not required a password; etc. Yet, I either get errors saying 1 I need credentials yet without telling me EXACTLY what...
  4. CAN I SEE THE SHARED FOLDER IN OUTLOOK DESKTOP APP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CAN I SEE THE SHARED FOLDER IN OUTLOOK DESKTOP APP: Actually, in Google Drive for desktop, we can see two items like My Drive and Shared Drives. Can we have that option in One Drive for desktops? Know that I can access those in web version of OneDrive using shred with me. But I am specific about OneDrive for desktop....
  5. CAN I SEE THE SHARED FOLDER IN OUTLOOK DESKTOP APP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CAN I SEE THE SHARED FOLDER IN OUTLOOK DESKTOP APP: Actually, in Google Drive for desktop, we can see two items like My Drive and Shared Drives. Can we have that option in One Drive for desktops? Know that I can access those in web version of OneDrive using shred with me. But I am specific about OneDrive for desktop....
  6. Sharing Problem: Desktop sees Laptop, but Laptop does not see Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Problem: Desktop sees Laptop, but Laptop does not see Desktop: I have desktop and laptop on same workgroup and same router. Desktop is ethernet cable attached, laptop via wifi. Both systems are at the same level of Windows 10 Pro X64 - 20H2 19042 Shares were created via "Give Access" in file explorer. The desktop sees the laptop and its...
  7. Shared Folder on External Drive No Longer Shared

Shared Folder on External Drive No Longer Shared: I shared a folder on external drive. I also have a shared folder on the PC that the external drive is connected to. Twice now I've gone to access the shared folder on the external drive, and it wouldn't connect. So then I would access the PC in question via "\\MyPCName",...
  8. No longer sharing One Drive

No longer sharing One Drive: I had a shared One Drive with my now ex husband, I have resubscribed to Office 365 with my own email but my laptop is still saving my files to the shared One Drive...
  9. Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop

Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop: I'm configuring a new Win10 laptop. Initially, the laptop and my desktop (also Win10) could see each other under the Computer section under Network in File Explorer. This is over a hardwired Ethernet connection via a switch. I started copying a bunch of files from the desktop...
  10. Share desktop DVD Drive with Laptop

Share desktop DVD Drive with Laptop: The DVD drive on my laptop died. I often play games like Monopoly on my laptop while watching TV, but they require the DVD in the drive (which doesn't work). Can I share the DVD drive on my desktop with the laptop. I'd put the Monopoly disk in the desktop, re-install from...