Windows 10: Folders with videos sometimes freeze Explorer. Is there some kind of indexing or caching...

Discus and support Folders with videos sometimes freeze Explorer. Is there some kind of indexing or caching... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a folder on my hard drive where I store movies & TV shows (which I rip from my own discs etc.), and often when there's a new video in the folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RolandMT32, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Folders with videos sometimes freeze Explorer. Is there some kind of indexing or caching...

I have a folder on my hard drive where I store movies & TV shows (which I rip from my own discs etc.), and often when there's a new video in the folder or one of its subfolders, Explorer often freezes up for a minute or so when I have the folder open. I'm wondering if Windows is probably doing some scanning of the folder for indexing or caching or something? If so, is there a way to disable that for certain folders so it doesn't freeze up?

submitted by /u/RolandMT32
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RolandMT32, Jun 27, 2020
  2. Motim Win User

List \ Index video clips

Hello Bree,
    Thanks for the answer.
    First I opened the address in your answer, updated Chrome, then checked those video clips separatly in a player - all are ok.
    Then I tried to call the videos from the index list opened in Chrome, some still refused to play.
    Opened the index list in Edge - all of them played. Then opened the index list with the original internet explorer - got an error message for each video - file is corrupt.
    Cunclusion - I will open the index lists in Edge, but to make the indexes best is with Chrome.
    Thanks again.

Motim, Jun 27, 2020
  3. sorein Win User
    Explorer Search: Not all video files are found for kind:=video

As Windows doesn't recognize .DIVX and .FLV files as "video" by default, they won't appear as such in the search results. You surely found more extensions behaving like that. Basically, you have a folder and you know there are such video files in it. If
    you search for them with Windows Explorer using the option "kind:=video", they won't be listed in the search result.

SOLUTION

You have to add such extentions to Windows' registry "Kind" key.

1. Launch regedit.exe. (But do not do that on your own, if you are a novice in computers and you don't understand what damage the wrong handling of it can cause to your operating system.)

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\KindMap.

3. Right-click on KindMap then New/String Value. Name the string as the extension you want to add, like:

.divx

Enter.

4. Right click on the new string and choose Modify...

Type the "Value data" as the intended type, for example:

video

That "Value data" field can contain multiple file types separated by ";", example:

video;movie

The accepted types (kinds) are listed here:

Using Kind Names - Win32 apps

You can consider a .DIVX file as a video and/or a film. Not funnily, it you mark it as "movie" in that "Value data", when you search for the file in Windows Explorer, the "kind" will not be "movie", but "film"!

5. Repeat that for any extension you want to add.

6. Close the registry and go to Control Panel/ Indexing Options/ Advanced Options and the 2nd tab "File types". Select the extension. The radio button below defaults to "Index Properties Only". If you want to index the contents
    (useful if it is a text file type), then click "Index Properties and File Contents". Check that for any new extension you have added.

7. Go the 1st tab "Index Settings" and click Rebuild. It will take a while for the files to be re-indexed with the new changes you made.

sorein, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Folders with videos sometimes freeze Explorer. Is there some kind of indexing or caching...

Clear the 'cache' in file explorer for already used picture tags?

If you set some tags for your *.jpg pictures, the windows 10 file explorer shows them in the "details pane" on the right side.

Folders with videos sometimes freeze Explorer. Is there some kind of indexing or caching... [​IMG]

This list can get very long and with some wrong or no longer used entries.
    How can I clear this list / cache / suggestions?

Or how can I stop the file explorer to suggests already used Tags?

WTenNewbie, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Folders with videos sometimes freeze Explorer. Is there some kind of indexing or caching...

1. Folders with videos sometimes freeze Explorer. Is there some kind of indexing or caching... - Similar Threads - Folders videos sometimes

2. Windows explorer keeps restarting on some folders or at indexing and some times it restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer keeps restarting on some folders or at indexing and some times it restart...: Important note the explorer doesn't restart because of memory or an insufficient computer resources or due to an hardware problem because I have checked and here is what i have found on event viewer First type of logsFaulting application name: explorer.exe, version:...
  3. Windows explorer keeps restarting on some folders or at indexing and some times it restart...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer keeps restarting on some folders or at indexing and some times it restart...: Important note the explorer doesn't restart because of memory or an insufficient computer resources or due to an hardware problem because I have checked and here is what i have found on event viewer First type of logsFaulting application name: explorer.exe, version:...
  4. Windows explorer keeps restarting on some folders or at indexing and some times it restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Computer crashes during sleep, sometimes resets browser cache for some reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer crashes during sleep, sometimes resets browser cache for some reason: Hi,Lately when putting my computer to sleep when I go to bed, when I start using it again the computer has crashed, and sometimes even reset my browser cache and logs me out of apps on my computer, e.g. Steam and Battle.net. Today it logged me out of all websites and...
  6. File Explorer Folders are sometimes empty

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Folders are sometimes empty: Hi, I have been having problems opening folders. Sometimes they are empty. Properties show 0kb. Where have my files that were in the folders gone?? Just now I tried to open an excel and got big red X "This file does not have an app associated with it . . . Please install an...
  7. Videos seem to sometimes cause laptop to freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Videos seem to sometimes cause laptop to freeze: Hi, Recently I've been running into a weird problem. Sometimes, when I play videos on my laptop, my screen freezes for a good 15 seconds with the video audio still playing, and then the screen goes black for a few more seconds, before going back to normal, although with the...
  8. Downloads Folder Freezes Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downloads Folder Freezes Explorer: When I click on the Downloads folder under This PC on the leftmost pane of Windows Explorer, the explorer.exe process freezes. The memory/CPU usage keeps continuously increasing until I terminate the process from the Task Manager. This issue does not happen if I navigate to...
  9. File Explorer Freezes Sometimes

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Freezes Sometimes: Hello,Yesterday (24-Jan-2020) installed update KB4534321.Today I noticed that sometimes windows file explorer freezes.Tried to close its window in the taskbar, once it worked, reopened, it was frozen. Rebooted computer, now it works.Does this update causing the trouble or...
  10. Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder: Hello, I noticed on very rare occasions (only on one hard drive) that when I create a new folder, give it a name and press enter, File Explorer freezes for about 30-40 seconds until it creates that name for the folder. I've tried to rename that same exact folder right after...