Windows 10: For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup?

Discus and support For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have Acronis to backup my whole computer (C:) weekly. I have it backup a a full version on my PC every 5 incremental versions (so for 4 weeks it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jester070993, Mar 23, 2020.

1. For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup?

I have Acronis to backup my whole computer (CFor future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup? :) weekly. I have it backup a a full version on my PC every 5 incremental versions (so for 4 weeks it backs up an incremental version, and then on that 5 week is backs up a whole version, if I am understanding this correctly). Incremental only backs up the things that were changed in the previous version, not the whole thing, right? So what exactly are the differences between all these back ups?

I'm also pretty unfamiliar with the backup name scheme in the backup drive also and would appreciate some clearing up. In my G: drive (the drive I use strictly for the backup), there are files labeled as MYNAME-PC-full_b4_s1_v1.tib, MYNAME-PC-full_b21_s1_v1.tib, and so on, which I'm assuming are the full PC backups, and then even more files labeled MYNAME-PC-inc_b21_s6_v1.tib, MYNAME-PC-inc_b21_s5_v1.tib, etc. What exactly do these labels mean? And when it comes to restoring a PC from a backup, how would i know which one to choose and which one(s) would I want to choose?

Which leads me into my main question - How do I actually restore a PC from these backup files if I were to run into this issue of having to fully restore my PC - if someone could clear this up and help me understand, explaining the process and how to do it in layman's terms, I would really appreciate it.

This week I plan to do some dual booting and want to make sure I'm aware of how to fully restore my computer if all my data got deleted and my main drive with Windows was corrupt. How would I go about restoring it with these backups I created?

Thank you for the help!

submitted by /u/jester070993
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jester070993, Mar 23, 2020
  2. Tyrael Win User

Possible to restore data from Acronis True Image to Drifferent Model Drive...

Thanks for the head up! My money is well spent on Acronis!! *Smile For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup? :)

Now I can restore any Acronis's Image Archive backup into another HDD instead of wasting my time installing patches, application and getting hassle from Microsoft to re-register my Product Key.

Tyrael, Mar 23, 2020
  3. twilyth Win User
    Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup?

How to restore system image backup

Ryan,

Best of luck then.

By the way, at some stage in the future you will need to start using a third-party facility for making system images but you would still be able to restore your current images using your current version of an installation disk, System repair disk or Recovery drive.

Windows is going to drop its own facilities for making & restoring system images at some stage but there is no published schedule for this.

Many people in this forum recommend the Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - TenForums.

I use free versions of Acronis True Image instead [they allow free versions for computers with Western Design, Samsung, Seagate hard drives - one of which must always be in or connected to the computer for the application to run]. Several Macrium Reflect users have said that it is better than Acronis but I have never got around to switching.

You cannot mix n match - you must use
    • Windows' own system images & Windows' own image restoration procedure,
    • or Macrium's images & restoration, or
    • Acronis' images & restoration.
    You cannot restore a Macrium image using Acronis etc.

Denis

Thema:

For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup?

1. For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup? - Similar Threads - future reference restore

2. How to restore from a full image backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore from a full image backup.: My aunt left me 12 discs with her computers backup on it including one system repair disc. She recently passed away and left me with no knowledge of how to access the contents of the discs. All I know is it was made with windows 10 and I have windows 10 but other than that I...
  3. How to restore from a full image backup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore from a full image backup.: My aunt left me 12 discs with her computers backup on it including one system repair disc. She recently passed away and left me with no knowledge of how to access the contents of the discs. All I know is it was made with windows 10 and I have windows 10 but other than that I...
  4. How to restore from a full image backup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to restore system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...
  6. Backup Disk image issue- does fragmentation transfer ? Acronis

Backup Disk image issue- does fragmentation transfer ? Acronis: The install on my wd black primary drive became corrupted. Tried for hours using dism and even a reinstall and nothing worked. I have a wd blue drive as my backup image. It is fine other than being heavily fragmented. It was at 20 and have it down to 12. If I use Acronis now...
  7. Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014

Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014: Hi, I just updated to Windows 10 and I am loving it! I want to create a system image using a Acronis True Image 2014 bootable CD. I created a backup using the CD just fine and it includes the MBR the C: drive. When i try to restore the image, Windows 10 will boot but when i...
  8. No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup: Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution, desperately need to get this working...
  9. Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.: Hi folks, hope everyone is well. I have made some backup of windows 10 that was installed on a SSD and just to make sure it would work ok, I installed the backup on a standard HDD, but getting lots of problems when I actually reach the desktop, monitor keeps flickering...
  10. Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??: I installed the Preview on a couple machines with 10" screens and while I liked the overall look and feel, I didn't care for it on those smaller screens. So I took them back to originals which was a totally no fun process. Probably because I did the restore using the MS and...