Windows 10: Follow-up Email Survey - armed with malware (in case you’re not nice) and questions for...

Discus and support Follow-up Email Survey - armed with malware (in case you’re not nice) and questions for... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After giving a terrible rating in an online survey from a customer service department of a well-known, very large, “trusted” online company in which I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RichardWallaceZ, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Follow-up Email Survey - armed with malware (in case you’re not nice) and questions for...

After giving a terrible rating in an online survey from a customer service department of a well-known, very large, “trusted” online company in which I had dealt with on the phone earlier that day. The very instant I clicked the second “terrible” button on that survey, my computer screen went black. I’ve been dealing with this malware since. The malware is meant to annoy and disrupt, which it has been very good at, it hasn’t done any other damage to my computer that I can tell, since it installed in mid-August.

Running a full scan of Windows Defender and a full scan of Microsoft Safety Scanner did NOT find the malware. After doing a System Restore, I still had the malware, it even activated a couple times during the restore process (thought I was screwed) but it restored okay to a point before mid-August.

The symptom of this malware is to activate the Standby or sleep mode on this computer. (screen goes black, a few seconds later I get “no signal” message on screen, then all lights turn off.) I can press the power button or click the mouse and it wakes up as normal, but mostly goes right back into sleep/standby mode a few seconds or a minute or so later, this happens for first half hour or so. After that it acts up less giving me more time to do things on the computer. If I do nothing it will wake from sleep/standby by itself after a few minutes. When it wakes the fan and fan light turns on, green power light blinks 7 times just like initial turn on, but NO Start Beep, it comes on with the lock screen, press enter or click mouse to get to the welcome screen, enter password and I am back to the exact point of whatever I was doing before. (If I was listening to a song, it comes back on at the exact same point in the song)

I spent the last month or so giving myself a crash course in Process Explorer, Process Monitor and Autoruns. I have learned a little about how to run those tools, but I really don’t know what to look for. Process Monitor is suspended when the malware is activated and in sleep/standby mode, which leaves a gap in the time line. I believe this is where there may be clues to its source, before or after this time gap, but especially if I could see the processes during sleep/standby mode.

pix

I can activate the malware by pressing the functions keys “F7” and ‘F8”, the “Home” key, the “4” on the numeric keyboard and the “0” (zero) and one letter in the alphanumeric keys, and when I press the Win key + PrtScr to get a screenshot (captures the ss okay). There are times when these keys do not activate the malware, I have determined that a process called “mobsync.exe” is always present in the Process Monitor Filter selection box - Process Name dropdown menu when the malware is active. Mobsync.exe is a normal process that belongs to Microsoft Sync Center and the Offline Files feature. I suspect the malware has hidden itself inside this process. When the computer is working normally, usually after its been on a couple hours, the above keys do NOT activate the malware and mobsync.exe is missing from the Process Name dropdown menu of Procmon,s filter.

I did NOT open an attachment to get it, unless clicking a button on a survey is the same.

I was using a standard account, NOT an administrative account when it downloaded.

Windows Defender and Microsoft Safety Scanner, nor newly downloaded Malwarebytes can NOT detect it.

Questions for Procmon users.

Why is there a time gap on Process Monitor when the computer is in malware induced sleep/standby? Is there anything I can change in the filter that will show me what is happening during sleep/standby? If I wake it, by clicking the mouse, the PID stays the same. If I let it wake itself up, the PID changes, Why?

:)

RichardWallaceZ, Nov 1, 2018

2. Survey questions emailed to me

I got a survey in my email recently. A few hours after answering the survey, it occurred to me it may not have really come from the Microsoft Insider program. After searching this forum, all the Microsoft official links, like Phishy survey email
    aren't working returning a 502 error. I did a whois on the domain microsoftemail.com it Looks like it is from Microsoft, but I can't be sure. Here is the email I got:

Follow-up Email Survey - armed with malware (in case you’re not nice) and questions for... 0e20ad9b-40af-419e-a237-9816a61701fc.jpg

The proceed with survey link points to https://click.email.microsoftemail....82365dbfadbbbd66c91b1c2dd209bd3e90def06835125 . Is this real?

Conversation opened. 1 read message.

Crius MacOldenly, Nov 1, 2018
  3. Survey questions emailed to me

Yes that's real. And your link you gave above (Phishy survey email)
    works just fine for me. Maybe it was a coincidental glitch.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 1, 2018
  4. mgroeber Win User

Follow-up Email Survey - armed with malware (in case you’re not nice) and questions for...

Idea: survey of Ovi Suite users about their problems?

I would be in favour of using a site like SurveyMonkey (perhaps we can use this board to draft a list of questions?), as this will be much easier to evaluate the results, compared to people typing them into their e-mails on this board.

Also, the survey would be much easier to handle for users if these were just, say, 10 questions with radio buttons or so. Taking the survey should not take more than 5-10 minutes.

Any suggestions for (non-biased) questions are welcome.

mgroeber, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

Follow-up Email Survey - armed with malware (in case you’re not nice) and questions for...

1. Follow-up Email Survey - armed with malware (in case you’re not nice) and questions for... - Similar Threads - Follow Email Survey

2. Survey Email legit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Survey Email legit: Is the email address legit- Tony Stueve <*** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/survey-email-legit/97557e37-19ae-42ed-b776-81ba1d54db51
  3. Survey Email legit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Survey Email legit: Is the email address legit- Tony Stueve <*** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/survey-email-legit/97557e37-19ae-42ed-b776-81ba1d54db51
  4. Follow up to Previous Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Follow up to Previous Question: Hi there,I previously posted this question, but never interacted with it after asking. I have since changed my Microsoft account password. I have not changed the password I use to log in to my computer, and in fact cannot - the option to change my password does not appear...
  5. Follow up question.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Follow up question.: I'm so sorry but can we answer my latesthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/photos-arent-displaying-on-gallery/162c6566-ecba-459c-a471-9e47d0ef4662?tm=1612410569546 reply here? Thanks....
  6. Follow up unanswered question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Follow up unanswered question: Hello can we pls answer my question? It's ananswered about 2 weeks. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/follow-up-unanswered-question/65b06952-4ecf-40f7-a6be-0d2245fac31e
  7. malware question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    malware question: I found this in start up: twdsuilaunch.exe , is it malware? I've "Disabled" it. Ok just go to add/remove and delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/malware-question/64a81b9a-b07f-4274-b773-a405d073653c
  8. Monitor arm question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor arm question: Hi everyone, I had a question about compatibility with the following Monitor arm with my two monitors, I see the arm has support for 75x75 and 100x100 which my monitors are that size separately. I have the one ultra wide monitor and wasn't sure if that would clear it with the...
  9. Monitor arm question

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor arm question: Hi everyone, I had a question about compatibility with the following Monitor arm with my two monitors, I see the arm has support for 75x75 and 100x100 which my monitors are that size separately. I have the one ultra wide monitor and wasn't sure if that would clear it with the...
  10. Malware Survey 2015

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malware Survey 2015: Greetings, I have Survey 2015 on my laptop. It came with a Fitbit download. I removed the Fitbit download from my laptop but the survey is still there. The survey blocks my Internet Explorer. I tried Anti Maleware, Norton Power Eraser and Norton Anti Virus to remove it...