Windows 10: Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change?

Discus and support Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently cannot open, edit and save a file as the folders are all marked as Read only. I cannot change them within Windows explorer, although it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pjskidby, Sep 7, 2018.

1. pjskidby Win User

Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change?

I recently cannot open, edit and save a file as the folders are all marked as Read only. I cannot change them within Windows explorer, although it goes through the motions of resetting. It is as if I have lost control as an administrator. Please help me unmark the folders as Read only and manage to save edited files, documents or pictures, etc., in all my folders. Thanks Paul

:)

pjskidby, Sep 7, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 7, 2018
  3. psbecker Win User
    Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change?

Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change?

1. Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change? - Similar Threads - Folders show Read

2. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  3. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  4. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed: Hello everyone. As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no matter what I try. This is the first time I have wanted to edit something a set of photo's since before Christmas and now I...
  5. Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it

Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it: Hello I would like to change the "Folder Access Rights" of the folder "Desktop" from "Read Only" to otherwise. When I try to change the rights, it acknowledges the change. However when I check again, it goes back to "Read Only". What do I do? Thank You Deepak...
  6. Changed Attribute of Roaming folder to Read-only | How to restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed Attribute of Roaming folder to Read-only | How to restore?: I stupidly changed the attribute of the roaming folder to read-only. Now, obviously, many applications are throwing errors. My question is: Is it safe in the long run to uncheck the "Read-only" Attribute of the roaming folder and all subfolders? Can someone explain what this...
  7. Windows 10 read only folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 read only folders: [ATTACH] Are all folders supposed to have a read only on them like this? Just performed a clean install of my pc b/c of this and it still remained even after I performed a clean install....
  8. Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.

Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.: I need to know how to fix the issue. The issue is "How do you change the folder's attributes so that it will no longer be "Read Only". I've gone into my PowerShell (Admin) and did the whole "attrib -r +s <drive>:\<folder>" thing -- it didn't work. I need some options....
  9. Search folder changes to read only

in Cortana
    Search folder changes to read only: Hi, Problem with a W10 /pro 64 bit workstation, version 1803 17131.407. After the latest update the search stopped finding stuff. Even in a folder with a file like photo.jpg, a search for photo or photo.* or even photo.jpg showed nothing. This had happened before....
  10. Folders read-only after motherboard change...

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders read-only after motherboard change...: Following a motherboard change this morning all my folders are now read-only causing problems with some programmes. If I go to the properties for a folder and uncheck read-only box including sub-folders and files it appears to work but next time I look the box is checked...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folders read only windows 10

2. windows folder shows readonly

3. windows 10 keeps changing folders to read only