Windows 10: For 10 minutes, the desktop was locked

Discus and support For 10 minutes, the desktop was locked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I freshly installed 1809 Pro to a brand new XPS 15 9570. Once in Windows Explorer, I discovered the desktop to be completely locked. Wouldn't respond... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mauricev, Mar 15, 2019.

1. mauricev Win User

For 10 minutes, the desktop was locked

I freshly installed 1809 Pro to a brand new XPS 15 9570. Once in Windows Explorer, I discovered the desktop to be completely locked. Wouldn't respond to clicks or right-clicks anywhere. Dragging This PC as if to make a shortcut on the desktop showed the "no smoking" sign.

After about 10 minutes or so, Windows released the desktop, and now it's totally normal as if that never happened.

Does anyone know what this phenomenon was?

:)

mauricev, Mar 15, 2019

2. No Lock screen in Windows 10.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you to better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "rolling slideshow ", what exactly are you referring to?
    • When you say that "I can't activate it again.", are you referring that you are not able to Activate Windows 10?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps which you have performed to resolve the issue?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen pictures.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select the lock screen picture.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 15, 2019
  3. wjburl Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update - lock screen timeout

Before the Creator's update, I had my desktop set to turn off the display and lock the screen after 10 minutes. Now the display turns off, but the screen is not locked. I tried the suggestion:

• Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type these commands and press Enter afterwards:
      • powercfg.exe /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOCONLOCK 60
      • powercfg.exe /SETACTIVE SCHEME_CURRENT
    • Note that the 60 is the number of seconds your prefer.
    • Exit Command Prompt and lock your screen. Observe if the changes will take effect.

This does not lock the screen on my system. I rebooted after I made the change. I did change the time from 60 to 600.

wjburl, Mar 15, 2019
  4. For 10 minutes, the desktop was locked

Can i have the same preview layout like window 10 slideshow lock screen on window 10 slideshow desktop background ?

Hi,

You can have the same preview layout for your lock screen and desktop background slideshow as long as the photos are saved on the same folder. To change the desktop background picture to slideshow, please follow these steps:

• Open the Settings app.
    • Click on Personalization.
    • Under Background, choose Slideshow.
    • Click on Browse, and then navigate to your slideshow folder that you have created to specify the directory.
    • Set the time interval. Under Change picture every choose your time preference of between 1 minute and 1 day.

After customizing the desktop background, you'll need to configure the lock screen slideshow settings too. Follow the steps given on this article and select the same slideshow folder:

Personalize your lock screen

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

For 10 minutes, the desktop was locked

1. For 10 minutes, the desktop was locked - Similar Threads - minutes desktop was

2. Screen locking after 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen locking after 5 minutes: Screen locking automatically after 5 mins of inactivity. What to do ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-locking-after-5-minutes/9b2d2b2f-7c4f-44eb-83f4-36e066e8b240
  3. Windows locks after one minute.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows locks after one minute.: I have a user using a DELL LATITUDE 5320 BTS with Windows 10. Her laptop continues to lock itself if she is not in front of it in a minute. I've changed the screensaver timer to 20 minutes and changed her sleep and hibernation to "Never" in her power settings. What am I...
  4. Locking the desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Locking the desktop: In Windows 10, is there a way to lock the positions of the icons on the desktop? It seems that certain small changes can scatter them all over, seemingly at random. It's a bother to manually reposition them all. I've made it a little easier to recover by taking a screen...
  5. Windows 10 lock by itself after 1 minute

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 lock by itself after 1 minute: My laptop locks by itself after 1 minute even if the display settings are set to 5/10 minutes please check the screenshot attached. I tried to restore the default power settings but it did not work. I tried the solution linked here below but it did not work:...
  6. locked desktop

locked desktop: I'm using a Lenovo with windows 10 and when I let the unit sit idle weather it is the desktop or a solitaire game open the mouse cannot close the game or do anything. I have to do the ctl-alt del and either select task master or just hit cancel and then I can begin using the...
  7. Desktop Locks After 5 Minutes of Inactivity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desktop Locks After 5 Minutes of Inactivity: So after the latest update my computer has been locking after 5 minutes of inactivity. I have looked through all the power options and sleep timers and no matter what I do I cannot seem to turn this feature off. This is happening to a friend of mine as well so I'm wondering...
  8. Desktop Locks After 5 Minutes of Inactivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Locks After 5 Minutes of Inactivity: So after the latest update my computer has been locking after 5 minutes of inactivity. I have looked through all the power options and sleep timers and no matter what I do I cannot seem to turn this feature off. This is happening to a friend of mine as well so I'm wondering...
  9. Windows 10 / 1 minute lock screen problem

Windows 10 / 1 minute lock screen problem: Being an Apple user, but my wife asked me!! not keyed up on Windows, l read up on possible causes! by this time my wife was pulling her hair out! trying to set her windows 10 laptop from going into 1 minute lock screen. l went all through the "regedit" procedures, taking...
  10. Windows 10 Desktop Locked

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Desktop Locked: Hi, I hope you can help me with my W10 desktop problem. My desktop is showing zero icons. The background scene is showing fine. The desktop seems to be 'Locked.' When I right click on it nothing happens. When I try to drag a folder or shortcut to the desktop nothing happens....