Windows 10: Food for Thought

Discus and support Food for Thought in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After spending a couple hours on the phone with MS Support and MS Inc., arguing why, when I sign into the Store with my MS Account on my 'digitally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Edwin, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Edwin New Member

Food for Thought

After spending a couple hours on the phone with MS Support and MS Inc., arguing why, when I sign into the Store with my MS Account on my 'digitally entitled' machine, why Windows DVD Player App does not show up in my list of 'Purchased Apps', whether I perform a clean install or not, as I had upgraded from Windows 8.1 with Media Center.
    It was finally alleged to me that discussions were under way to possibly bring WMC back to Windows 10 in some form or another.
    We'll see!

:)

Edwin, Nov 17, 2015
  2. CliveS Win User

Can I purchase a Windows 8 phone from Microsoft for use with wi-fi connection only?

Prof Julie,

Thanks again for another helpful reply - it gives me even more food for thought.

CliveS, Nov 17, 2015
  3. tkchumly Win User
    Reboot issue HTC 8X remains after recent OTA update

Also I just checked all the previous posts and noticed I didn't see anyone with hardware revision number: 0003. Food for thought.

tkchumly, Nov 17, 2015
  4. Food for Thought

I've wondered why they did it that way. Only reason I can think of is they want it limited to that device only. If it showed up in the Store as a purchased App you could install it on all your devices. I don't get the making you jump through hoops the second time around to get it back. I'm not upgrading again just to get it back. They should just let you type your MC key in to get it. I've heard, but not confirmed it myself, that the 10586 ISO's will accept the MC keys on install and activate with them. I wonder if you do that if you get the DVD Player App too?

alphanumeric, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Atomic77 Win User
    That is a interesting question. I always thought that if a computer has a dvd drive there should be some kind of dvd player in the system to begin with no matter what os you have.

Atomic77, Nov 17, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Nope, had to be coming from edition with WMC before the upgrade or purchased it before.

jds63, Nov 17, 2015
  7. Had to be 8 with MC as far as I can tell. I upgraded a 7 Ultimate PC, no DVD Player App. Upgraded an 8.1 with MC PC and got it. Next clean install I lost it again.

alphanumeric, Nov 17, 2015
  8. kkehoe Win User

Food for Thought

This PC is an upgrade from Win7 HP, with no DVD Player entitlement. Shortly before TH2, a small update KB3106246 tried (and failed) to install:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3106246

I could launch the installer manually but it would die without an error. I couldn't find any useful error info.

After installing TH2 via ISO, KB3106246 came down the pipe again and installed successfully so I now have a DVD Player that I shouldn't?

I have another W10 Home PC on the bench that downloaded the same update prior to TH2. I don't know the pedigree of this machine beyond the Vista COA sticker on the side.

kkehoe, Nov 18, 2015
  9. bobjoe Win User
    I'll never understand WHY Microsoft removed Windows Media Centre from Windows 8/10. It's a program that uses up... I don't know, 50MB of space?

It's a great program that a niche number of people use, and of course, Micro$oft just HAD to ruin it for those people.

Who told you this? Microsoft's "support"? (i.e., underpaid, outsourced teenager in India)

Besides, forget about the "Windows DVD Player app". It's a joke. Do yourself a favour and download VLC. The "Windows DVD Player app", along with all the other "metro apps", is a joke.

bobjoe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Food for Thought

1. Food for Thought - Similar Threads - Food Thought

2. Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty,...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty,...: Hi, Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty, Support Clean Energy, Electricity & Water Across the Water Called it Microsoft Donations, Microsoft World or Microsoft Care similar to Samsung Global Goals?, It would be highly...
  3. Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty,...: Hi, Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty, Support Clean Energy, Electricity & Water Across the Water Called it Microsoft Donations, Microsoft World or Microsoft Care similar to Samsung Global Goals?, It would be highly...
  4. Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can u Make An App for Windows on WIndows Store that Lets us Donate Food, Prevent Poverty,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. When are you going to add food it will be better so we can farm more.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When are you going to add food it will be better so we can farm more.: Its soo nice to settle down build a house and settle oh you have soo much if the same tipe of food its boring to build a ranch its like oh i have like 3 stacks of 64 so yeah normal days collecting all 3 types of crops [Moderator Edit: Moved from Microsoft Teams \...
  8. Amazon launches one-hour grocery pickup at U.S. Whole Foods Market

in Windows 10 News
    Amazon launches one-hour grocery pickup at U.S. Whole Foods Market: Free, one-hour pickup from Whole Foods Market is now available at all U.S. locations for Prime members. Prime members can shop thousands of bestselling items including fresh produce, high-quality meat and seafood, holiday favorites, everyday staples, and other locally sourced...
  9. I NEED HELP!! I go to get food and come back to my computer (running 1909) and see that...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I NEED HELP!! I go to get food and come back to my computer (running 1909) and see that...: Some apps were also opened like calculator and an official app called "sticky notes" that I downloaded a year ago. The only program open was steam and I am downloading a verified game. submitted by /u/Zander-Odom [link] [comments]...
  10. What precautions are needed to be 100% safe from people who prepare and deliver food to us?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What precautions are needed to be 100% safe from people who prepare and deliver food to us?: I know this topic is not PC or game-related, the health of the world is at stake so I am taking the time to ask. Contact from sick people should be of the most important consideration to protect public health. What can be done to ensure that 100% protections are in place...