Windows 10: Font rendering issue in certain UI areas

Discus and support Font rendering issue in certain UI areas in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; There is a problem with some, not all, of my desktop applications on Windows 10. The font in certain parts of the program (view links to photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jalen Ng, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Jalen Ng Win User

Font rendering issue in certain UI areas

There is a problem with some, not all, of my desktop applications on Windows 10.

The font in certain parts of the program (view links to photos below) appear pixelated and out-of-scale, and I have no idea what is causing this issue. This is not an issue with ClearType nor the programs themselves, as this problem arose in a few applications right after a system refresh.

https://imgur.com/a/3q4IBuw

https://imgur.com/a/hoAr8CC

The windows shown above are from TI Connect and Haozip, respectively.

:)

Jalen Ng, Oct 12, 2018
  2. AliJbear Win User

Font rendering in Windows 10

Hi All,

One of themain reasons I find Windows 10 a major step backwards is the quality of font rendering.

After doing plenty of research - and using the magnifier tool - it obvious that a different rendering process is being used compared to Windows 7, which universally used 'colour smoothing' for ClearType. However, in W10, some fonts are 'monochrome smoothed'
    while others are 'colour smoothed'. (use the magnifier to see what I mean) The mono-smoothed characters are FAR less readable than those with colour processing. Apparently this is defended for the reason that colour-smoothing cannot give consistent results
    on 'some rotated displays' because of the arrangement of the pixels in the display panel. Fine, but at least give us the option of controlling the rendering strategy for desktop/laptop use. And, if there IS a problem with colour-smoothing, then why is it still
    used in some places and not others? The areas that are mono-smoothed tend to be the content - such that it gives me fatigue and eyestrain. The better colour-smoothing seems to be reserved for menus and informational areas. Maybe this is by design to stop me
    using my PC for too long?

Is it possible to change the smoothing process that is applied to content fonts? Obviously, this processing is avaialble because it's there in other areas...

Thanks, Alibear

AliJbear, Oct 13, 2018
  3. davidpage Win User
    Strange font in certain menus and dialog boxes

In my Windows 10, some messages and command buttons are in a font different from the system default font after the anniversary upgrade is applied. In the screenshots below, you can see that the toolbar area has the usual system font (Segoe UI), but some of the contents, like the tabs in Notepad++, do not. Which setting should I adjust to change it back to Segoe UI?

Font rendering issue in certain UI areas [​IMG]

Font rendering issue in certain UI areas [​IMG]

davidpage, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Font rendering issue in certain UI areas

Missing Segoe UI Font

I was messing around with a program called Weinaero Tweaker, which lets you change elements of Windows UI like the color of title bars and the size of fonts etc. Anyway I tried using a couple of different fonts as my system font with the tool, and then decided to just go back to the standard "Segoe UI Regular", only to discover it was no longer listed in font selection drop down box in Winaero Tweaker. I then checked Control Panel\Fonts\Segoe UI, and sure enough Segoe UI Regular and Segoe UI Bold are both missing.

Where can I get a copy of the Segoe UI fonts that come with Windows 10 to replace the ones I lost? I tried running sfc /scannow hoping that would fix it, but it didn't work. I also tried running windows update to no avail either. I am download the Windows 10 installation media right now, because I read you could install fonts off the disc, but I haven't been able to find any information on how to do so.

ComponentActual, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Font rendering issue in certain UI areas

1. Font rendering issue in certain UI areas - Similar Threads - Font rendering issue

2. Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.: Hi Team,Our website is using Arial font as a primary font to render content and recentlyfor around 1 month, we got a lot of user's reports that mentioned the font rendering wired. we found a lot of similar issues on Excel onlineExcel Online text showing as symbols instead of...
  3. Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.: Hi Team,Our website is using Arial font as a primary font to render content and recentlyfor around 1 month, we got a lot of user's reports that mentioned the font rendering wired. we found a lot of similar issues on Excel onlineExcel Online text showing as symbols instead of...
  4. Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. changing modern ui font

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing modern ui font: I'm using Windows 10. I want to change my system font to something other than Segoe UI. I tried some registry codes from different websites. The font in some programs like File Explorer and Control Panel was changed perfectly, but the font in start menu, notifications,...
  6. changing modern ui font

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing modern ui font: I'm using Windows 10. I want to change my system font to something other than Segoe UI. I tried some registry codes from different websites. The font in some programs like File Explorer and Control Panel was changed perfectly, but the font in start menu, notifications,...
  7. changing modern ui font

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Font rendering...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Font rendering...: Hey all. I spend the day working on my retina MacBook Pro after quite some time away working on Windows. My XPS has a 4k display and the fonts look horrendous. I mean, they are so thin and they truly disappear as they lack definition. I tried something called MacType which...
  9. Missing Segoe UI Font

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Segoe UI Font: I was messing around with a program called Weinaero Tweaker, which lets you change elements of Windows UI like the color of title bars and the size of fonts etc. Anyway I tried using a couple of different fonts as my system font with the tool, and then decided to just go back...
  10. UI's text rendering on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    UI's text rendering on Windows 10: Hi All, The following is a screenshot of the pop up menu when you right click on the desktop. In particular is the top part of it. I took it using the Windows 10's magnifier utility. [img] As you can see the text doesn't seem to be rendered correctly. That applies...